Attebery is offline Member

Default 'Rules Don't Apply' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed Warren Beatty's 'Rules Don't Apply'. Here's what he thought of the star director's return to the big screen after a 15 year absence...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4348...dontapply.html
    Check out my new author website and
    get your free copy of BRICK RANSOM!
    www.mikeattebery.com

Bolo is offline Member

Despite the poor reviews, my interest in Hughes makes me want to give this a shot. He's a fascinating historical personage and I think a truly great biopic could be made (it just hasn't yet). I know I've said this before, but I think 'There Will Be Blood' manages to achieve a lot of the things I would want from a Hughes biopic without being about Hughes. Especially the stuff at the end where he's a reclusive nutter. Obviously Plainview and Hughes have a lot of differences, but I think there are a lot of similarities there too. In 'There Will Be Blood' and 'The Master' P.T. Anderson just gets the right tone I would want from a Hughes biopic.

I found Scorsese's take just missed the mark. It's not bad, but it's also not interesting or very entertaining. DiCaprio felt somewhat miscast in the role. Beatty seems like a better choice as an actor to play Hughes than DiCaprio. I have a hard time thinking of anybody who feels exactly right to play Hughes; I keep thinking Warren Oates would've been good.

BTW, the other filmmaker in the equation was Christopher Nolan. He was trying to get a Hughes biopic off the ground, but Scorsese was the bigger dog at the time. I think I remember him floating it again as he was discussing post-Batman trilogy projects, but it appears not to have happened. I have enjoyed several of his films, but think he's the wrong choice for the material.

ShannonNutt is offline HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    I found Scorsese's take just missed the mark. It's not bad, but it's also not interesting or very entertaining. DiCaprio felt somewhat miscast in the role. Beatty seems like a better choice as an actor to play Hughes than DiCaprio. I have a hard time thinking of anybody who feels exactly right to play Hughes; I keep thinking Warren Oates would've been good.
    [
    I didn't mention it in my review, but Terry O'Quinn in THE ROCKETEER is actually my favorite big-screen Hughes.

"Tell them the dream is over...tell them Howard Hughes said so."
    "I'm trying Ringo...I"m trying real hard to be the shepherd."

Attebery is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by ShannonNutt View Post
    I didn't mention it in my review, but Terry O'Quinn in THE ROCKETEER is actually my favorite big-screen Hughes.

"Tell them the dream is over...tell them Howard Hughes said so."
    I agree! I've had an idea for a movie/book in that vein for years!
    Check out my new author website and
    get your free copy of BRICK RANSOM!
    www.mikeattebery.com

Bolo is offline Member

O'Quinn embodies Hughes very well. Seeing that movie as a kid was part of what got me interested in Hughes.