Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... Last>>

Default Worst Blu-ray Transfers?? Titles to Avoid

Well, now that the Blu-Ray standard is finally coming into its own lets hear everyone's mistakes. I mean the worst offenders that studios ought to be ashamed to have released!

The movies that were horrible transfers and are to be avoided:

Total Recall (Lionsgate)
    Stargate (Lionsgate)
    A Christmas Story (Warners)
    The Fifth Element (Sony) (note Sony will re-release this disc with a better transfer, avoid at all costs the first transfer)
    Last edited by mitchelljd; 03-01-2007 at 09:07 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchelljd View Post
    The Fifth Element (Sony) (note Sony is or has re-released this disc with a better transfer, avoid at all costs the first transfer)
    Do you have a source for that info? I have the old copy and if the new copy is out there I want to know about it and I want to get the new copy.
    I love all High-Def media regardless of format.
    My home theatre:
    HDTV: LG 55" Passive 3D LED HDTV 240Hz
    Receiver/speakers: Yamaha YHT-270 5.1 650 Watts
    Blu-ray player: PlayStation 3 20GB with a 250GB drive installed
    Cable: Comcast Digital Cable with HBO, Showtime & DVR (HD channels 1080i)
    Remote: Logitech Harmony One
    I thought they were going to Eventually release 5th Element but nothing yet...

Having said that, Stargate, hands down
    "PeAcE is but a shadow of death, desperate to forget its painful past"
    PowerMac G5 + MacBook Air+ Custom Gaming PC + PSPgo +500GB PlayStation 3 (Linux) + Xbox 360 Elite + Harmony 1000 + TiVo Series 3+ XM + Panamax 5100 + Sony 60" SXRD + Denon 2807 + Onkyo 6.1 Surround + AppleTV+ iPhone 3GS
    PSN: Fusion_Id
    It dreams in Blu-ray
    AVP
    Rocky

Titles I noticed thus far
    House of Flying Daggers is definetly on that list.

Also add the god awful NIN:Beside You In Time. Doby said it sux!
    The nerd is a tirelessly predictable creature whom the promise of boobies is like a bacon sandwich to a starving wolf. - Yahtzee
    List of My Games!
    Audio:
    Denon AVR4311CI+SVS 1646 PC Plus Subwoofer+Paradigm Monitor 9V5 x 2+
    Paradim CC-390+Paradigm ADP-370 x 2
    Video:Panasonic PT-AE2000U Projector
    Consoles:Wii+WiiU+Gamecube+PS3+360+DSi XLS & Lite+PSP*2+Dreamcast+Saturn+SNES+Genesis
    PSN/WiiU:Godstar/XBL:G0DSTAR --> with a zero.
    I have the Fifth Element on Blu-Ray but havn't watched it yet. Is it really that bad? (I got it free from the Best Buy buy 1 get one free deal)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkin-Monkey View Post
    I have the Fifth Element on Blu-Ray but havn't watched it yet. Is it really that bad? (I got it free from the Best Buy buy 1 get one free deal)
    I dont think its as bad as people make it out to be
    "PeAcE is but a shadow of death, desperate to forget its painful past"
    PowerMac G5 + MacBook Air+ Custom Gaming PC + PSPgo +500GB PlayStation 3 (Linux) + Xbox 360 Elite + Harmony 1000 + TiVo Series 3+ XM + Panamax 5100 + Sony 60" SXRD + Denon 2807 + Onkyo 6.1 Surround + AppleTV+ iPhone 3GS
    PSN: Fusion_Id
    It dreams in Blu-ray
    Fifth element is a horrible transfer, hands down terrible considering it is a state of the art sci-fi film. However, not as hands down terrible as Total Recall or Stargate
    Stargate for sure. I wonder why someone mentioned Christmas Story. I saw that on HD DVD and thought it was ok for what it was. Oh well, to each their own.

I still haven't seen Total Recall, but I think it will be a dud as well.

-John
    I have Total Recall and I didn't thnk it was that bad. It appear to have good video and the audo was DTS ES 6.1 Matrix if I remember. I have Fifth Element and it is atleast better than DVD. I been desirng but avoiding Stargate. AVP was bad - I think a lot of people don't likle Fox movies because of the price.
    Sony 46in XBR2, VX32L and Panasonic PT-500AE 720p Projector
    Sony 20G (160G) PS3 Blu-ray Player 1080p HDMI with PSP
    XBox 360 (HDDVD) and Wii for Games. DirecTV HR21/HR20 HD DVR HDMI
    Harmon Karmon 525 Reciever with JBL/Polk Audio speakers
    106 Blu-rays so far. 500+ DVD's
    Quote Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
    Also add the god awful NIN:Beside You In Time. Doby said it sux!
    NIN ???? Are you sure ? It has received raving reviews about its audio and video quality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
    House of Flying Daggers is definetly on that list.
    I'm gonna have to second that. I also have the DVD (which ain't that spectacular either) and switching between the upconverted DVD and the BD on my display reveals very little difference. It's much worse than The Fifth Element, which I think only suffers from a very dirty source.
    "I think mine would look better if it was in Dubly" - Nigel Tufnel

"The PCM 5.1 mix is clearly superior -- it could bitch-slap the Dolby with one hand tied behind its back." - Peter M. Bracke

"I know what the final product should look like - Blu Ray suits my films better," - Michael Bay, director/producer
    I vote for TOTAL RECALL too. It was my first BR title and I was shocked when I saw the dull colors and grainy picture. I sold it on EBAY quickly. I did get theimport HD which has a slight audio speed-up but the picture is imporved dramatically.

STARGATE looks great outdoors but once inside it wanders into VHS territory.
    I hope LIONSGATE starts showing some skill in mastering older catalog titles.

AVP and PLANET OF THE APES are also dissappointments.
    Quote Originally Posted by Evileye View Post
    I vote for TOTAL RECALL too. It was my first BR title and I was shocked when I saw the dull colors and grainy picture.

STARGATE looks great outdoors but once inside it wanders into VHS territory.
    I hope LIONSGATE starts showing some skill in mastering older catalog titles.
    Glad you sold it on ebay, I also hope Lionsgate gets their older catalog title skill mastered.

Right now their newer movies are good, ie lord of war, saw, decent. Those are pretty great.
    My friend bought kiss of the dragon and man we compared his sd dvd looked better then the hd version...LOL horrible