Reply 
Page 15 of 16 << First ... 5 13 14 15 16 Last>>
Results 211 to 225 of 237
  1. #211
    According to DVDTALK Forum member Brent L, Twilight Time responded to his email asking how many signed copies were available with 150. Very limited run indeed.
    My Collection

    Quote Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
    I don't think you get it, breasts are sexually arousing. That's just a fact...
  2. #212
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Kent, United Kingdom
    Posts
    3,986
    Quote Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
    Here is a statement from SAE regarding yesterday's sales event:

    We can't control the demand either.
    I find it amusing that on this occasion they restrict the numbers of copies, yet it is too little too late because had they restricted the copies on the main sale, then more people at that point would have been able to pick up a copy. It will be interesting to see if they impose a 1 copy per customer restriction from the outset on The Blob when that goes on sale...
    TV LG EA980W OLED
    Pioneer BDP-LX91/09FD (multi-region), Pioneer BDP-LX91/09FD (Region B), and Oppo BDP-95 (multi-region)
    Onkyo DV-HD805, Toshiba XE1
    Receiver - Pioneer SC-LX90/SC-09TX Susano
    Sub - B&W ASW750
    Surround - 3 x B&W DM-601 S3
    Centre - JBL EC35
    Floorstanding - 2 x JBL ES100
  3. #213
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    10,322
    Simultaneously with Christine, Twilight Time is also releasing Brian De Palma's The Fury today, another cult horror movie from the same time period. Both movies were made by famed directors, and did about equivalent box office at the time (~$20 million). Yet Christine sold out instantly at preorder, while The Fury still has copies available.

    Neither movie is considered one of the better efforts from its respective director. Does John Carpenter simply have a bigger and more loyal fan base than De Palma? Both directors had careers that burned brightly during the '70s and '80s, but both eventually flamed out and have been making a whole lot of crap in recent years.

    Why the huge demand for Christine, but not The Fury? If Twilight Time had an exclusive limited run on De Palma's Carrie (a big hit, and also a Stephen King adaptation), would that have sold out? I don't recall MGM's Blu-ray release of Carrie being a huge seller. I still see copies of it sitting unsold in Best Buy bargain bins.

    Remember all the consternation when Twilight Time announced a Blu-ray for As Good As It Gets? Surely, a popular Oscar winner with a huge star like Jack Nicholson would sell out instantly, right? Yet here we are nine months after release and Twilight Time still hasn't unloaded its 3,000 copy run.

    People were also concerned that cult '80s sci-fi movie Enemy Mine would vanish in a blink. That one's still available now too.

    The sad fact of the matter is that most catalog titles, no matter how famous, can't even move 3,000 copies. Is it really any surprise that the major studios would dump these movies onto third-party distributors like Twilight Time?
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
  4. #214
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    arizona
    Posts
    12,628
    Because it's also a Stephen King flick would be my guess. I've never heard of The Fury, but used to watch Christine as a kid.
  5. #215
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,700
    Josh, I'd say you are half right.

    There are many factors. 1st and foremost, the price. Casual fans of any given movie likely aren't willing to shell out $35 for it. Brian De Palma is an excellent filmmaker, but he never had a Halloween. John Carpenter enjoys the rarified status of being a director who changed a genre permanently. He has a rabid cult following as a result. Not to mention the fact that it's a Stephen King adaption, who brings his own rabid cult following to the table. Then you have gearheads who like the cars, and the excellent soundtrack. The Fury is a fairly obscure film, I consider myself a cinephile, but I wouldn't know about it if I hadn't run across the HDNET broadcast, the description and the cast interested me.

    Add to that, there's no telling how many more copies The Fury might have sold if it were sitting on Best Buy and Walmart shelves, or being offered on Amazon. Still however, conceding to your point, The Fury makes more sense as a Twilight Time release, because of it's obscurity. As Good as it Gets, all the Oscars in the world can't change the fact that it's a romcom, and a romcom starring a guy who is no longer attractive to young women, not surprising it hasn't sold out yet. Enemy Mine is a little more surprising, however it too is an obscure movie.

    Point being, Christine is not obscure. EVERYONE over 30 knows of the killer Plymouth Fury, any studio guy worth his salt should know Christine has a fairly large built in following thanks to it's creators. Fright Night, a vampire movie, at the height of vampire popularity, which had just been remade. It is considered by many one of the best vampire movies of the 80's. Any studio guy worth his salt would have known it could sell more than 3,000 copies. Night of the living Dead... FUCKING DUH! People are driving around with I *heart* Zombies bumperstickers right now! I've seen that shit!

