Go Back   High-Def Digest Forums > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Software General Discussion
Reload this Page 'The Little Mermaid: Diamond Edition - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last>>

Default 'The Little Mermaid: Diamond Edition - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'The Little Mermaid: Diamond Edition - 3D.' Check it out.

Full review here:
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8477...ermaid_3d.html
    I wasn't really interested in this from the getgo, but if the conversion would have been good enough, it's something I would have considered. No thanks...
    The 3D King's Collection:
    HD-DVDs: 125
    Blu-rays: 142
    3DBDs: 185
    3DFSDVDS: 10
    DVDs: 255
    PSP Movies: 5
    VHS: 515
    VCDs: 28 official releases
    CD-I Movie: 1 LOL
    Laserdiscs: 176
    I have sort of a love/hate relationship with Little Mermaid.

1989 was a special year for me. I worked at a local 14 cinema movie theater (Showcase Cinemas).

That year many big movies came out like Batman, Ghost, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, Little Mermaid, etc.

Kids movies were always the biggest pain to clean because those theaters were a literal MESS at the end. The R rated movies were the best, adults made almost zero mess and always threw out their stuff.

Kids' movies were so bad. At the tail end of Little Mermaid's appearance in the theater, they moved it to the smallest theater, one Sunday afternoon the theater was sold out. This place so packed, people in the back standing. It was the messiest theater I ever entered. It was a nightmare to clean LOL.

What great memories working in that theater, even the MESSY ones
    This is what I think about when I think about 1989

Anyway.... Disney was probably seeing slumping sales of their 3D, but they really weren't producing quality 3D material. Pirates of the Caribbean, shot natively in 3D with all night scenes but all of the post-production effects done in 2D... John Carter, a terrible conversion. Nightmare before Christmas was a popular film, which is probably why it made lots of money as a conversion, but the spark has gone for crappy conversions. As for the little mermaid, it didn't get a theatrical release for SOME reason... Disney is banking on Star Wars and didn't want to put out a lot more money into little mermaid is the only reason I could guess. Then again, Disney may not have been able to pull off a good conversion of this classic.
    The 3D King's Collection:
    HD-DVDs: 125
    Blu-rays: 142
    3DBDs: 185
    3DFSDVDS: 10
    DVDs: 255
    PSP Movies: 5
    VHS: 515
    VCDs: 28 official releases
    CD-I Movie: 1 LOL
    Laserdiscs: 176
    Quote Originally Posted by malakai View Post
    As for the little mermaid, it didn't get a theatrical release for SOME reason... Disney is banking on Star Wars and didn't want to put out a lot more money into little mermaid is the only reason I could guess.
    Disney canceled plans for a theatrical re-release of Little Mermaid 3D after Finding Nemo 3D and Monsters Inc. 3D underperformed the studio's expectations at the box office. After The Lion King, Disney's 3D re-releases had been steadily trending downward.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
    The European version. or at least the italian version had a mistake that I have been wondering if its only for Italy or this happened on all versions. Since I find really hard to believe Italy had his own master of the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5vHZH-YJQA

The changed a scene, can you tell me if this happens in the USA version too?

Thanks

Edit: Already saw the other post tought it was going to be the same post for both reviews.
    Last edited by AlbertX; 09-24-2013 at 09:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlbertX View Post
    The European version. or at least the italian version had a mistake that I have been wondering if its only for Italy or this happened on all versions. Since I find really hard to believe Italy had his own master of the movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5vHZH-YJQA

The changed a scene, can you tell me if this happens in the USA version too?

Thanks

Edit: Already saw the other post tought it was going to be the same post for both reviews.
    Interesting - although it looks like they just flipped two cuts of about 5 seconds of material. Not a huge issue, and I doubt most will notice, but that is strange. My guess is that they went back to the original film elements, and had to re-edit the movie, and someone just flipped the two cuts. I doubt if its a big enough issue for Disney to do a disc replacement.
    The whole point of the error/issue is that it is a Diamond Edition and we expect better. Then again, they fouled up the song in Pinocchio as well and that is a Platinum Edition. Look at Paramount's attempt at Sapphire Editions - People nicknamed them Crapphire edition due to the long list of issues with any title under that umbrella.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    The whole point of the error/issue is that it is a Diamond Edition and we expect better. Then again, they fouled up the song in Pinocchio as well and that is a Platinum Edition. Look at Paramount's attempt at Sapphire Editions - People nicknamed them Crapphire edition due to the long list of issues with any title under that umbrella.
    I agree, more care should have been taken. But they will still sell like a bajillion copies of this, and maybe 20 people will even notice this - much less complain. I don't think Disney will even bother with a disc reissue.

I just wish Disney would just take a little more care of their properties. Their releases over the past year have really been subpar, with many releases not having ANY extras - even the ones previously available on DVD. The PQ and AQ on many of their releases have been subpar (Flight of the Navigator has a very dirty, scratchy opening, the UK disc only has an LPCM 2.0 soundtrack, the German version is 5.1 DTS-HD craptastic-upmixed, and neither have the Disney name on them anywhere), we are all familer with the travesty that was Sword In The Stone, Lilo and Stitch doesn't have a single bonus feature, Pocahontas 1/2 has major banding issues, Aladdin still has not had a US release, Oz The Great and Powerful didn't bundle in 2D discs...

It's like the Disney name no longer means anything. The Disney name used to mean the best possible quality available on Blu-Ray, with jaw-dropping results. In the past year, it's like Disney just doesn't care - at least, not about catalouge titles. But I am like a bug to a light - Disney dangles it in front of me, and I buy it, no matter how much I may complain.
    That's the problem we buy, so it doesn't matter.

There should be a campaign (that doesn't hurt the retailers). If consumers
    on the first week of release all buy 2 copies of the film. And the following
    week, 1 unopened, sealed copy is returned to the retailer, that might make
    Disney take notice?

Ideally, it should be buy 1 copy and return that one, but Disney fanatics are
    Disney fanatics.
    Maybe they just thought the new order of shots was better. Maybe this was the order in the original storyboards. I think this sequence works better from an editing standpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Attebery View Post
    Maybe they just thought the new order of shots was better. Maybe this was the order in the original storyboards. I think this sequence works better from an editing standpoint.
    I agree. From an editing standpoint, it does work better.
    There is a disc replacement program in place, the 3D disc is not being replaced though.
    Quote Originally Posted by tyron3biggum5 View Post
    There is a disc replacement program in place, the 3D disc is not being replaced though.
    Details ??
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    Details ??
    800-723-4763 (U.S.)
    888-877-2843 (Canada)

http://www.disneystudioshelp.com/ContactUs

They need the spine number, the disc numbers, and a bit more info, and they mail you a shipping label.
    I'm watching on a 50" Panasonic Viera TC-50UT50 with a Playstation 3, and listening with an RCA RT2360 5.1 sound system.