Reply 
Page 3 of 13 << First 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last>>
Results 31 to 45 of 193
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    10,258
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsef3 View Post
    Everyone is entitled to their opinions of movies. I love Prometheus. Josh hates it. Neither of us is wrong for our opinion.
    No, you are wrong in that case.

    If I did not go into skyfall with the belief that it feel like a continuation of the rebooted franchise, I wouldn't be so disappointed. If there were no casino royale or quantum of solace and skyfall was just another bond movie in a series, I'd probably view it very favorably. My distaste for the movie lies in my feeling that it is just another bond movie, and one that doesn't abide by the rules of the what I believed to be a completely rebooted universe.
    You're too hung up on this notion of a "reboot." Aside from the fact that they take place in the present day, the Craig movies are more prequel than reboot. These movies are the backstory for the franchise characters. This is how Bond became a double-0 agent. This is where M, Q, etc. come from. The end of Skyfall brings us full circle to the beginning of the James Bond we know.

    Instead, the Daniel Craig bond movies are just more movies in a series with different actors playing the same superhuman superspy character.
    What you've just said is that you don't like James Bond movies because they're too much James Bond. Perhaps you shouldn't be watching James Bond movies if you don't like James Bond.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
  2. #32
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    What you've just said is that you don't like James Bond movies because they're too much James Bond. Perhaps you shouldn't be watching James Bond movies if you don't like James Bond.
    That's the thing - I like casino and quantum BECAUSE they didn't feel like regular bond movies. They were fresh, gritty, and exciting. I felt the rejuvenated and redefined what a bond movie was. I loved them. Skyfall reverted back to the generic, silly bond formula. Which I understand a lot of you like. I just don't. I don't like the old bond movies any more than I like the 4 Batman movies that came before Nolan's movies. If I want to watch a batman, I'm watching one of Nolan's. if I want to watch bond, I'm watching one of the first two Craig movies. I was hoping the third craig installment would continue the rebooted franchise. Instead, mendes just did the lazy uninspired decision to copy the old stale tired-out bond movie format. Bond was rebooted BECAUSE the old format was so worn out. Mendes just set the franchise back 20 years.
  3. #33
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsef3 View Post
    That's the thing - I like casino and quantum BECAUSE they didn't feel like regular bond movies. They were fresh, gritty, and exciting. I felt the rejuvenated and redefined what a bond movie was. I loved them. Skyfall reverted back to the generic, silly bond formula. Which I understand a lot of you like. I just don't. I don't like the old bond movies any more than I like the 4 Batman movies that came before Nolan's movies. If I want to watch a batman, I'm watching one of Nolan's. if I want to watch bond, I'm watching one of the first two Craig movies. I was hoping the third craig installment would continue the rebooted franchise. Instead, mendes just did the lazy uninspired decision to copy the old stale tired-out bond movie format. Bond was rebooted BECAUSE the old format was so worn out. Mendes just set the franchise back 20 years.
    Please. Go watch Moonraker or Octopussy and then watch Skyfall back to back. Skyfall is far from being silly and you are overlooking a lot if you think Bond was not somewhat superhuman in Casino Royale. The big chase scene? You really did not find that to be somewhat superhuman? The shootout at the embassy where 50 or so armed soliders with fully automatic weapons and none of them can hit Bond? Some of them are almost at point blank range.. Bond rolling the car going excessively fast speeds and is not seriously injured? Bond dying one minute from poison and then seemingly fine slightly later? I think CR was a little more gritty as Bond was becoming a 00, but to say that the movie didn't portray him as being superhuman is not really true. Skyfall had similar moments, but as Josh pointed out it is supposed to, it is a Bond movie. I still found Bond gritty and not nearly as campy or silly as you seem to think. Again, go watch a few campy Bond movies then watch Skyfall. They are not really close...
  4. #34
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    10,258
    Quote Originally Posted by bigsef3 View Post
    That's the thing - I like casino and quantum BECAUSE they didn't feel like regular bond movies. They were fresh, gritty, and exciting. I felt the rejuvenated and redefined what a bond movie was. I loved them. Skyfall reverted back to the generic, silly bond formula. Which I understand a lot of you like. I just don't. I don't like the old bond movies any more than I like the 4 Batman movies that came before Nolan's movies. If I want to watch a batman, I'm watching one of Nolan's. if I want to watch bond, I'm watching one of the first two Craig movies. I was hoping the third craig installment would continue the rebooted franchise. Instead, mendes just did the lazy uninspired decision to copy the old stale tired-out bond movie format. Bond was rebooted BECAUSE the old format was so worn out. Mendes just set the franchise back 20 years.
    Again, I just don't know what the hell movie you watched. Yes, Skyfall makes a few fan service nods to the old series, but it is no sillier or more over-the-top than anything in Casino Royale (which ends with a ridiculous set-piece involving an imploding building) or Quantum of Solace (which ends in an exploding hotel in the middle of the desert). Skyfall has way more character development and personal stakes for Bond and M than any Bond movie that has ever come before, including Casino and Quantum. The whole point of the last act, which apparently eluded you completely, was to strip away all the baggage of the franchise, leave Bond to face his foe with nothing but his own wits, and force him to confront his own mortality and the fact that he's not a superman who can always save everybody and win.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
  5. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    10,258
    I can hardly wait a couple of weeks for all the whining to begin about how The Hobbit is too Lord of the Rings-y.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
  6. #36
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    Bond "Fan" #1: I hate the silly old James Bond movies. Bond should be gritty and serious like Jason Bourne.
    Bond "Fan" #2: I hate these overly-serious Daniel Craig movies. James Bond should be fun.
    Bond "Fan" #3: A Bond movie needs to have a huge, explosive action-packed finale.
    Bond "Fan" #4: Bond movies with ridiculous over-the-top action scenes are stupid.
    Bond "Fan" #5: Where are the gadgets? It's not a Bond movie without gadgets!
    Bond "Fan" #6: Gadgets suck. Any movie with even one gadget is automatically the worst movie in the entire world.

