Go Back   High-Def Digest Forums > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Software General Discussion
Reload this Page I need Help understanding the No Country for Old Men Ending (Spoiler Warning!)
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... Last>>

Default I need Help understanding the No Country for Old Men Ending (Spoiler Warning!)

I saw the movie last week, adn I still cant Understand the damn Ending! Seriously it was one of the most WTF ending ive seen in quit a while. I keep trying to figure out what happened and what the ending really meant, but it jsut cant come to me.

(Spoiler) Ok, So the Hitman dude got in a car accident after killing the guys wife, then he walks off with a bone sticking out of his arm and is never seen again, adn tehn the Sheriff is talking about some story of some old dude about makinga Fire or something, tehn the movie ends! WHAT!? are you kidding me! You give me over 2 hours of awesomeness and you end it like that! CURSE YOU COEN BROTHERS!
    can someone help me understand.
    Last edited by Vesh Drown; 04-14-2008 at 01:35 PM.
    Blu-Ray: PotC 1, PotC 2, AVP, 300, Rocky Balboa, 300, Corpse Bride, First Blood, Superman Returns, Black Hawk Down, Final Fantasy: Spirits Within, The Prestige, Terminator 2, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Crank, Halloween, Dawn of the Dead, Spiderman Trilogy, No Country for Old Men.

HD-DVD: King Kong, Batman BEgins, Bourne Supremacy, Hot Fuzz, V for Vendetta.

Vi Veri Veni Versum Vivus Vici
    I don't usually add smart ass comments but this time I need to. It is The Coen Brothers not COLLEN
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. DeeJ View Post
    I don't usually add smart ass comments but this time I need to. It is The Coen Brothers not COLLEN
    well soooooorry.
    Blu-Ray: PotC 1, PotC 2, AVP, 300, Rocky Balboa, 300, Corpse Bride, First Blood, Superman Returns, Black Hawk Down, Final Fantasy: Spirits Within, The Prestige, Terminator 2, Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy, Crank, Halloween, Dawn of the Dead, Spiderman Trilogy, No Country for Old Men.

HD-DVD: King Kong, Batman BEgins, Bourne Supremacy, Hot Fuzz, V for Vendetta.

Vi Veri Veni Versum Vivus Vici

Default Heres help

Just like every hollywood movie that gets acedemy awards/oscars/whatever, it has a depressing ending, that makes no sense, usually negative, with a reflection on how horrible life really is, and how their is nothing we as humans can do to change it. This is how No country ends, and cold mountain, mystic river, attonement, million dollar baby, etc., etc. Typical liberal trash, this movie stunk!
    SPOILERS

The ending pretty much tells you that the entire movie wasn't about Lewellyn's running from Anton... The ending reveals that the film was actually about Tommy Lee Jones' character getting to damn old and how it is getting harder to track the new age and more slick criminals during that time.
    Blu-Ray : 115Movies
    Last Blu-Ray Purchase: The Slammin' Salmon, The Collector
    Check out my entire BLURAY Collection
    Yeah, I do not get the ending either. Too weird.
    A/V Equipment
    Toshiba A-35 HD-DVD Dvd Player, Toshiba A2, Samsung 61" LED DLP 1080P Television, XBOX360, Onkyo TX-SR608 Receiver PS3 For Movies Only
    XBOX 360 For Games
    Panasonic DMP-BDT300 3D Player
    SDVD 1822
    362BR, 29 BR3D
    95 HD DVD
    Here is what I posted earlier in the discussion of the review:

Quote Originally Posted by Judge Pen View Post
    The problems people have with the movie are straight out of the book. The emotional response you feel when Moss gets killed off-screen or at the end with the meanderings of Ed Tom are intentional. Its the lack of closure that haunt people when they lose someone they care about or when tragedy happens. Things are going one way and the BAM suddenly the whole world changes. It changes and then it moves on as if nothing happened, and the resoutions and the emotional responses of the people that were affected by the tragedy are not neatly tied up in a nice little package. It's daring to see a movie (or a book, but more so a movie) tinker with conventional story telling to make one feel that bitterness, confusion, deflation that one would feel if confronted with a tragedy and then, with the lingering sadness of life after the tragedy. Which is what Ed Tom (and the audience) feels at the end. There is nothing left but meandering thoughts and dreams.
    I loved the movie, but I understand the ending is jarring--its intended to be that way.
    Video: 67" Samsung 1080p DLP
    HD Players: 60gb PS3; Sony BD; HD-DVD A-2
    Audio: Onkyo TXSR 705; Polk Speakers
    : 4
    : 149
    The ending is explained by the title. No more, no less...
    In my opinion, the point about Anton Chigurh's car accident is that even someone as seemingly super-human as Chigurh is not above random events that can destroy one's life. Nothing in the movie was fair--good people died and bad people died without any real rhyme or reason.