    You are half right in that some movies are perfectly suited to Twilight Time. Still the price tag and obscurity of their website don't help your case. The fact that Fright Night, Night of the Living Dead and Christine all sold out despite being offered on an obscure site, and despite their price tags, prove your half wrongedness. Just a little common sense and marketing research would tell any moron in distribution that these movies had big selling potential.
    HT gear: JVC RS46 3D projector with 147in Hi Power screen, Klipsch RF-7 based 7.1 system, SVS subwoofer, Emotiva XPA5 5 channel amp, Pioneer 1120 reciever, Oppo BDP-93(region free), PS4 Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2
  6. #216
    Josh, horror movies have crazy cult followers, moreso than say As Good As It Gets.

    Look at Fright Night, NoTD. Hell, NoTD had a shit transfer yet the aftermarket of that thing selling was nuts.

    But you are right, it really depends on the movie, as not all will sell out.

    They better send me a magnet on this latest shipment! LOL

    Carpenter has a MUCH more cult following than DePalma.
  7. #217
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
    Josh, horror movies have crazy cult followers, moreso than say As Good As It Gets.

    Look at Fright Night, NoTD. Hell, NoTD had a shit transfer yet the aftermarket of that thing selling was nuts.

    But you are right, it really depends on the movie, as not all will sell out.

    They better send me a magnet on this latest shipment! LOL

    Carpenter has a MUCH more cult following than DePalma.
    I agree with all that, but also, as a non-horror fan generally, but based on what I've witnessed just reading about film and taking part in forums like this are that horror fans tend to be "collectors."

    There seems to be something about horror fans that makes them want to collect horror films, props, memorabilia, etc moreso than fans of other genres. There just seems to be so much tied into horror genre fandom aside from the films themselves. As a complete outsider, I tend to view horror film fandom as a sort of culture beyond people with a simple preference in the type of film they like.

    I mean, people in here that are horror junkies can attest to or disclaim all that, but that's just my perception of the hardcore horror film fanbase that separates it from say people who really like romcoms.

    So, I tend to think any fairly well-known limited edition horror film will sell out. Hell, Mondo routinely and quickly sells out their limited edition vhs releases of horror films (granted the runs are about 10% of Twilight's, but still)...VHS!
    My Collection

    Quote Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
    I don't think you get it, breasts are sexually arousing. That's just a fact...
  8. #218
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    10,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
    Brian De Palma is an excellent filmmaker, but he never had a Halloween. John Carpenter enjoys the rarified status of being a director who changed a genre permanently.
    Carpenter never had an Untouchables.

    He has a rabid cult following as a result.
    Yet we don't see copies of Ghosts of Mars or Escape from L.A. flying off store shelves. Why aren't his rapid fans sending those titles through the stratosphere?

    As Good as it Gets, all the Oscars in the world can't change the fact that it's a romcom, and a romcom starring a guy who is no longer attractive to young women, not surprising it hasn't sold out yet.
    The movie made more than $300 million during its original release, despite starring "a guy who is no longer attractive to young women."

    Point being, Christine is not obscure. EVERYONE over 30 knows of the killer Plymouth Fury,
    The movie was actually a trivia question on Jeopardy recently. None of the contestants (all over 30) knew the answer.

    Fright Night, a vampire movie, at the height of vampire popularity, which had just been remade. It is considered by many one of the best vampire movies of the 80's. Any studio guy worth his salt would have known it could sell more than 3,000 copies.
    The Fright Night remake was a disastrous bomb because nobody remembered the original. Anyone who considers the original one of the best vampire movies of the '80s hasn't actually watched it since the '80s. The movie was also never a big seller on DVD. There was absolutely no indication that it would sell well on Blu-ray.

    Night of the living Dead... FUCKING DUH! People are driving around with I *heart* Zombies bumperstickers right now! I've seen that shit!
    Yet the Night of the Living Dead remake was a box office flop that hardly anyone but hardcore George Romero devotees remembers. Again, there was no indication that it would sell well on Blu-ray.

    The fact that Fright Night, Night of the Living Dead and Christine all sold out despite being offered on an obscure site, and despite their price tags, prove your half wrongedness. Just a little common sense and marketing research would tell any moron in distribution that these movies had big selling potential.
    I disagree. These movies never had "big selling potential." The fact that they sold-out their 3,000 copy runs (which is a rather pathetic number by major studio standards, by the way) had more to do with scalpers buying up all the copies to speculate on them. How many of those secondhand copies have actually sold on eBay for the prices being asked?
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
  9. #219
    Based on a quick eBay search and looking at active, sold, and completed listings. Fright Night and Christine seem to be more of the real deal in terms of there being true demand and far above $29.95/title, but Night of the Living Dead seems to only garner a marginal markup. So, I think the scalpers may have lost their bet on that title (and by "lost" I mean are only making a profit of about $10 or so per disc).
    My Collection

    Quote Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
    I don't think you get it, breasts are sexually arousing. That's just a fact...
  10. #220
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    3,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    Yet we don't see copies of Ghosts of Mars or Escape from L.A. flying off store shelves. Why aren't his rapid fans sending those titles through the stratosphere?
    The same reason De Palma's The Bonfire of the Vanities and The Black Dahlia aren't big sellers either. They're all awful movies.
    "When I'm drunk I like to Google 'Daniel Waters underrated' and see what comes up." - Daniel Waters
  11. #221
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,700
    I'm too lazy for the multi quote so...

