Go Back   High-Def Digest Forums > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Software General Discussion
Reload this Page 'The Wizard of Oz: 75th Anniversary Edition' Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D coming October 1
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last>>

Default 'The Wizard of Oz: 75th Anniversary Edition' Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D coming October 1

The Wizard of Oz: 75th Anniversary Edition
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9197...d_oz_75th.html

The Wizard of Oz - 3D: 75th Anniversary Edition
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/7850...z_3d_75th.html

The Wizard of Oz - 3D: 75th Anniversary Collector's Edition (Amazon Exclusive)
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/9198...5th_ce_ae.html
    Last edited by Landy; 06-05-2013 at 10:31 AM.
    Uh...

okay...

Outside of for some reason being converted to 3D, what is the difference from the previous release?
    "...somewhere out there, michael bay now has the basis for his next film...and it's all your fault." - project-blu
    looks like just the MGM retrospective on a Blu Ray disc or 2 DVDs. I already own the Special Edition 70th Anniversary set and the Amazon extras don't catch me enough to double dip
    Looks nice but I'm going to wait for the 80th Anniversary Edition 4K set.
    along with 'The Wizard of Oz - 3D: 75th Anniversary Edition' and 'The Wizard of Oz - 3D: 75th Anniversary Collector's Edition (Amazon Exclusive).'
    In the article, these both link to the same title. At the bottom of the page, where it says Discs Mentioned In This Article, they seem to link to the right discs.

Debating on if I am going to bite on this. When it was released last time, I just picked up the stand-alone disc, but I have been wanting to get the collector's set for a while. Might be a good excuse to finally do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by DestroVega View Post
    Looks nice but I'm going to wait for the 80th Anniversary Edition 4K set.
    Nah. I'll wait for the 90th anniversary 8K, six-dimensional version.
    So what quarter is the possibly going to be released in?
    It would have been neat to have Dark Side of the Moon as an alternate soundtrack. There's already a 5.1 mix of the album.
    Looking forward to the 3D on this one. Hope Warner does a good job.
    My mancave:

Display - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
    Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590, Sony PS3 320GB
    Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd), MacBook Pro 17" i5 750GB

Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)

"When your winning, fight like your losing"
    Quote Originally Posted by iLuv3M3 View Post
    So what quarter is the possibly going to be released in?
    Sometime in the early fall is what I have heard.
    My mancave:

Display - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
    Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590, Sony PS3 320GB
    Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd), MacBook Pro 17" i5 750GB

Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)

"When your winning, fight like your losing"
    List price of $19.99 looks to be reasonable for the standard 75th Anniv. Edition, it should sell well. OTOH, the 3D Collector's Edition is way overpriced even with the book and trinkets. I already have the 70th Anniv. UCE, love it, and won't be double dipping unless there's a huge price drop.
    The Amazon Exclusive version comes with the “4GB Wicked Witch of the East Flash Drive”. A 4GB flash drive raises the price of the boxset around $6.00. A stamped 4.7GB single layer DVD video disc or DVD-ROM disc would only cost around 10 cents. I do not understand why there is a 4GB flash drive included when instead a 4.7GB DVD-ROM Wicked Witch of the East would have been cheaper and stamped optical discs can last up to 1,000 years compared to flash drives that can wear out in 10 years. If the flash drive has something on it, I would hope that it is locked in the write protect mode so a consumer does not erase it by mistake. Is the 4GB Wicked Witch of the East Flash Drive blank or does it contain something on it?
    Quote Originally Posted by HDTV1080P View Post
    The Amazon Exclusive version comes with the “4GB Wicked Witch of the East Flash Drive”. A 4GB flash drive raises the price of the boxset around $6.00. A stamped 4.7GB single layer DVD video disc or DVD-ROM disc would only cost around 10 cents. I do not understand why there is a 4GB flash drive included when instead a 4.7GB DVD-ROM Wicked Witch of the East would have been cheaper and stamped optical discs can last up to 1,000 years compared to flash drives that can wear out in 10 years. If the flash drive has something on it, I would hope that it is locked in the write protect mode so a consumer does not erase it by mistake. Is the 4GB Wicked Witch of the East Flash Drive blank or does it contain something on it?
    It would be nice if they included something on the USB stick. Most of the time they are not write protected in these situations.
    The life expectance of optical discs are much longer compared to flash drives according to the specs I have read. Stamped optical discs also cannot be erased and are immune to EMP’s.

What ever the video or computer data files are on the flash drive, this is something that could have been placed on a DVD-ROM or BD-ROM optical disc. I am hoping that in the future studios do not start releasing bonus features on flash drives since it will raise the retail cost. Now if the flash drive was blank and nothing on it, then the flash drive would just be another collectable item.
    The release date for the 75th Anniversary of the Wizard of Oz would need to be in the year 2014 to be officially a 75th Anniversary edition. So most likely we will see this 75th Anniversary boxset released in 2014 unless Warner wants to call it a 74th Anniversary Edition.

Maybe in 2019 the 80th Anniversary Edition of the Wizard of Oz might be released on a new 4K optical disc format. In 2039 a 100th Anniversary Edition of the Wizard of OZ could be released at 8K or 16K quality if Warner does a new scan of the original Technicolor strips at 16K or 32K quality.

We will need to wait for an official press release from Warner or a detailed review after the product is released to see what the difference is between the 75th Anniversary collector’s edition and the 70th Anniversary collector’s edition. The only difference might be that the original 8K scan of the Technicolor strips was used this time to also make a 1080P 3-D version of the Wizard of Oz. Its possible the other optical discs in the 75th Anniversary package might be exactly the same image from the 70th Anniversary package that was also sourced from the 8K scan. At this point this is only speculation.

The pre-order price at Amazon just jumped in price from around $73.80 to $94.89 on the 75th Anniversary boxset within the last 30 minutes. I hope the 2-D to 3-D conversion quality will justify those that are considering a upgrade.