Attebery is offline Member

Default 'Seconds' - HIgh-Def Digest Review

Kevin has reviewed the Criterion release of John Frankenheimer's 'Seconds.' This is a highly recommended addition to any film fan's collection. Here's why...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9254/seconds_1966.html
    Check out my author website and
    get a free copy of BRICK RANSOM!
    www.mikeattebery.com

Pioneer14 is offline Member

Great review Thanks! Looking forward for this in the mail.
    "A diamond is just a chunk of coal that made good under pressure."

NJScorpio is offline Member

This is on my list for the next B&N sale, along with the 'Eyes Without a Face' and 'Uninvited'.

NJScorpio is offline Member

Sometimes, with Criterion blind buys, I like a film significantly less than I expected I would ('Mystery Train'). Other times, I enjoy it just as throughly as I expected to ('The Magician'). Then there are times where I'm just blown away by something I totally did not expect. And I usually love it!

That was the case with 'Seconds'.

What struck me most is how much 'Seconds' influenced David Fincher's 'The Game'.

First, you have the company. A mysterious company that hides their real location, and that is manipulating the main character's world around them. Both to their knowledge, and behind the scenes.

Second you have the product offered by the company. One that is meant to help a man in a mid-life crisis. Oh, and the names of the companies are very similar. In 'The Game', the company is Consumer Recreation Services (CRS). In 'Seconds', the name of the company isn't given, but one department is mentioned...CPS (Corpse Procurement Services).

There are many other similarities, such as the purpose of the blonde romantic interests, and the brother/friend role connecting the main character to the company.

It seems like a case could be made for a very interesting write up on the subject of the two films.

Boston007 is online now Member

Sorry to raise an old thread but I watched this last night. Movie was awesome.

There were some claustrophobic scenes but one scene I felt so claustrophobic I was on edge in my seat. Anyone who has seen it knows the scene.

I didn't realize Frankenheimer did Manchurian Candidate. I'm going to watch the third in his paranoia trilogy soon.

I love these kinds of movies.

Bolo is online now Member

This is an excellent film about the true lack of potential that lies within most men. Really good, harsh, message. It's been a while since I watched it. I might buy it eventually.

Boston007 is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bolo View Post
    This is an excellent film about the true lack of potential that lies within most men. Really good, harsh, message. It's been a while since I watched it. I might buy it eventually.
    I was weary of watching it as people said it's depressing. I don't like depressing movies, and I really need to be in the mood to see one.

I didn't feel is was depressive to me at all, but more along how you describe it. I actually want to watch it again.