    The Untouchbles hasn't held up well, and it didn't redefine a genre.

    Who says those movies don't sell well? In any case I'd wager they've sold more than 3,000 copies each.

    Romcoms can do well at the box office without selling well on video, chicks like to go to the movies, they don't like to buy as much as guys.

    People who watch and are on Jeopardy... not gonna touch that one.

    The Fright Night remake may have been a bomb, but it was a well advertised 3D bomb, any publicity, good or bad, is still publicity, and it gets people thinking of the original and how much better it almost certainly is. I've watched it since the 80's(on Blu Ray ) and consider it a classic, as many others obviously do as well since it sold out. I dont think scalpers were much of an issue with this one. It took a few days to sell out, I couldn't have imagined it would have so quickly and that the eBay prices would become what they did.

    Night of the Living Dead remake may have been a box office flop, so was Army of Darkness, Cabin in the Woods and countless other genre cult classics which have strong lives on video. And zombies weren't "in" in 1990.

    I will agree the scalpers have seriously muddied the waters, thanks to that stupid site allowing 10 copies per customer. My 2nd copy of Christine already has a bid at $70 an hour after I listed it, and it has 9 watchers as of this morning.

    And another thing, horror fans are different, they just are. Who would pay $35 for As Good as it Gets? I don't know, but horror fans will cough that dough up to round out their collections, I don't know why, they just will. $35 is too much for Christine for me personally, I only did it with buying 2 copies in mind so the 2nd copy could pay for both, which it already is, anymore bids are just gravy.
    Last edited by Plissken99; 03-11-2013 at 04:46 PM.
    HT gear: JVC RS46 3D projector with 147in Hi Power screen, Klipsch RF-7 based 7.1 system, SVS subwoofer, Emotiva XPA5 5 channel amp, Pioneer 1120 reciever, Oppo BDP-93(region free), PS4 Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2
  12. #222
    Still the price tag and obscurity of their website don't help your case.
    This is another one of my issues with Twilight Time. If I didn't read this site, I would never know about Twilight Time. If I ran across it looking for NOTLD on Blu-ray, I would look at the site, and think that it was a bootleg copy someone was selling.
  13. #223
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordashebasics View Post
    This is another one of my issues with Twilight Time. If I didn't read this site, I would never know about Twilight Time. If I ran across it looking for NOTLD on Blu-ray, I would look at the site, and think that it was a bootleg copy someone was selling.
    They're a new niche label. What do you expect? Unless you mean bootleg b/c they are not sold in Best Buy, but their entire business is run on the fact that they sell limited runs, so that's not exactly feasible.

    It is not like you're going to see a Shout! Factory or Blue Underground commercial during Modern Family. These niche distributors need time to grow before they become a "brand." And Twilight Time is the niche of the niche.
    My Collection

    Quote Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
    I don't think you get it, breasts are sexually arousing. That's just a fact...
  14. #224
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    10,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
    I will agree the scalpers have seriously muddied the waters, thanks to that stupid site allowing 10 copies per customer. My 2nd copy of Christine already has a bid at $70 an hour after I listed it, and it has 9 watchers as of this morning.

    $35 is too much for Christine for me personally, I only did it with buying 2 copies in mind so the 2nd copy could pay for both, which it already is, anymore bids are just gravy.
    So, in other words, you're one of the scalpers who is part of the problem?
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
  15. #225
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Denver, CO
    Posts
    1,700
    I'm not being greedy, I could have bought 8 more copies to turn a profit, I only wanted to offset the ridiculous price and get a movie I love into the collection. So no, I'm not part of the problem, people who bought 10 copies are. Hey come on man, why attack me? We're having a healthy debate here.
    HT gear: JVC RS46 3D projector with 147in Hi Power screen, Klipsch RF-7 based 7.1 system, SVS subwoofer, Emotiva XPA5 5 channel amp, Pioneer 1120 reciever, Oppo BDP-93(region free), PS4 Xbox 360, Toshiba XA2

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts