Attebery is offline Member

Default 'Rawhide' - High-Def Digest Review

David Krauss has reviewed 'Rawhide'. He says fans of westerns and film noir should enjoy this. With solid video and audio, the Blu-ray is recommended.

Full review here:
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/32020/rawhide.html
    Please visit my website and join the mailing list
    to keep updated on books and future releases:
    www.mikeattebery.com

gravis778 is offline Member

Taut, exciting, and brimming with smoldering undercurrents, 'Rawhide' is a colorful, entertaining popcorn thriller that delivers on a variety of fronts.
    I think someone desaturated your screencaps. :-)

Video codec is 1080p/AVC MPEG-4 and audio is DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0.
    The DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 mono track is free of any age-related defects, such as hiss, pops, and crackles, and provides a robust soundscape for this tense drama.
    So is it 1.0 from the center channel, or 2.0 from the sides?

dbacksfan is offline HDD Contributor

It's 2.0 mono. Thanks for catching that.

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
    So is it 1.0 from the center channel, or 2.0 from the sides?
    2.0 mono only comes from the sides if you disable Dolby ProLogic/Dolby Surround Upmixer or whatever other processor you usually default to. Any basic matrixing algorithm will collapse a 2.0 mono signal to the center channel, indistinguishable from a 1.0 encoding.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Boston007 is online now Member

I love Niagara so I will definitely check this out to see another of Hathaway's work. Plus, I love Westerns!

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    2.0 mono only comes from the sides if you disable Dolby ProLogic/Dolby Surround Upmixer or whatever other processor you usually default to. Any basic matrixing algorithm will collapse a 2.0 mono signal to the center channel, indistinguishable from a 1.0 encoding.
    I may have matrixing turned off. I have my receiver set to default to whatever is sent to it, unless I am watching Music Choice or something, then I will use one of the music matrixing options to fill the room. Pretty sure most mono tracks I have had come from the sides, and not the center, but I am not at home to test it. But I am about 85% positive that the default format for my receiver is 2.0 mono to the sides, 1.0 mono to the center. My uncle has issues because he only has four speakers (Front L/R and Rear L/R) so 2 channel mono works fine, but for 1 channel or 5 or more channels, we have to use analogue RCA and ProLogic to redirect speech to the sides.

Anyways, I am not saying that matrixing doesn't do this, I am just saying that not everyone uses it. Perfect example of why not - try watching something recorded in stereo (no prologic information) where it is compressed down to 128k or 160k and has an audience. Listen to how the sounds of the audience get redirected to the sides and rear, and the sound quality that is coming out if it. Great reason to disable matrixing.

dbacksfan is offline HDD Contributor

Niagara is a fantastic movie!! Marilyn was never more alluring. The close-up when she sings 'Kiss' is literally one of the sexiest things ever put on celluloid. And I love the melodramatic story.