Attebery is offline Member

Default 'Day of the Dead: Collector's Edition' - High-Def Digest Review

Our 'Day of the Dead: Collector's Edition' review has just been posted. This is a huge improvement over the previous edition and highly recommended. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/8105...ead_86_sf.html
    Check out my author website and
    get a free copy of BRICK RANSOM!
    www.mikeattebery.com

Bouncy X is offline Member

i was already getting this but damn, the making of is 86mins? i thought it was gonna be the usual 20-35min the previous Shout stuff has had. very cool news. and i am very happy to see the Savini stuff as well. i remember seeing some of that raw footage and it proves his talents because even on cheap video tape, the gore still looked great and realistic and gross!!!

Tyrannorabbit is offline Member

(edit after a brief bit of research) Eh, fuck it, you're right, I'm wrong.

Though I do recall reading a piece written a good 20, 25 years ago saying one of the reasons that Day didn't do well at the box office was that audiences were zombied out after ROTLD, which was a hit. And it looks like at least Roger Ebert's reviews from the time were spaced so that he reviewed Day two weeks after Return.

The release schedules of 28-year-old films hardly seems relevant now though, heh.

Boston007 is online now Member

I have never seen this film and been meaning to

ruadan63 is offline Member

Default Corrected audio?

I wonder if this audio track corrects the previous Anchor Bay release, which dubbed out some of the profanity (when John says "right" instead of "shit," for example). Not sure how/why that happened (probably carelessness), but I did wonder if it had been corrected. (I realize how nitpicky this is, and well accept any appropriate taunting for it.)

Vidfreek is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by ruadan63 View Post
    I wonder if this audio track corrects the previous Anchor Bay release, which dubbed out some of the profanity (when John says "right" instead of "shit," for example). Not sure how/why that happened (probably carelessness), but I did wonder if it had been corrected. (I realize how nitpicky this is, and well accept any appropriate taunting for it.)
    Nah thats not nitpicky, I remember this now, did the Divimax DVD version have the same issues? I cant remember for sure, been a while since I've watched it, I never bothered getting the Anchor Bay bluray release because it was pretty much barebones and I now remember this problem too, would also like to know if the track has been fixed, knowing Scream Factory it probably has

Day is my favorite of Romero's zombie movies, I've always loved the close human element this one brought over anything else he's done, not to mention some of the best gore ever done, especially for the time period, hell even today most FX gore doesnt come close to the quality put into this, Savini is a Legend

Mr. Mojo is offline Member

Default Weakest of the series

This was not nearly as good as Night or Dawn. It went more for the gore.

This has always been my absolute favorite zombie movie. It was the first I saw, and I had suuuuch nightmares. I'll have to upgrade. Scream Factory is my wallet's worst nightmare.

JE Smith is offline Member

LOL, "Bub" was played by Sherman Howard, credited in DAY (as he often was in his early years) as "Howard Sherman," not "Gary" Sherman.

Plissken99 is offline Member

Finally got to watch this one. The transfer was very nice indeed, the audio however was terrible. The dialog was constantly hissing and at times the dialog would drift to the left speaker and stay there. And the level was uneven, it started nice and loud, then it got too quiet when they go underground. Someone needs to make a fan release using audio from the old release. Though I don't recall how much better it was, if at all.

Check that, I just remembered I still have the old release lol. On a quick comparison at least the 5.1 track centers dialog and its not hissy.
    Last edited by Plissken99; 11-08-2013 at 12:15 AM.
    HT gear: JVC X570r 4K e-Shift projector, 150" screen, Yamaha CX-A5100 preamp, Klipsch ProCinema 7.2.4 Atmos,Oppo UDP-203(region free), Xbox One, Playstation 4, RetroN 5, , Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2