Page 2 of 10 << First 1 2 3 4 ... Last>>
    No 3D, no sale.

The Mickey Mouse short that played before Frozen had some terrific and creative use of 3D and it deserved to be featured on the 3D release of this movie. Now we get nothing, apparently.
    I have the Zavvi steelbook version pre-ordered which at least currently states it includes the 3D version. The UK Amazon site lists their version of 3D Frozen as region free so hopefully the Zavvi steelbook version is as well. Disney Home Entertainment sure seems intent on trying to piss off customers.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomandshell View Post
    No 3D, no sale.

The Mickey Mouse short that played before Frozen had some terrific and creative use of 3D and it deserved to be featured on the 3D release of this movie. Now we get nothing, apparently.
    I didn't like how the short went from 2D Black and White to Color CGI. That just pissed me off and highlights my issue with CGI films. No charm and completely sterile visually. To see Mickey in a new short and in CGI is just wrong.

The first film to have any character was TMNT, then that was followed by Horton Hears A Who?. However, those films aren't exactly standing ovations for the genre in terms of storytelling power. Pixar trumps them all in that department, even if their visual style is sterile. At least that style worked for Toy Story. Doesn't work too well in the other films...but their stories overshadow the weak designs and sterile 3D environment.
    "How long is this movie?"

"Who directed it?"

"David Lean"

"Three hours...at least."
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    A thickening plot emerges. So Amazon U.S. cancels my preorder for the 3D version and indicated it is no longer available from the supplier, then lo and behold, the 3D version appears to be available from every amazon in the world, of course except North America. Yeah, right.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Frozen-Blu-r...dp/B00FZM8Z7I/
    http://www.amazon.es/Frozen-Reino-de...dp/B00GZOCNI2/
    http://www.amazon.de/Eiskönigin-inkl...dp/B00GSQLHPW/
    http://www.amazon.fr/La-Reine-Des-Ne...dp/B00E3AI81G/
    http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/frozen-...html?vwo_ppr=a

Not sure which cover I like best. Check them out : )
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    They're probably going to piss off a lot of people - probably planning on releasing it like they did for Oz: the Great & Powerful
    It gets worse.

Appears that a physical 3D copy is not available in North America, except for everywhere else -- as you've noted above, thanks for the links!!! The Oz debacle was bad enough but at least we had a 3D combo (for those of us here in USA/Canada). Here, once again, we have Disney toying with another asinine idea of removing the physical 3D media and replacing it with...wait for it...a DIGITAL 3D option. As in streaming a movie that not you but the studio controls, at less than BD quality.

According to HDR:
    Though Frozen was released theatrically in 3D, the studio is opting not to support Blu-ray 3D in the home video release plans. The only way to watch Frozen 3D at home will be via Digital 3D, which will debut early on February 25 along with the Digital HD version.
    Clearly, Disney has not learned anything from the Oz fiasco and continues to screw the consumer with their crackbrained experiments. Of course, this may be all speculation as there's nary been an official confirmation or press from Disney regarding their 3DBD plans. But the evidence to the contrary is building and portends very bad news for the future of the format.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomandshell View Post
    No 3D, no sale.

Agree. I didn't buy Oz on the same principle that they split off the 3DBD from the rest of packaging, and still expect consumers to pay a premium. The "Get A Horse!" short was entertaining and well done in 3D.

Quote Originally Posted by caliminius View Post
    I have the Zavvi steelbook version pre-ordered which at least currently states it includes the 3D version. The UK Amazon site lists their version of 3D Frozen as region free so hopefully the Zavvi steelbook version is as well. Disney Home Entertainment sure seems intent on trying to piss off customers.
    Guess I will also have to import the UK 3D version if we don't hear from Disney soon. Considering that the movie was made with 3D in mind, from the beginning, it's incredulous that DHE would pull another stunt like this!
    Disney, more so than any other studio, wants to get out of the disc business.
    "When I'm drunk I like to Google 'Daniel Waters underrated' and see what comes up." - Daniel Waters
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    I didn't like how the short went from 2D Black and White to Color CGI. That just pissed me off and highlights my issue with CGI films. No charm and completely sterile visually. To see Mickey in a new short and in CGI is just wrong.
    I can't see how you could be any more wrong about this short. It was an amazing piece of art that beautifully merged traditional animation style and modern CGI animation. When it comes to charm, this ranks up there with the Paperman short which had enough charm for a feature length film. The breaking of the third wall was extremely well done and it was a lot of fun to watch the characters play with what they could do in that environment. From flipping the frames to rewind the film, to "popping" the screen to drain the water, to the cow that walks off screen only to return having experienced the modern world. It was an incredible amount of fun and for once 3D actually enhanced the experience. And the icing on the cake was the use of archival recordings of Walt Disney to give voice to Mickey Mouse again from his original creator.

If this was a "bad" animated short, I'd be afraid if Disney created a "good" one. Because you'd probably have to surgically remove the smile from my face afterward. I can only hope that all future Disney animation is this bad...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolvie View Post
    It gets worse.