    All Bond "Fans": Why can't they make the perfect James Bond movie as I and only I dictate that it must be? Anything less is totally unacceptable!!!
    I agree with you.
    "...somewhere out there, michael bay now has the basis for his next film...and it's all your fault." - project-blu
  7. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    20,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    You're too hung up on this notion of a "reboot." Aside from the fact that they take place in the present day, the Craig movies are more prequel than reboot. These movies are the backstory for the franchise characters. This is how Bond became a double-0 agent. This is where M, Q, etc. come from. The end of Skyfall brings us full circle to the beginning of the James Bond we know.
    Which was one of the few plot-holes in Skyfall, I thought. I liked Skyfall a lot, but the whole hangup about calling Bond old, all movie long, seemed totally misplaced. Yeah, they called him old-school - and I understood that part, but they were also straight-out calling him old, but this was supposed to be the story of Bond's double-0 background and M, Q, and Moneypenny etc.

    It was just bizarre. Daniel Craig doesn't even look that old - especially compared to some of the prior Bonds. I thought their overt focus on his age was a detracting distraction.
    Last edited by Badger3920; 11-25-2012 at 04:01 PM.
    Currently Playing: Bioshock Infinite
    Next:
    Just finished: Infamous SS
    Home Theater: Panasonic PT-ae4000u, 110" Carada Brilliant White Screen, PS3
    Gaming PC: Intel i5 2500k, EVGA GTX 770 4GB, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 256gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 64gb Patriot SSD
  8. #38
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    10,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Badger3920 View Post
    Which was one of the few plot-holes in Skyfall, I thought. I liked Skyfall a lot, but the whole hangup about calling Bond old, all movie long, seemed totally misplaced. Yeah, they called him old-school - and I understood that part, but they were also straight-out calling him old, but this was supposed to be the story of Bond's double-0 background and M, Q, and Moneypenny etc.

    It was just bizarre. Daniel Craig doesn't even look that old - especially compared to some of the prior Bonds. I thought their overt focus on his age was a detracting distraction.
    That's not really a plot hole. It's explained in the dialogue that Skyfall takes place several years after Quantum of Solace, and Bond has had a lot of missions in the meantime.

    The shelf-life of a double-0 agent is short. Most don't last long before either burning out or getting killed. Even though Craig may not seem that old (though frankly, he looks considerably more weathered than he did in the last two movies), he's past his prime by double-0 standards.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    20,594
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    That's not really a plot hole. It's explained in the dialogue that Skyfall takes place several years after Quantum of Solace, and Bond has had a lot of missions in the meantime.

    The shelf-life of a double-0 agent is short. Most don't last long before either burning out or getting killed. Even though Craig may not seem that old (though frankly, he looks considerably more weathered than he did in the last two movies), he's past his prime by double-0 standards.
    All good points, it just struck me as awkward how often they harped on him for being a dinosaur - and not by method only. It seemed really out of place to me, even considering your well-made point the 00 agents probably have a shorter utility period

