Palmer is offline Administrator

Default The Lion King (Signature Collection) - HDD Review

Not really worth the double dip if you own the Diamond Edition, BUT there are a few key differences.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4923...signature.html

Bubdylan is offline Member

Long Live the Clouds!

I'm really glad to see the missing retreating storm clouds/ spirit restored. I think it's even less than two seconds long, but it's a really haunting image that stood out to me when I was a kid. Thanks for highlighting that difference in the review.

Dr Kain is offline Member

The cloud bit is back? I might have to pick this up then.

Boston007 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    The cloud bit is back? I might have to pick this up then.
    I agree, if it's back I may pick it up as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    I agree, if it's back I may pick it up as well.
    No hesitation for me. And I just pulled the trigger on a vault-inflated Diamond Edition three months ago. :/

Still, it's The Lion King in HD. I'll double dip to get the clouds. The kids at the hospital where I work will be thrilled with my Diamond Edition. E'rry body wins.

Boston, I remember in the original LK thread you said you hadn't ever seen the movie. Did you remedy that? If so, what did you think? Hard to imagine a proper experience given all the hype, but also hard to imagine not being moved by The Lion King.

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

The inclusion of the cloud spirit does impact the story by quite a bit. It's funny what just a couple of seconds does. Why again did Disney omit this on previous releases?
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    The inclusion of the cloud spirit does impact the story by quite a bit. It's funny what just a couple of seconds does. Why again did Disney omit this on previous releases?
    I've never seen a primary source on that flub, but if the bazillion message board posts I read when it first surfaced can be trusted, Disney has never acknowledged it as a creative decision and it's generally concluded that it was a flat out screw-up the Mouse House has maintained an arrogant silence about. But again, that's all second hand. Internet Second Hand, which is like eleventy-fifth hand.

Boston007 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bubdylan View Post
    No hesitation for me. And I just pulled the trigger on a vault-inflated Diamond Edition three months ago. :/

Still, it's The Lion King in HD. I'll double dip to get the clouds. The kids at the hospital where I work will be thrilled with my Diamond Edition. E'rry body wins.

Boston, I remember in the original LK thread you said you hadn't ever seen the movie. Did you remedy that? If so, what did you think? Hard to imagine a proper experience given all the hype, but also hard to imagine not being moved by The Lion King.
    Yup I did finally watch it, with my nieces and nephew, who also had never seen it. I thought it lived up to all the hype I heard - which is rare

Just ordered from Disney Movie Club, I'll get a nice lithograph with it.

I've never seen a primary source on that flub, but if the bazillion message board posts I read when it first surfaced can be trusted, Disney has never acknowledged it as a creative decision and it's generally concluded that it was a flat out screw-up the Mouse House has maintained an arrogant silence about. But again, that's all second hand. Internet Second Hand, which is like eleventy-fifth hand.
    I didn't even know about the missing cloud bit until I read this review. I'm looking forward to watching this movie again with that inclusion.

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

The cloud bit is one thing, but has Disney restored the original animation to the crocodiles or the waterfall, or returned the "S E X" gag in the stars?

http://lionking.wikia.com/wiki/The_L...elease_Changes
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    The cloud bit is one thing, but has Disney restored the original animation to the crocodiles or the waterfall, or returned the "S E X" gag in the stars?

http://lionking.wikia.com/wiki/The_L...elease_Changes
    Dunno about S E X, but doubt it. The crocs and waterfall (don't go eraaasing waterfalls ... I'm here all week) have not been restored. Neither have the original soft Savannah sounds during the opening logo.

I believe nothing that was changed on purpose has been changed back. The clouds were an unacknowledged accident.

(Open to correction on any of this, but I noticed the sounds, crocs, and waterfall were the same.)

Edit: I just noticed that the site you linked already updated the missing clouds portion with reference to the Signature Edition. So I doubt anything else was restored.
    Last edited by Bubdylan; 08-29-2017 at 03:08 PM.

Dr Kain is offline Member

I'll wait until the movie goes on sale for like $15. I've already bought it three times over and I bought the orignal BD the day it came out.

I think I'll wait for the inevitable UHD release myself. That goes for any Disney movie I already have on Blu-ray.
    Current Computer Rig; 6850k (OCed to 4.0GHz), MSI GTX 1080 Twin Frozr VI, Asus X99-A, 32GB 3200MHz Ram, 2x 500GB 850 EVOs SSDs (OS/Programs | High Priority Games), 1x6TB WD Black (Media), 1x4TB WD Black (Games). Bunch of externals.
    Peripherals; Acer Predator 27" QHD 144hz G-Sync & Asus 23" 120hz Monitors, HTC Vive, Logitech G933 Wireless 7.1 Headphones, Corsair K95 Platinum Mechanical KB, Glaive & Polaris RGBs
    Region Free Player: Sony BDP-S5100
    UHD Player: LG UP970

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I'll wait until the movie goes on sale for like $15. I've already bought it three times over and I bought the orignal BD the day it came out.
    If you swing the right deals with Disney Movie Club you can get it for as low as $10.

But your general comments already sort of go in line with the review - if you own the previous Diamond Edition you may opt to skip it.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"