Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Is he not in Taxachussetts? You do know where Maine is in relation that right?
    I may be getting them from NH - even though it says Kentucky. How else would next day service be explained via UPS Ground?
    All I'm saying is, he could have gotten his from the MA sort center and you got yours from the NH warehouse, or vice versa. That might explain the delivery delay on your end but not his, if one of those facilities had more copies on hand than the other.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

Now if only Boston would say what the return address is for Amazon on the packages he gets. Is it Lexington KY or something else?
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Boston007 is offline Member

Funny you mention that. It's Lexington KY but sometimes I think I've seen NH in there.

I haven't checked recently but I know I've seen Lex KY more times than I can count and I purchase a lot from Amazon

Finally getting around to diving into Knight Rider.
    Well, this is the Mill Creek that I know.... low budget. For starters, not only is it lossy audio, but it is very-lossy audio. Think AC3 at 448kpbs. An average DVD pipes audio at 640 kbps. I never did note what the audio bitrate was on the dvd release of this series from years ago but that one was not a Mill Creek release. For point of reference though most people that have mp3 audio going on, those are very rarely at 320 kbps or higher. Most common is probably 192 or so. For picture quality, there certainly could have been a little more care (and probably bit rate) but this is still the best this series has ever looked so if you're a fan of the series, there are certainly enough positives to merit purchase still. And even with the lowlights here, it is better than streaming.

I find it ironic that they chose to use DTS-HD MA on Miami Vice, which has always had pretty bad audio to begin with.

For starters, not only is it lossy audio, but it is very-lossy audio. Think AC3 at 448kpbs. An average DVD pipes audio at 640 kbps.
    Dolby Digital on DVD tops out at 448 kb/s. In fact, many 5.1 discs are only 384 kb/s. Dolby Digital can go up to 640 kb/s on Blu-ray, but not on DVD.

It seems that what Mill Creek has done here is use the DVD encode for the audio without re-authoring it.

For point of reference though most people that have mp3 audio going on, those are very rarely at 320 kbps or higher. Most common is probably 192 or so.
    MP3 is a different compression codec than Dolby Digital, so you can't directly compare bit rate numbers. Most MP3s are also only 2 channels of audio.

I find it ironic that they chose to use DTS-HD MA on Miami Vice, which has always had pretty bad audio to begin with.
    Miami Vice has way more licensed music in it than Knight Rider. I'm sure that was the main reason for using lossless audio on those discs.
    Josh Z
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    Dolby Digital on DVD tops out at 448 kb/s. In fact, many 5.1 discs are only 384 kb/s. Dolby Digital can go up to 640 kb/s on Blu-ray, but not on DVD.
    So my tools available to me are lying? I know what I've seen.

Either case, Mill Creek, low budget.

So my tools available to me are lying? I know what I've seen.
    I don't know what tools you're using or what they're saying, but Dolby Digital only goes to 448 kb/s on DVD.

Straight from Dolby:
    https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...tech-paper.pdf

"In addition to Dolby Digital Plus audio, Blu-ray Disc can
    also output for the first time a Dolby Digital bitstream at its maximum
    of 640 kbps, which all existing Dolby Digital consumer decoders can handle.
    This means better performance on legacy playback systems compared to DVD,
    which is not able to carry Dolby Digital bitstreams of more than 448 kbps."
    Josh Z

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234