Landy is offline Go Jets Go!

Default 'Quantum Leap: The Complete Series' is coming February 7

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

As this series was released down under, a domestic release is only inevitable. I know there's a lot of material here so the challenge will be to keep it priced within reach. Pricing goes hand and hand with the comments below. I would not sacrifice quality though to save a dollar. Alternately, they could have split up the seasons or even "volumes" if the sale price was a concern.

The vast majority of the original music has been restored for our release!
    This is the Mill Creek that I know, unless I am reading it wrong. I suspect the reason that not all of it is in the set is for licensing reasons. When Mill Creek released Andy Griffith Show on dvd they opted not to license the very familiar show's opening theme. In the case of Quantum Leap, I could be wrong, maybe there's a different explanation (??)
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

dianebrat is offline Member

The previous DVD release had the majority of it music replaced, I'm assuming from the release that Mill Creek actually managed to get most of it back, there are some episodes that really are ruined without their original songs that were integral to their plots, I'd hope several of the worst offenders get their soundtracks restored.

I'm in for this release, QL was a watershed show for me growing up.

Quote Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
    The previous DVD release had the majority of it music replaced, I'm assuming from the release that Mill Creek actually managed to get most of it back, there are some episodes that really are ruined without their original songs that were integral to their plots, I'd hope several of the worst offenders get their soundtracks restored.
    I wish tv shows that licensed music did so with the intent of rebroadcasts and home video releases, then the music would never have become an issue. I suspect that because this was not the case that the original artist was thinking dollar signs and asking too much, so the home video distributor said F You. It sounds like things were renegotiated and there were still some holdouts looking for a big payday.
    It's not like when Microsoft asked for Start Me Up from the Rolling Stones, they asked for a million and MS said okay without blinking.
    Have even heard The Who wishing they asked for more when CBS started their CSI shows. I suspect the deal with The Who was as I commented above, with the intention of rebroadcasting and home video rights.

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    I wish tv shows that licensed music did so with the intent of rebroadcasts and home video releases, then the music would never have become an issue.
    Prior to DVD, there was no afterlife for TV shows on home video. VHS releases of TV series were a very rare occurrence. For TV shows made prior to the late 1990s, the idea of needing to clear music rights for video wasn't even something the producers gave any thought to.

Of course, for any modern TV show it's standard practice to include a clause covering all current and future media formats.

I suspect that because this was not the case that the original artist was thinking dollar signs and asking too much, so the home video distributor said F You. It sounds like things were renegotiated and there were still some holdouts looking for a big payday.
    It's usually the record labels more so than the artists themselves. Things get really tricky if the music was originally distributed by a label that later went under.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Oh, here's the biggest music replacement complaint..
    The most criticized instance[citation needed] was the removal of Ray Charles's "Georgia on My Mind" from the season two finalé, "M.I.A.", during a scene in which Al dances with his first wife Beth.
    I saw the show when it was broadcast, that truly was one of the most moving scenes they did in the show so fans were notably upset.

Word is that the Australian releases were complete music-wise.

gravis778 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    Prior to DVD, there was no afterlife for TV shows on home video. VHS releases of TV series were a very rare occurrence. For TV shows made prior to the late 1990s, the idea of needing to clear music rights for video wasn't even something the producers gave any thought to.
    This explains why there never was a DVD set of Muppet Babies or Kids Incorporated or Rags To Riches. Finding either of the first two on the internet is hit and miss, with most being capped from old, degraded VHS tapes that people recorded back in the 80s, and I can't find the third show at all.

$59.99 on Amazon right now.

Anyone have the inside scoop on which bands held out for more money and thus did not get included in this release? Would like to know so I can boycott them!

$59.99 on Amazon right now.

Anyone have the inside scoop on which bands held out for more money and thus did not get included in this release? Would like to know so I can boycott them!
    Thanks,
    It's almost never the bands, it's the music label that cause this mess 99% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by dianebrat View Post
    Thanks,
    It's almost never the bands, it's the music label that cause this mess 99% of the time.
    I see posts all the time about the "Season 2 closer" episode that was totally ruined by the music issue. Was that the one that had the song Georgia on My Mind ?

So which music label can kiss my ass? Hopefully once this set is released someone out there can figure it out. It would be awesome if Mill Creek isolated the music score and allowed fans to reinsert the song if need be but that's just a pipe dream.

I see posts all the time about the "Season 2 closer" episode that was totally ruined by the music issue. Was that the one that had the song Georgia on My Mind ?

So which music label can kiss my ass? Hopefully once this set is released someone out there can figure it out. It would be awesome if Mill Creek isolated the music score and allowed fans to reinsert the song if need be but that's just a pipe dream.
    Yep, the S02 finale with Georgia on my Mind missing is the big one since it was a very moving episode and the song was exactly the right one for it.

The issue is that they spent a lot of time laboring over what music they would use in episodes and how the songs would tie into the events, so to see them gutted was just heart breaking.

paaron46 is offline Movie Dude

Quote Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
    This explains why there never was a DVD set of Muppet Babies or Kids Incorporated or Rags To Riches. Finding either of the first two on the internet is hit and miss, with most being capped from old, degraded VHS tapes that people recorded back in the 80s, and I can't find the third show at all.
    I think this was also the issue with 'Malcolm in the Middle' and why they only released one season on DVD.

Quote Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
    I think this was also the issue with 'Malcolm in the Middle' and why they only released one season on DVD.
    I think that one is more likely a simple casualty of the market shift from TV-on-DVD to streaming. The entire series is available on Netflix now.
    Josh Z
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

paaron46 is offline Movie Dude

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    I think that one is more likely a simple casualty of the market shift from TV-on-DVD to streaming. The entire series is available on Netflix now.
    It was the music issue. Costs were too high. I remember being mad about it because I bought the first season and then couldn't get anymore.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Malcolm-Middle/870

Quote Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
    It was the music issue. Costs were too high. I remember being mad about it because I bought the first season and then couldn't get anymore.

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Malcolm-Middle/870
    I don't know the show well enough to tell if music has been replaced, but my wife has been working her way through Malcolm in the Middle on Netflix this month.
    Josh Z