Default 'Jack the Giant Slayer' - High-Def Digest Review

E has reviewed 'Jack the Giant Slayer.' Check it out!

Full review here:
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9112/jack_slayer.html
    NOOO!

Not separate threads to separate reviews to the same reviewer again. I thought
    with Oz, HDD was going a different direction, a unified thread format.

Let's make this like Hansel & Gretel, one thread loves the film and one thread
    hates the film. WTF?

-----

Prof E, for Video, gives the 2D 5 stars, and the 3D 4 stars, so I read the ACTUAL
    review for details and to achieve understanding. But the words written don't
    coincide with the different ratings. Why not a simple: "I knocked 1 star because
    of this reason..." Prof E?

The content of the 3D video review are just as glowing as the 2D review.

-----

"Along with the 3D presentation, one high-def exclusive joins the mix, but only
    on the 2D Blu-ray disc."

So why does the 3D review get a whole star in HD Extras?
    And the 2D review only gets a half star in the HD Extras?

I know why, HDD. You're testing me, right? You like to know that I'm reading
    carefully? You like to know that you are being read. What's my prize, HDD?

Oh my life is flashing before my eyes... I'm have a complusive relationship
    with movie reviews on a HD website... what have I become???
    Quote Originally Posted by timcharger View Post
    Prof E, for Video, gives the 2D 5 stars, and the 3D 4 stars, so I read the ACTUAL
    review for details and to achieve understanding. But the words written don't
    coincide with the different ratings. Why not a simple: "I knocked 1 star because
    of this reason..." Prof E?
    You're right. I'll write a quick note in the review to better reflect my reasoning. For now, the difference is the quality of the 3D is slightly less than pleasing with consideration to its effectiveness and creative use whereas the quality of the 2D is highly-impressive. Hope that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by timcharger View Post
    "Along with the 3D presentation, one high-def exclusive joins the mix, but only
    on the 2D Blu-ray disc."

So why does the 3D review get a whole star in HD Extras?
    And the 2D review only gets a half star in the HD Extras?
    The half star difference is that one package comes with a 3D disc while the other does not. It's extra bonus to the overall high-def package.
    M. Enois Duarte
    High-Def Digest Contributor
    Hi-Def Collection
    Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
    we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
    I saw this and thought that it was enjoyable piece of popcorn fluff, with very well done CGI . Interesting that Nicholas Hoult, the "boy" from About a Boy and ensemble cast member of the first two seasons of the excellent British TV series Skins, got two films this year, this and Warm Bodies.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
    Interesting that Nicholas Hoult, the "boy" from About a Boy and ensemble cast member of the first two seasons of the excellent British TV series Skins, got two films this year, this and Warm Bodies.
    Hoult got the lead in this after having worked with Bryan Singer in X-Men: First Class (Singer was the producer and cast most of that movie before passing on the directing duties). As far as the timing goes, Giant Slayer was completed and was supposed to be released last summer, but was pushed back a year after the studio saw some of the footage and panicked.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    Hoult got the lead in this after having worked with Bryan Singer in X-Men: First Class (Singer was the producer and cast most of that movie before passing on the directing duties).
    You know, I don't recall him in X-Men: First Class in which he apparently played Hank McCoy/Beast. He must have spent most of his on-screen time in Beast make-up, in which he was much less recognizable than Kelsey Grammar. I'll have to scan through the film looking for Beast transformations.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeyts View Post
    You know, I don't recall him in X-Men: First Class in which he apparently played Hank McCoy/Beast. He must have spent most of his on-screen time in Beast make-up, in which he was much less recognizable than Kelsey Grammar. I'll have to scan through the film looking for Beast transformations.
    Actually, his character wasn't in full Beast mode until the end of the movie.
    Supporter. Current Toys: LG 50PK550, Onkyo SR605, 32GB iPad, Lenovo Y500, 11" MacBook Air, Boxee, Netgear Stora, Toshiba HDA30.
    Console List:
    PS4,PS3, 360, Gamecube, N64, SNES, Genesis, Dreamcast, Saturn, Vita, 3DS, and Xbox ONE on the way.
    Lifetime member of the Military Order of the Purple Heart
    I googled "Nicholas Hoult X-Men" and looked at images. Now I remember him. It wasn't a very memorial movie overall .
    I watched this over the weekend and found it an enjoyable popcorn flick. PQ & AQ is top notch. I love Bill Nighy's voice as a villian but every time I hear it all I "see" is Davy Jones.
    I was very pleasantly surprised at this movie. I really don't like a lot of CGI, but the atmosphere of the film and the performances allowed me to not be distracted by the cartoon giants and just enjoy a fun fantasy film in the same vein as a lot of the Harryhausen films. The fun tone set by the performances, particularly Ewan McGregor's was just what I was hoping for.
    RIP Kosty you are missed.