Attebery is online now Editor-in-Chief

Default 'Now You See Me 2' - High-Def Digest Review

Shannon has reviewed 'Now You See Me 2'. Here's what he thought...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/34842/nowyouseeme2.html

Vidfreek is online now Member

I swear there were points in this movie that people just showed up out of the blue, specifically Chase, shots of the horsemen walking through town and coming to the magic shop without Chase only to then have Chase be in the shop with them in a later scene.....where did he come from? Was he there the whole time? Weird things like that I picked up throughout the film, which fits well with the poorly written script, obviously too much going on and weird edits/cuts I guess?

Overall though I did enjoy the movie, but it was certainly sloppy in comparison to the first one, which was a surprise hit for me when it came out, this one is fine, but not close to the first

Drew18 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
    Shannon has reviewed 'Now You See Me 2'. Here's what he thought...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/34842/nowyouseeme2.html
    Shannon, two things:

First, you goofed in the audio section. A Dolby Atmos track can't fold down to a DTS-HD MA track. Therefore, it won't default to a DTS track, for those not equipped with Atmos. It will default to a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track. You've been making this same mistake, on all of your reviews for discs that contain an Atmos track.

Second, did you also receive the 4K UHD disc for review? Will you be posting a review of that one, in the near future?

Kopkiwi is offline Member

I really enjoyed the first movie, this one however I really struggled to get into. I eventually stopped trying and turned it off about 45 minutes in.
    My gear:

Projector: Sony VPL-HW65ES
    Receiver: Marantz AV8801
    Fronts: Monitor Audio Gold GX200
    Centre: Monitor Audio Gold GXC350
    Surrounds: Monitor Audio Gold 50
    Sub: To come
    Amps: Emotiva XPA-3 and XPA-2
    Region B Blu-ray Player: PS4 500GB
    Region A Blu-ray Player: PS3 Slim 120GB

ShannonNutt is offline HDD Reviewer/Blogger

Quote Originally Posted by Drew18 View Post
    Shannon, two things:

First, you goofed in the audio section. A Dolby Atmos track can't fold down to a DTS-HD MA track. Therefore, it won't default to a DTS track, for those not equipped with Atmos. It will default to a Dolby TrueHD 7.1 track. You've been making this same mistake, on all of your reviews for discs that contain an Atmos track.

Second, did you also receive the 4K UHD disc for review? Will you be posting a review of that one, in the near future?
    Thanks for catching this, you're correct...Dolby folds down to Dolby, of course.

No, the studios have been stingy with review copies lately - sending us only ONE version of their releases. We always request Ultra HD as our 'preferred' version, then 3D (if available), then the standard Blu-ray in that order. But they pretty much send us what they want.
    "I'm trying Ringo...I"m trying real hard to be the shepherd."

NJScorpio is offline Member

To me, magic is very cool as a story aspect because there is no magic, and it's really about a very cool technique to deceive. The impression I got from the trailers seems too flighty, too loose with physics and such...it seems very easy to write magic, much harder to write a logical sequence to explain how that was pulled off. I honestly don't recall if the first movie explained it's magic well, or just had many scenes of CGI-support "magic", like the uncuffing of handcuffs when held by the police (wasn't he arrested, wasn't he searched? What did he use? That's the cool stuff, not the effects).

HDTV1080P is offline Member

Fans of this movie will want to purchase it instead of renting it. A family member that I know rented this movie on Blu-ray from Netflix. The rental version is on a single layer Blu-ray disc with 21.5GB used out of 25GB. Also the rental version contains only the trailers for bonus features, compared to the retail Blu-ray version with bonus items like audio commentary track, etc. The worse thing about the rental version is that Lionsgate removed the 11.1 Dolby ATMOS soundtrack and with no 7.1 Dolby TrueHD lossless core soundtrack. Instead consumers get a lossy 5.1 Dolby Digital soundtrack (640kbps).
    Last edited by HDTV1080P; 01-10-2017 at 07:12 PM.