Appears that a physical 3D copy is not available in North America, except for everywhere else -- as you've noted above, thanks for the links!!! The Oz debacle was bad enough but at least we had a 3D combo (for those of us here in USA/Canada). Here, once again, we have Disney toying with another asinine idea of removing the physical 3D media and replacing it with...wait for it...a DIGITAL 3D option. As in streaming a movie that not you but the studio controls, at less than BD quality.

According to HDR:

Clearly, Disney has not learned anything from the Oz fiasco and continues to screw the consumer with their crackbrained experiments. Of course, this may be all speculation as there's nary been an official confirmation or press from Disney regarding their 3DBD plans. But the evidence to the contrary is building and portends very bad news for the future of the format.
    This is just PISS POOR from Disney!! We, the consumers, buy the expensive 3D tickets at the theater. And now...a movie that almost every 3D fan wants on 3D Blu-ray are being screwed for Digital 3D!!! You got to be kidding me?? Thats just a decietful, dishonest, sales tatic that all it does is piss off their loyal consumers!! And were the ones that MADE Frozen the sucess that it is today and Disney treats us like this?? Utter unacceptable Disney!!
    My mancave:

Display - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
    Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590, Sony PS3 320GB
    Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd), MacBook Pro 17" i5 750GB

Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)

"When your winning, fight like your losing"
    SO I'm kind of confused. I just saw this again in theater, but the 3D version is no longer playing, so we had to go for the 2D version again. Since my friend bought a 3D TV, I figured I'd get the set that includes the 3D version, but Amazon is not showing me anything beyond one version. Am I missing something here?
    "...somewhere out there, michael bay now has the basis for his next film...and it's all your fault." - project-blu
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    SO I'm kind of confused. I just saw this again in theater, but the 3D version is no longer playing, so we had to go for the 2D version again. Since my friend bought a 3D TV, I figured I'd get the set that includes the 3D version, but Amazon is not showing me anything beyond one version. Am I missing something here?
    As of right now, it appears Disney is only releasing the film in Digital 3D (as in digital download). A Blu-ray 3D version might not get released in the US at all.

Again: Disney, more so than any other studio, wants to get out of the disc business.
    "When I'm drunk I like to Google 'Daniel Waters underrated' and see what comes up." - Daniel Waters
    Quote Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
    Wal-mart looks to have dropped the 3D exclusive.....at least it's not on their site anymore. Is it possible Best Buy will be offering a 3D exclusive? Where is the 3D press release for this flick?
    Well Best Buy does have a listing for the 3D version, but what exactly we will get is anyones guess right now. Plus the BBY listing is currently sitting at $59.99. I know it should go down around release time ,but still. I will be extremely pissed if there is no US 3D release though.

Also of note, Frozen is not the only change they are making as it pertains to releases. Apparently they are dropping the dvd that normally comes with these combo packs in the Thor 2 release. I don't know if this will be the norm, but that is the way the 3D and 2d versions are listed on the DMC site.

I know quite a few will applaud this move, but I do like having the dvd's with these releases. Especially if it is an animated one since I have a young child and no need for a BD player in her room yet. Plus they're nice to have for road trips which we do a few times each year. I don't always use them, but they are good to have just in case.
    180+
    200+
    want list
    Quote Originally Posted by caliminius View Post
    If this was a "bad" animated short, I'd be afraid if Disney created a "good" one. Because you'd probably have to surgically remove the smile from my face afterward. I can only hope that all future Disney animation is this bad...
    Fully agreed. The Mickey short was wonderful and I hope we see more of them in the future.
    -Paul Acevedo
    Editor, Windows Central, iMore, and Android Central
    Twitter: @PaulRAcevedo
    Twitch: EastXTwitch - Watch my streams Saturday nights at 8pm Central and win prizes!
    • Display: Samsung LN52A550 52-inch LCD
    • Surround: Sony something
    • Player: Sony BDP-S580
    Quote Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
    As of right now, it appears Disney is only releasing the film in Digital 3D (as in digital download). A Blu-ray 3D version might not get released in the US at all.

Again: Disney, more so than any other studio, wants to get out of the disc business.
    That is fucking retarded! They finally have a movie I want to buy the 3D version to and they aren't willing to sell it to me? Well then fuck it, they lose out on a sale as I'll just get the regular version. And if I want to see the 3D version later, I'll just find a site to download it for free from then as I am not paying for something they did not want to sell me when I was willing to buy it.
    "...somewhere out there, michael bay now has the basis for his next film...and it's all your fault." - project-blu
    Is Best Buy getting a 3D exclusive?

Unlike other retailers, which have pulled their 3D Blu-ray listings, Best Buy's is still up, and was recently edited to reflect a lower price (originally $54.99).
    Quote Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
    Is Best Buy getting a 3D exclusive?

Unlike other retailers, which have pulled their 3D Blu-ray listings, Best Buy's is still up, and was recently edited to reflect a lower price (originally $54.99).
    Yeah, I'm watching this too. Maybe BB does have the exclusive? Wouldn't they just take it down by now if a 3D blu was not going to be released?
    My mancave:

Display - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
    Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590, Sony PS3 320GB
    Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd), MacBook Pro 17" i5 750GB

Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)

"When your winning, fight like your losing"