Palmer is offline Administrator

Default Joe Versus The Volcano - HDD Review

Now THIS is why I love the film fan community and why it's important to just enjoy what you want. Here's a movie that doesn't get much love, but for Matthew Hartman and his wife, Joe Versus The Volcano is one of their all-time favorites, which makes me happy he's the one who snagged it for review. For fans, you'll be pleasantly surprised by the new 2K scan.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4712...hevolcano.html

eastx is online now Member

Great review. I need to pick this one up soon.
    -Paul Acevedo
    Editor, Windows Central, iMore, and Android Central
    Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo
    Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!
    • Display: Samsung LN52A550 52-inch LCD
    • Surround: Sony something
    • Player: Sony BDP-S580

Bubdylan is online now Member

This is one of my favorite films, and I paid for next day shipping when it came out the other week. This is the longest I've had to wait for the blu release of a favorite film and I was starting to wonder if it would ever happen.

The banding during the very first shot of the moonrise (before a cut-away and then quick return to the main shot) was pretty bad on my t.v., but I wouldn't rule out my set-up as an intensifier. But other than that, yes, as you say, a great PQ, especially compared with how drab it's looked on other formats.

It's not a very funny movie to me. Just amusing. But, daffy as it is, the deep parts resonate with me. "Courage" is a life long pre-occupation for me (so, I love Stiller's Walter Mitty as well), and I buy into all the poetic beats of the movie. Every one of them.

This movie also turned Ray Charles' version of Old Man River into one of my favorite songs.

signia76 is offline Banned

Watched it one time years ago. Wasn't a fan.

NJScorpio is offline Member

I'm a big fan of this one, and will be glad to retire my DVD.

skinnyb37 is offline Member

I was so happy to see this review (and see that this is finally available on BluRay!). When I saw it show up on the home page, all I thought was how this was going to be bashed and receive one star. Although I don't make my decisions based on the film's ratings here (generally), it was nice to see someone else liked this movie. I stumbled across it on HBO or something when I was first away from home and finally had cable (finally more than 5 stations!). I absolutely love this movie...but unlike Matthew, I married a woman who teases me about my like of this movie and doesn't understand it. But, to paraphrase Gary from Weird Science: "she's from Canada. The girl has no morals.".

Thanks for the great review! Bummed about the lack of bonus features, but will definitely be picking this up.

ShannonNutt is offline HDD Reviewer/Blogger

I actually saw this in the theater way back then. I didn't really care for it (but hey, I'm not a fan of "The 'Burbs" either), but I do think it was visually impressive for its day. I know Roger Ebert loved this one.
    "I'm trying Ringo...I"m trying real hard to be the shepherd."

Bubdylan is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
    I actually saw this in the theater way back then. I didn't really care for it (but hey, I'm not a fan of "The 'Burbs" either), but I do think it was visually impressive for its day. I know Roger Ebert loved this one.
    Ebert did love it, and like Matthew, he pointed out that it was not like anything he'd seen before. He said (paraphrasing here) that he thought after watching it for a few minutes that he had never seen this movie before (meaning any movie of which this was a kind of retelling).

That's not a big selling point for me; I've never cared how "original" a movie was as long as it was good (don't get me wrong, a bad beat in a film is especially tiresome if on top of being bad it's been done to death), but it was a big deal to Roger Ebert.