Page 574 of 574 FirstFirst ... 74474524564572573574
Results 8,596 to 8,601 of 8601
    Bolo is online now Member

'The Love Witch'

This is a pretty bizarre movie. It's made in the style of 60's/70's Eurosmut, like an 'Emmanuelle' film. However, unlike those films, its goal is not to provide titillation or shock, rather to provide discussion of gender roles. There are very few people who would want to see a movie like this. I am one of them, and even I found a bit to criticize. The biggest problem being it goes on way too long. Thankfully, the part that's too long is at the beginning and after that it gets going. But the first 40 minutes should've been chopped in half. The film is almost entirely the product of one woman named Anna Biller who wrote, directed, produced, designed the sets and costumes yadda yadda. So maybe she was just so in love with every inch of her own work that she couldn't bare to cut some stuff in order to move it along. I get that the slack pacing is characteristic of the type of film she's going for, but still, it's a big problem for a film like this.

The only other thing that bugged me was that they make such a point of making this look like a film out of the 60's, so the few modern items are distracting and break the effect. You'll have an actress with hair, makeup, and clothes that nobody's worn since they finished shooting 'Beyond The Valley of the Dolls' standing in a frame where a 2012 Ford Focus is parked in the background. Or a character will make a call on an iPhone. It just feels jarring.

But I'm still glad I watched this and may even watch it a second time. I enjoyed the film's style and Biller obviously has a lot on her mind. It's far from perfect, but even if this film was perfect at what it was trying to accomplish, I still wouldn't recommend it to anybody because it likely would not appeal to most tastes.

Boston007 is online now Member

John Wick 2 - it sucked

Bolo is online now Member

'The Silence of the Lambs'

I owned this one on VHS, but was kinda sick of watching it by the time DVD came around, so I hadn't seen it in 20 years. I felt like seeing it again and so I picked it up for about 7 bucks.

The film holds up quite well. It's been hugely influential and imitated, but that hasn't detracted from its impact. Foster gives a really solid performance and the whole woman-in-a-man's-world never feels overplayed or preachy, it's just something she has to deal with. Hopkins has all the fun, but there's also a really good supporting cast. I had forgotten Charles Napier gets a small role in there and so it made me smile when he popped up.

The presentation is nothing special. Probably only slightly better than standard def. The cinematography still has that murky 90's look but I'm glad they didn't mess around with the colour scheme or contrast to try and make it look all flashy in an attempt to update it. I think that overcast day look is part of the film's personality.

SilentBob is offline Member

The Lego Batman Movie 3.5/5
    PQ: 5/5
    3D: 3.75/5
    AQ: 4/5

A fun movie that enjoyed making fun of itself and the many forms Batman has taken over his many years. Some great laughs but also has a few moments where the story kind of lags/lacks the high energy set from the beginning of the film. The 3D was pretty good but at times wish the could of pushed the boundaries with the action a bit, same with the first Lego Movie. Would of been great if the old fashion 60's Bam! Whap! and various other sound bubbles came flying at you out of the screen. The audio was overall good, but wish it had a bit more bass and a proper Atmos track Warned Bros. Still loved them mouthing off all the guns shots with the pew!pew!pew! So a recommend from me
    DVD/HD-DVD/BLU-RAY/UHD COLLECTION
    HOME THEATRE EQUIP:

JVC X950 4K e-Shift 3D Proj w. 106" screen
    Marantz sr7010 Dolby Atmos/DTS:X 5.2.4

GAME SYSTEMS: PS3, PS4, WiiU, XBOX ONE, SWITCH

cupboy is online now Member

Eating Raoul. Excellent movie. I've played it several times.

Logan
    Star Wars Episode VII: The Force Awakens
    "Have a Good Time, All the Time." - Viv Savage, This Is Spinal Tap.