    It was awkward to me that a dinosaur bond is the vehicle that brings us full circle to MI6 as we know it
    Currently Playing: Bioshock Infinite
    Next:
    Just finished: Infamous SS
    Home Theater: Panasonic PT-ae4000u, 110" Carada Brilliant White Screen, PS3
    Gaming PC: Intel i5 2500k, EVGA GTX 770 4GB, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 256gb Samsung 840 Pro SSD, 64gb Patriot SSD
  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by ack_bak View Post
    Please. Go watch Moonraker or Octopussy and then watch Skyfall back to back. Skyfall is far from being silly and you are overlooking a lot if you think Bond was not somewhat superhuman in Casino Royale. The big chase scene? You really did not find that to be somewhat superhuman? The shootout at the embassy where 50 or so armed soliders with fully automatic weapons and none of them can hit Bond? Some of them are almost at point blank range.. Bond rolling the car going excessively fast speeds and is not seriously injured? Bond dying one minute from poison and then seemingly fine slightly later? I think CR was a little more gritty as Bond was becoming a 00, but to say that the movie didn't portray him as being superhuman is not really true. Skyfall had similar moments, but as Josh pointed out it is supposed to, it is a Bond movie. I still found Bond gritty and not nearly as campy or silly as you seem to think. Again, go watch a few campy Bond movies then watch Skyfall. They are not really close...
    Bond is FAR MORE superhuman in Skyfall than in Casino or Quantum. Its not even close. Yes, Bond survives alot, but he always gets hurt and acts like he's hurt. Not in Quantum. He gets shot in the shoulder/chest and and acts completely impervious to a bullet wound. He falls like 200 feet in to water and suffers no serious injuries... when he should be dead. Contrast that with Casino - when his car flips and rolls, hes half-unconscious and in so much pain he doesnt even notice when they cut the radio transmitter out of his arm.... speaking of which. Has technology taken a step back since Casino Royale? In that movie, he has a subdermal radio transmitter, but in Skyfall, he has a goofy looking big chip he has to carry around.. what gives?
  11. #41
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    Again, I just don't know what the hell movie you watched. Yes, Skyfall makes a few fan service nods to the old series, but it is no sillier or more over-the-top than anything in Casino Royale (which ends with a ridiculous set-piece involving an imploding building) or Quantum of Solace (which ends in an exploding hotel in the middle of the desert). Skyfall has way more character development and personal stakes for Bond and M than any Bond movie that has ever come before, including Casino and Quantum. The whole point of the last act, which apparently eluded you completely, was to strip away all the baggage of the franchise, leave Bond to face his foe with nothing but his own wits, and force him to confront his own mortality and the fact that he's not a superman who can always save everybody and win.
    What was unbeleivable about the finale in casino? the bulding was floating on water, behing held up by bags of air. once the bags were shot and air leaked, the building sank (it did not implode). what did you expect it to do? while the actual hotel DESIGN of the hotel in quantum is pretty stupid, for the reason it could so easily catch on fire and explode (not to mention the remote location - who would ever stay at that hotel), the explosion itself wasnt silly. As far as skyfall goes, nothing about the ending elluded me, and i take offense to your implication that it did. The ending was a completely different tone than the rest of the movie. Casino royale and quantum were fairly serious/"realistic" movies. The first 3/4 of Skyfall was silly and bond was superhuman, then the ending went back to being serious/"realistic." it was jarring, not because of the ending itself, but because of everything that came before it in the movie.

    Additionally, the whole movie was filled withset up about MI6 taking heat the release of agent names and their subsequent executions. it was all over TV... i felt that the movie was building up to something with all that... the movie raised very big stakes and then forgot about them completely to have a "home alone 4" ending.

    As far as your point about bond not always being able to save everybody and win, thats obvious, but the ending didnt really drive home the point as it should. M was dead. Bond failed. But it didnt seem like that big of a deal. The movie didnt dwell on the ramifications of Bonds failure, but seemed to rush into providing all these wink-nods to indicate that this Bond series has finally "grown" into the "original" Bond (male M, "original" M's office, moneypenny, etc.)
  12. #42
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,677
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    I can hardly wait a couple of weeks for all the whining to begin about how The Hobbit is too Lord of the Rings-y.
    Yeah no shit lol.

    Personally I loved Skyfall, it balanced the serious and silly quite brilliantly I thought. And really the silly was what was sort of missing from the last two, yes they were amazing(I liked Quantum, just not as much as Casino), but they forgot to have fun for the most part.

    Spoiler:
    I loved the bit with Bardem toying with Bond, mostly because I hated it at 1st, until later that we see he was killing time until the cavalry showed up, because he wanted to be captured. It played of the fact that we've seen many Bond villians toy with Bond, but that was because they were idiots like Dr. Evil lol.


    And I thought Bardem was excellent in the role. He's like a Bond gone completely insane. Can't wait to add it to the Bond 50 collection, again, hope they have a disc only version.
    HT gear: JVC RS46 3D projector with 147in Hi Power screen, Klipsch RF-7 based 7.1 system, SVS subwoofer, Emotiva XPA5 5 channel amp, Pioneer 1120 reciever, Oppo BDP-93(region free), PS4 Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2
  13. #43
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    Will they have a DISC ONLY version for the people who have the box set and space for the disc?
    Yeah, but only if you get discs from Netflix.
    Attached Images
    19" Panasonic CRT
    Sony Betamax
    Atari 2600
    Fleshlight
    Duct tape
  14. #44

    Default SKYFALL- Single Disk Version


    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    Will they have a DISC ONLY version for the people who have the box set and space for the disc?
    I have been in email contact with Fox and they have told me as of this moment there are no plans to release a separate disk for those who have the Bond 50 set.

    Maybe if enough people bug them! The current preorder price for Skyfall is over $30 that doesn't seem fair if we have to buy all the trimmings just for the disk.
  15. #45
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    416
    Skyfall is the ultimate love it or hate it film. There seems to be almost no middle ground on this one - people either think its the best Bond film ever, or the worst Bond film ever.

    I think its the worst. I disagree with every choice the writers and director made. Every single thing about Skyfall is completely wrong. Skyfall is the current holder of my personal Most Hated Movie Ever award. Pity it had to go to a film in the Bond series because truth be told, Skyfall is the first Bond movie I actually dislike.

    Dreadful film.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts