Default The Verizon and Redbox Joint Venture is Hitting This August

We'll be seeing what the pair has to offer very soon.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/red...h-august-26540
    Besides the typical streaming over the Internet and package bundles, make it so consumers can download digital rentals onto their USB flash devices from Redbox kiosks and Verizon/Redbox will have a real winner on their hands.
    they would have to put some hefty DRM in place if the went the usb route
    Last edited by flipp jackson; 02-29-2012 at 12:04 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by flipp jackson View Post
    they would have to put some hefty DRM in place if the went the usb route
    The studios wouldn't want it any other way. It's in use at airports already, in limited distribution, so tapping into that market with Redbox's existing customer base would be an easy win.

For the retailer, less inventory overhead on physical packaging and for the consumer, there's no roundtrip required for a physical rental since the DRM copy could be deleted from the flash device after it expires.
    if they could get that to work right that would be pretty awesome

for me if they can get redbox style pricing on streaming movies i'd be all over it... it's pretty ridiculous that VUDU charges $4 to rent one SD or $5-6 to rent one HD movie. I'd gladly pay $1.20-2.50 a day to stream a given movie if the quality was acceptable.

Unfortunately VUDU was my only option this weekend when i wanted to watch martha marcy may marlene since pretty much all physical rental places in Northern Virginia are closed for business, it's not a big enough title for redbox AND it wasn't on demand via fios
    Getting streaming movies at Redbox prices is going to be a tough call. It would cannibalize their existing physical rentals and leave little profit margin shared between the companies. Best case would be rental charges in-line with others or perhaps slightly less. The clear advantage and differentiator of using kiosks is that Redbox already has footprints in thousands of locations and consumers who use them regularly for rentals.