Palmer is offline Administrator

Default 'RoboCop 2: Collector's Edition' - HDD Review

E has reviewed 'Robocop 2' on Blu-ray, saying the film is "obviously aiming for the same level of intelligence and insight as its predecessor, but completely oblivious of how Verhoeven accomplished it. And yet, its lack of subtlety and complexity is what makes the sequel entertaining." Check it out.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/41656/robocop2ce.html

Cheers!

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Here's my RoboCop 2 story: In 1990, I was a teenager working a summer job in a remote area of upstate New York. The nearest city with a movie theater was an hour's drive away, and I wasn't licensed yet. One weekday, I caught a ride into the city and got dropped off at the mall for just enough time to see an early matinee of one movie. I had to choose between Die Hard 2 or RoboCop 2. I was a big fan of the originals for both of those, and because I'd been isolated for most of the summer hadn't heard the negative buzz for either sequel.

I ultimately chose to see Die Hard 2, which was disappointing, but I was a pretty undemanding viewer at the time and enjoyed it. On the way out of the mall, I swung by a Waldenbooks and picked up the paperback novelization for RoboCop 2, which was as close as I'd get to another movie for the next month. I read the book and thought it was OK. I pictured it in my head as making a really awesome movie.

I didn't see the movie itself until it came out on VHS the following year, and I was pretty appalled at what a piece of garbage it was. I felt vindicated for choosing Die Hard 2 over that.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

mattedscreen is online now HDD Reviewer / Movie Fan

For a fun time, read the bat$#!^ crazy comic adaptations based on Miller's original screenplays for 2 and 3.
    Need something fun &/OR funny? Watch This!

eNoize is online now The Professor

That's funny Josh. I had a similar experience when choosing to pay for 'Die Hard 2.'

And yeah, Matt is right! Frank Miller's full vision of what he wanted is available in the comics, and it's completely nuts and extremely violent!

When I first popped in the disc, I thought I was going to hate the sequel because I remember being incredibly disappointed, but I was surprised to find myself laughing through the whole thing and having a good time.
    M. Enois Duarte
    High-Def Digest Contributor
    Hi-Def Collection
    Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
    we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael

Csm101 is offline Member

What happened to all the comments? There were 42 last time I was here. Anyways, I really like Robocop 2 and may eventually pick this version up, although I'm getting tired of double dipping blus. The one thing that I'm not crazy about Robobocop 2 is the hokey score.

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

I enjoyed both Robocop 2 and Die Hard 2. Definitely DH2 better as every so often I bust out the Die Hard box set and watch them. But to describe Robocop 2 as garbage, meh, not so much. It as, as E says, more funny than action. The irony of Detroit being bankrupt is funny though as they did this in recent years (filed bankruptcy.)

Trying to remember if it was Robocop 2 or 3 - which one is the one in which
    Spoiler:
    Murphy has so many directives in his programming that while his partner is trying to bust people he's talking about the birds and nature, etc...? It gets so bad with directives that he eventually electrocutes himself to wipe his memory so he can function.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

eastx is offline Member

Is anyone else annoyed that RoboCop went from silver to blue in the sequel?
    -Paul Acevedo
    Editor, Windows Central, iMore, and Android Central
    Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo
    Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!
    • Display: Samsung LN52A550 52-inch LCD
    • Surround: Sony something
    • Player: Sony BDP-S580

Boston007 is online now Member

Josh, as the Knight in Indiana Jones 3 says

You chose...WISELY
    Last edited by Boston007; 03-18-2017 at 08:51 AM.

signia76 is online now Member

All of the sequels are shit when it comes to Robocop, Die Hard, and Rambo.
    19" Panasonic CRT
    White girlfriend
    Dell 410
    Fleshlight
    Duct tape

eastx is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by signia76 View Post
    All of the sequels are shit when it comes to Robocop, Die Hard, and Rambo.
    Not at all. Die Hard with a Vengeance is pretty fun and features a young Samuel L. Jackson before he became a household name.
    -Paul Acevedo
    Editor, Windows Central, iMore, and Android Central
    Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo
    Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!
    • Display: Samsung LN52A550 52-inch LCD
    • Surround: Sony something
    • Player: Sony BDP-S580

Robocop 3 is really bad, at least Robocop 2 was almost watchable.

Thulsadoom is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by eastx View Post
    Is anyone else annoyed that RoboCop went from silver to blue in the sequel?
    Oddly enough, (though I'm not so sure how accurate this is) I remember reading a long time ago that the colour scheme on Robo is exactly the same as the first film, but it was designed in the first film to compensate for the filmstock used, and for the sequel you're simply seeing it in a more heightened/accurate way. (It was a long time since I read/heard that, so I could be talking completely out of my posterior).

I'm definitely going to be ordering this. Robocop is in my top 10, and despite being disappointed in many story-telling aspects of Robocop 2, I still love the film. Hell, just for Tippet's effects alone, it's a work of art. Despite the flaws, it's still a great, fun film. And getting some extras is a small miracle. The DVDs and even the previous Blu Ray releases have always been bare-bones.

I remember recently a fuss being made about a film/story that had a child villain, as if it was so original and cutting edge, and clearly none of the film critics had ever watched enough films, because they'd forgotten Hobb in Robocop 2

When I was a kid, I loved the poster so much, I couldn't help re-drawing it in pencil.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

eNoize is online now The Professor

That is a really awesome drawing! And I agree. I always liked the simplicity of the poster.
    M. Enois Duarte
    High-Def Digest Contributor
    Hi-Def Collection
    Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
    we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael

Vidfreek is online now Member

Robocop 2 is a blast IMO, obviously not on the level of the first, but I still really enjoy watching this one, it feels like the first one, just not as good

Robocop 3 we wont even discuss

I'll have to pick this up, could use a good version of it, I already have the box set though and the MGM one looks fine enough to me, more like I remember it actually, so I'm in no rush

For those who missed or don't remember the previous Robocop 2 thread, it was pretty fun with both fans and detractors alike sharing our thoughts and stories without devolving into unnecessarily pointed arguments.

Myself, I'm in the "love it" camp; the only thing that holds the movie back is the greatness of the original.
    PSN, XBL, CFN, twitch, facebook, twitter, instagram: Opinionhaver