Default 'Moana' 2D and 3D - HDD Reviews

Michael S. Palmer has reviewed 'Moana'. Here are his reviews:

2D:
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/42576/moana.html

3D:
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/42838/moana3d.html
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Bubdylan is offline Member

I found the dialogue and the songs pretty lame, except the great "Shiny" song, which I liked for the strangeness of the performance. I agree with Boston about the chicken being an abysmally bad side character, though the lady I saw the movie with loved the chicken most of all. *shrugs*

I thought it was the best looking bad movie since The Good Dinosaur. The color palate was beautiful, but not harsh ... easy on the eyes. And if only the beautiful mythical images had had a better myth to go with it, I'd have loved it.

By the way, about the Disney themes of following your own heart, choosing your own path, bucking the traditions of your parents/village/authority figures, discovering the value of your inner self, your inner voice, your own identity, etc, etc... I have to wonder what these themes are supposed to be in contrast with any more?? I don't know a single kid who doesn't firmly believe that we choose our own destiny, shape our own path, do our own thing, etc. It's so taken for granted that I have to wonder if these themes are just stuck in writers' heads on auto pilot. I don't know how these "discoveries" can be discoveries for any modern kid, because it truly seems understood from age 10 that we're all in charge of our own destinies. It's like preaching to the choir. I wish they'd find something worth discovering for the heroes of these films. Or maybe I shouldn't say "worth discovering" but in need of discovery.

twonunpackmule is online now Sponsored by Crony

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    Never seen Tangled. Really have no interest in it.
    It's my favorite of "modern Disney." It did what Frozen didn't.
    PSN/Live - Twonunpackmule
    3DS - 0817 - 4464 - 1180

Quote Originally Posted by CorruptedDragon View Post
    Look at God of War. That is one of the best looking games I have ever seen.
    MAD even knows when to bow!

Bolo is offline Member

I would generally consider the film to be fairly middle of the road, which is what I expect from Disney these days. It's prettymuch a 'Pirates of the Caribbean' with a Disney princess grafted on. Or if you just took 'Pirates of the Caribbean' and removed Orlando Bloom's character so that it was just Kiera Knightley's feisty do-gooder and Johnny Depp's vain scoundrel having misadventures on the high seas. It never really rises above just checking each and every box in the 'Pirates of the Caribbean' and Disney Princess formulas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubdylan View Post
    I found the dialogue and the songs pretty lame, except the great "Shiny" song, which I liked for the strangeness of the performance.
    I felt the same way. 'Shiny' was the only song that stood out for me too. I find it strange how Matt Stone & Trey Parker write way better, catchier, and even more compelling Disney-type songs when they're mocking Disney than Disney has been able to produce themselves in like 20 years.

I agree with Boston about the chicken being an abysmally bad side character, though the lady I saw the movie with loved the chicken most of all. *shrugs*
    I took my niece and nephew to see it and the chicken was their favourite part, too. Granted, they're 3 and 4.

Palmer is offline Administrator

Default 'Moana' 2D and 3D - High-Def Digest Reviews

2D:

3D:

Vidfreek is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    Disney's lack of support for UHD, Dolby Atmos, and DTS:X is breaking my heart...

but this movie's incredible and fun and beautiful so I can't wait to share it with my little one.
    This pretty much as I read back to the rest of the thread, I have no idea why a studio would already have an Atmos track for this thing and then redo it in another format...it makes no sense to me at all, Atmos scales for everyone anyways so whats the problem Disney? Uh, its annoying

Palmer is offline Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
    This pretty much as I read back to the rest of the thread, I have no idea why a studio would already have an Atmos track for this thing and then redo it in another format...it makes no sense to me at all, Atmos scales for everyone anyways so whats the problem Disney? Uh, its annoying
    All I can guess, at this point, is that moving to X or Atmos is more complicated (or expensive) than you and I know. It's a big shame, though.

Attebery is offline Member

Default 'Moana' 2D and 3D - High-Def Digest Reviews

2D:

3D:

Attebery is offline Member

Not sure why those reviews were linked to this old thread, instead of starting a new review discussion like we always have, but I've just created a new thread and re-linked everything. Here you go:

http://forums.highdefdigest.com/blu-...t-reviews.html
    Check out my new author website and
    get your free copy of BRICK RANSOM!
    www.mikeattebery.com

Bolo is offline Member

I'd probably rather that this thread just become the discussion thread for the disc so that existing conversations can continue. But if you want to do a clean break, it's your site.

michealo is offline Watcher of stances

thread cleaned up, please remain on-topic
    why hate? participate!
    Elitist Indifference FTW
    xbox live = Wrangl3r / PSN = thummper / wiiU = mm / steam = michealo

Freakyguy666 is offline Member

I don't know how these "discoveries" can be discoveries for any modern kid, because it truly seems understood from age 10 that we're all in charge of our own destinies. It's like preaching to the choir.
    ...so much of this movie's intended audience is under 10 therefore your point is hereby invalidated.
    Last edited by Freakyguy666; 03-10-2017 at 10:30 PM.

BiggerBoat is offline Member

Thanks Michael for the write up and capturing why I found this Disney effort so captivating . Much better in my mind that Frozen both visually and story-line wise. I don't understand why Frozen did so much better. This is an easy buy for me, even after seeing it twice with my kids in theaters. (I would have liked it even without kids.)

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    but the 7.1 soundtrack is just okay compared to other Disney productions.
    Complaints so far is how weak, how much lower the volume and range seem to be.

Looks like the Disney<>Amazon pissing contest is continuing.

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Freakyguy666 View Post
    ...the much of this movie's intended audience is under 10 so your point is invalidated.
    Disney, since the very first animated movie has always tried to cater to people of all ages. So making such a comment ..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast