Palmer is offline Administrator

Default Alfred Hitchcock's Lifeboat - HDD Review

A thoughtful, absorbing, and substantive work from the master of suspense, David Krauss says Alfred Hitchcock's Lifeboat is Recommended on Blu-ray.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/39867/lifeboat.html

Boston007 is online now Member

Thanks for the review. Heard great things about this film and even though I own the UK steelbook I've never seen it!

So which release is on the UK steelbook, is it THIS one or the Kino one?

Also, do you know where Alfred makes his appearance in this film? It's somewhat ingenious
    I never saw the film but my friend spoiled it for me.

dbacksfan is offline HDD Contributor

Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the U.K. steelbook release. If it's connected at all with Fox, then I imagine it would be the same transfer.

One of the photos in the review shows the cameo. It is indeed ingenious. Apparently, Hitchcock had recently gone on a severe diet and lost around 100 pounds (!), and he was very proud of himself. So he wanted everyone to know about it, so he devised this clever cameo using before and after shots of himself. The diet product that's advertised is fictional though.

Quote Originally Posted by dbacksfan View Post
    Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the U.K. steelbook release. If it's connected at all with Fox, then I imagine it would be the same transfer.
    Hopefully someone can answer this. But tonight when I get home from work I'll check it out. Maybe I will watch it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by dbacksfan View Post
    One of the photos in the review shows the cameo. It is indeed ingenious. Apparently, Hitchcock had recently gone on a severe diet and lost around 100 pounds (!), and he was very proud of himself. So he wanted everyone to know about it, so he devised this clever cameo using before and after shots of himself. The diet product that's advertised is fictional though.
    INGENIOUS. LOL I love it

Hitchcock's appearances in his movies reminds me of Stan Lee's appearances in his comic movies. Very cool.

darkash is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    So which release is on the UK steelbook, is it THIS one or the Kino one?
    Your question is confusing. At the top of the review page it says the studio is Kino, which means this disc was released by Kino. So your question is, is it Kino (THIS one) or the Kino one?

Sorry, but I don't know if the UK release is using another encode either.

Quote Originally Posted by darkash View Post
    Your question is confusing. At the top of the review page it says the studio is Kino, which means this disc was released by Kino. So your question is, is it Kino (THIS one) or the Kino one?

Sorry, but I don't know if the UK release is using another encode either.
    You're right, my apologies.

My question should have been is this transfer the same that's on the UK Steelbook version.

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    Hopefully someone can answer this. But tonight when I get home from work I'll check it out. Maybe I will watch it tonight.
    Would expect a caps a holic posting now or eventually. Have you checked there?

I know that with Village of the Damned that the transfers were identical but the bit rate was what made the U.S. release slightly better, but not by much.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

darkash is online now Member

I checked and there's nothing for the US version. They have the UK and the Greman releases and there is quite a difference in quality and and aspect ratio.

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by darkash View Post
    I checked and there's nothing for the US version. They have the UK and the Greman releases and there is quite a difference in quality and and aspect ratio.
    Keep checking then, one would expect an update soon.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Brian is offline Member

The MOC version looks quite nice, I wonder how this version compares. It might even be the same master used. Judging by the review, I would say so.