Landy is offline Go Jets Go!

Default 'Inferno' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'Inferno' on Blu-ray. Shannon says 'Inferno' is about on par with the prior two Robert Langdon movies -- not great, but not as bad as American audiences made it out to be. Sony delivers another quality Blu-ray here, so if you enjoyed the first two films this one is worth a look.

Full review here:
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/40040/inferno.html

eastx is online now Member

At least they finally fixed Tom Hanks' hair in this one.
    -Paul Acevedo
    Editor, Windows Central, iMore, and Android Central
    Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo
    Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!
    • Display: Samsung LN52A550 52-inch LCD
    • Surround: Sony something
    • Player: Sony BDP-S580

Dr Kain is offline Member

I don't get the hate on for these films. The first two were really solid as far as entertainment goes. I'm wondering if people just didn't like them because they showed the church in a more truthful manner than the high and mighty that can never do any wrong that people want to pretend they are.

eastx is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I don't get the hate on for these films. The first two were really solid as far as entertainment goes. I'm wondering if people just didn't like them because they showed the church in a more truthful manner than the high and mighty that can never do any wrong that people want to pretend they are.
    -Paul Acevedo
    Editor, Windows Central, iMore, and Android Central
    Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo
    Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!
    • Display: Samsung LN52A550 52-inch LCD
    • Surround: Sony something
    • Player: Sony BDP-S580

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I did not hate the first movie because it paints the church as villains. I loathed it because it was a really terrible, stupid movie that felt like it was 95 hours long.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Dr Kain is offline Member

It was harmless entertainment.

dielinfinite is offline Member

Was I alone in seeing almost zero promotion for this movie? I was looking forward to this movie because I've read the books but I was only able to find a trailer for it maybe three weeks before it was scheduled to release. Had I not already known about it, I would not have known this movie existed

ShannonNutt is online now HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by dielinfinite View Post
    Was I alone in seeing almost zero promotion for this movie? I was looking forward to this movie because I've read the books but I was only able to find a trailer for it maybe three weeks before it was scheduled to release. Had I not already known about it, I would not have known this movie existed
    It was fairly well promoted for an October release. It still turned out to be Sony's 9th biggest performance at the North American box office last year (and 5th worldwide) - which tells you how horrible that movie studio is doing these days (Ghostbusters was their biggest domestic hit last year, believe it or not).

They released it Halloween weekend, which may not have been the smartest move. But hey, it's Sony.
    "I'm trying Ringo...I"m trying real hard to be the shepherd."

I like these movies, I put em in the adventure category. You have a very similar format to National Treasure and yes, Indiana Jones, with these being much more dark. Not as fun to watch as the aforementioned series due to a complete lack of comedic elements, but it fills a different niche with all the conspiratorial content which is fun in it's own way.

Boston007 is offline Member

I need to see these movies.

I read Angels and Demons and liked it a lot.

dielinfinite is offline Member

Hmm, I was hoping this was as good as the previous ones but it really isn't.

I think it moves along way too fast that you can't really absorb the exotic and historic locations nor does the movie really pause to highlight the significance of the art that serve as the clues throughout the movie. I'm not asking for an art history book but the movies' focus on symbols, ritual, art, history, and architecture was what set them apart. This movie pretty much strips all that away.

When the movie finally does take a breath in act 3, it's to focus on an inconsequential and underdeveloped love story that goes nowhere instead of reinforcing the connection to Dante or the Divine Comedy which is barely touched on.

Overall the movie moves along way too fast; because of this it does away with the previous films' strength, and it forces the characters to make leaps of logic that don't really make sense in order to get to the next plot point and location so quickly that none of it feels significant

skinnyb37 is offline Member

Meh. Might've been a fine movie had I not read and enjoyed the book. I know movies rarely equal the book, but this one ruined the ending (as far as I'm concerned). Part of what I enjoyed about the book was the (kind of) twist at the end...this movie didn't even bother with that and just went for cookie cutter/Hollywood ending and ruined it for me.

Nonetheless, good review Shannon!