Default Digital Copy- a rip off?

I just purchased Street Kings locally this morning for $27.99 plus tax. I don't really like paying so much money for a new release-especially when I think the price has been jacked up because of the extra "digital copy" disc included. It got me thinking about the extra disc- and specifically how much does it cost Fox/Lionsgate et al... to bundle in the extra disc and provide a case that holds 2 discs...I think they are trying to rip off customers. A friend of mine working as an Accountant for Viacom (owners of Paramount) reckons its costs the studios an extra $1...
    Wouldn't it be better if there were single and 2-disc versions available? And how many people are going to actually use the extra digital copy disc..?? I certainly won't be watching the movie on my portable media player or 15.4" laptop anytime soon after experiencing the actual Bluray on my 57" 1080p HDTV this afternoon.
    If I want a copy to download to a portable media device or laptop I'll rent the DVD version and rip it.
    Anyone else feel this is a sneeky money making scam???.......
    Quote Originally Posted by Blufan View Post
    I just purchased Street Kings locally this morning for $27.99 plus tax. I don't really like paying so much money for a new release-especially when I think the price has been jacked up because of the extra "digital copy" disc included. It got me thinking about the extra disc- and specifically how much does it cost Fox/Lionsgate et al... to bundle in the extra disc and provide a case that holds 2 discs...I think they are trying to rip off customers. A friend of mine working as an Accountant for Viacom (owners of Paramount) reckons its costs the studios an extra $1...
    Wouldn't it be better if there were single and 2-disc versions available? And how many people are going to actually use the extra digital copy disc..?? I certainly won't be watching the movie on my portable media player or 15.4" laptop anytime soon after experiencing the actual Bluray on my 57" 1080p HDTV this afternoon.
    If I want a copy to download to a portable media device or laptop I'll rent the DVD version and rip it.
    Anyone else feel this is a sneeky money making scam???.......
    Yeah, Fox/Lionsgate aren't jacking up the price for digital copies... the $27.99 ($39.98 MSRP) is regular fare for them.... gots nothin' ta do with them darn digital copies.

Disney it seems is actually going to charge extra for digital copies but it's possible (as is the case with Prince Caspian) that they will offer two releases - one without the Digi Copy for less money and one with the DC for a few bucks more.

As for the other comments in your post.... oh, well. People use the digital copies and more often then not people like the feature/option of viewing the movie on an iPod. Just because you don't like it/see the point of DCs doesn't mean that the big mega corporations are going to stop adding them.
    "When I'm drunk I like to Google 'Daniel Waters underrated' and see what comes up." - Daniel Waters
    I dont use them since I have a Zune, but its nice to have if ever in case. I wouldnt pay extra for one just yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
    Yeah, Fox/Lionsgate aren't jacking up the price for digital copies... the $27.99 ($39.98 MSRP) is regular fare for them.... gots nothin' ta do with them darn digital copies.
    Exactly. I still do not understand why people keep complaining about the digital copies. We aren't paying extra for them, yet people think it's the worst idea in the world. I absolutely love them, as I throw 'em on my iPod and have them for in between classes or my upcoming flight.
    TV: Samsung LNS4092D
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V463
    Speakers: Klipsch Quintet SL Series
    Subwoofer: Klipsch Sub-12
    Player: PS3
    : 200
    : TheRescue
    In the case of the disney/prince caspian I won't be paying extra for the digital copy (or even sure if i'll buy it for that matter). Most cases it's nice having it in case I decide to use it. But for the most part I wouldn't ever use it to put on my ipod unless it's one of my top 10 fav movies. I have 4 Blu movies that came with digital copies and they will probably just sit there.

Who knows maybe I'll sell some of em to a friend for a $ or 2 to lower my cost
    = 236
    What movies are they? I'll take 'em haha.
    TV: Samsung LNS4092D
    AVR: Yamaha RX-V463
    Speakers: Klipsch Quintet SL Series
    Subwoofer: Klipsch Sub-12
    Player: PS3
    : 200
    : TheRescue