In the book, this accident led to a bit more detail about a slight sub-plot involing the children that helped Chigurh, but that's not relevant to the movie.
    Here is what I posted earlier in the discussion of the review:

I loved the movie, but I understand the ending is jarring--its intended to be that way.
    In my opinion, the point about Anton Chigurh's car accident is that even someone as seemingly super-human as Chigurh is not above random events that can destroy one's life. Nothing in the movie was fair--good people died and bad people died without any real rhyme or reason.

In the book, this accident led to a bit more detail about a slight sub-plot involing the children that helped Chigurh, but that's not relevant to the movie.
    judge pen is my favorite user on the no country forums so far, he knows and understands this film more than anyone, i loved it too, absolutley loved it, and i dont think like other people said in the forum it just ends, the ending was perfect, perhaps tommy lee jones' best scene of his career... the quote about his dream was the explanation that there is NO country for old men, and that the violence will only get worse, and since he realizes that he is now an old man, he cannot keep up with the country anymore, with again there being no country for old men, maybe young men like the young drug dealers and gangsters and people like anton chigurh, but not any old men...
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post
    judge pen is my favorite user on the no country forums so far, he knows and understands this film more than anyone
    Thanks. That and $4.50 will buy me a cup of coffee at Starbucks.
    I can't understand the end, because IMO there was no end. It was just over. It is quite fair, at least IMO, to say that the movie really, truly sucked. (In fact, look up the word "suck" in the dictionary, and I'd be willing to bet my bottom dollar that under "slang, v.," you'll find these words; "No Country for Old Men.")
    ~~~~~~~ From the Blu skies above ~~~~~~~

PS3 60GB
    72" Toshiba DLP
    Blu-ray Discs owned - 85
    Quote Originally Posted by BluAngel View Post
    I can't understand the end, because IMO there was no end. It was just over. It is quite fair, at least IMO, to say that the movie really, truly sucked. (In fact, look up the word "suck" in the dictionary, and I'd be willing to bet my bottom dollar that under "slang, v.," you'll find these words; "No Country for Old Men.")
    In the words of another great Cohen brother's movie, "Hey man that's like your opinion."

Seriously, you would have hated the book too. I've never said this movie is for everyone. In fact, I would wager only a very small percentage of people would like it. But, to me, saying "it sucked" in different ways without a dialogue on the film's strength's and weaknesses really doesn't get us anywhere. I've talked to several people who can articulate why they thought is was or wasn't a good movie and support their thoughts with reason and logic. I always appreciate that type of discussion.
    Seriously, you would have hated the book too. I've never said this movie is for everyone. In fact, I would wager only a very small percentage of people would like it. But, to me, saying "it sucked" in different ways without a dialogue on the film's strength's and weaknesses really doesn't get us anywhere. I've talked to several people who can articulate why they thought is was or wasn't a good movie and support their thoughts with reason and logic. I always appreciate that type of discussion.
    I've never read the book but I do love this movie. I know that most people expected to see some sort of a shootout between our "hero" and "villain" at the end but that didn't happen so a lot of people who saw the film got pissed off. IMO, I think it ended perfectly, but I'm also anti typical Hollywood ending.
    My system:
    Projector - 1080p Runco Video Xtreme VX-2000d
    Screen - 120 inch Carada
    Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray player
    Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player
    Onkyo TX-NR905 receiver
    Martin Logan Clarity Speakers
    Great movie. It deserves all the recognition it got.

Simply, life is random and uncontrollable. There are messed up people in the world and crazy things happen. You never know whats going to come around that next corner.
    "Drainage! Drainage, Eli, you boy. Drained dry. I'm so sorry. Here, if you have a milkshake, and I have a milkshake, and I have a straw. There it is, that's a straw, you see? You watching?. And my straw reaches acroooooooss the room, and starts to drink your milkshake... I... drink... your... milkshake!"
    Daniel Plainview (Daniel-Day Lewis) There Will Be Blood