Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Palmer is offline Administrator

Default Shin Godzilla - HDD Review

This is not a drill, people. There's a man back in the suit.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/47089/shingodzilla.html
    Last edited by eNoize; 08-12-2017 at 01:32 PM.

Boston007 is offline Member

Looking forward to seeing what Dr Kain as to say, our unofficial Godzilla expert on these forums

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    Looking forward to seeing what Dr Kain as to say, our unofficial Godzilla expert on these forums
    CD is another Godzilla fan as well, but perhaps more "official."

This one focusing a lot more on the people's reactions might be interesting. I bought this release week - wish it was a 4K combo.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

I picked it up last week, and I still need to watch it. Judging from the preview it looks to be along the lines of Return of Godzilla.

dianebrat is online now Member

I'm a closet Godzilla fan and have both imported and domestic films in my library and I made the effort to go see Shin Godzilla in the theater and really enjoyed it.

That being said the US release and its lack of any bonus features really ticked me off because there's so much you could have with it and its view on the political machinations that go on during the movie.

Dr Kain is offline Member

About the movie, or the disc? I heavily enjoyed the film. I saw it in theaters, but boy was it hard to follow with all of the text everywhere. There we English subitles, Japanese text, English text, etc. I'm glad this print is clean as it makes it so much easier to watch the movie. Although, Godzilla is the only character in the movie to not have a name/job description listed. :-p

I have to watch it a few more times before I can really place the film among my ranking, but I will say that the audio on the disc sucks. I had to turn my receiver up to -8.0 just to hear the center channel good and I only felt my subwoover once when Godzilla's breath attack was blowing things up.

Also, the bonus feature was awful as the guy in the red shirt kept getting his facts mixed up, his names, his characters, his monsters, etc.

The video quality is superb though and like I already said, I am quite glade Toho gave Funimation the clean version. Oh, and they touched up some of the CGI on Godzilla, which was nice because Godzilla looked like a PS4 version that was green screened into the movie when I saw it in theaters. The train missiles and dentistry scene trucks still look awful though.

If you have not seen this movie though, I must stress do not go into this expecting your typical Godzilla film. This is a Hideki Anno film first, a Godzilla movie second. You will have everything from Anno from lost of talk, lots of politics, tons of pointless characters, close up facial shots, black screens of text that say something like, "This conversation has been edited," and the exact same soundtrack from Evangelion. Oh, but boy is the music to this film awesome. God damn it is a rocking soundtrack, which was the biggest thing I felt the 2014 movie lacked. I also love how this movie does not keep Japan in a bubble. The whole world is effected by this event one way or another, like it was in the 84 movie.

gravis778 is offline Member

I have a lot of respect for the reviewer in how he handled this review. I haven't seen the movie yet, and it is on my "maybe" list. The reason I like this review is because, whenever a movie in a franchise decides to do something dramatically different, reviews usually suffer, with people complaining "it's different!" It is very nice to see a reviewer take an objective approach and view a movie for what it is, instead of what its not.

How is the Dub? Did Funimation do the dub, or just distribute it? To me, part of the fun of Godzilla movies is watching the horrible English dubbing, and as such, I usually prefer the dub. To me, that is the main reason to watch Toho movies - the horrible dubbing!

The dubs from the 70s movies were like cartoon characters, they really add to the enjoyment of the movies especially Godzilla vs. Megalon.

gravis778 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by themisfit138 View Post
    The dubs from the 70s movies were like cartoon characters, they really add to the enjoyment of the movies especially Godzilla vs. Megalon.
    Yes, but even the dubs from the 80s and 90s were enjoyable.

The dub for this movie is from Funimation, but it is still terrible. Live action and dubbing just don't mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    The dub for this movie is from Funimation, but it is still terrible. Live action and dubbing just don't mix.
    That's all part of the fun!

That's all part of the fun!
    But I want to watch the movie and enjoy the movie, not have my experience hindered by garbage dubbing. Those dubbing to the recent Ultraman movies were horrid as everyone spoke like William Shatner.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    But I want to watch the movie and enjoy the movie, not have my experience hindered by garbage dubbing. Those dubbing to the recent Ultraman movies were horrid as everyone spoke like William Shatner.
    That sounds great to me! The bad dubbing is part of what I enjoy about these movies.

dianebrat is online now Member

That sounds great to me! The bad dubbing is part of what I enjoy about these movies.
    I'm with the Dr on this one, life is too short for crappy dubbing.

More power to you. I hate dubs. It looks like the audio is out of synch when I watch them. Plus, bad dubs are the reason American audiences will not take these films seriously. Companies think it is okay to make a mockery out of Japanese films/TV series because "it is cool." That is why we have yet to have any official releases in the US for the Kamen Rider or Metal Hero series. Hell, look how long it took just to get Sentai.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast