Go Back   High-Def Digest Forums > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Software General Discussion
Reload this Page 'Boardwalk Empire: The Complete First Season' - High-Def Digest Review
Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last>>

Default 'Boardwalk Empire: The Complete First Season' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron Peck has reviewed 'Boardwalk Empire: The Complete First Season.' He says this is another great HBO series. With perfect audio and video, and some clever PiP Blu-ray exclusives, this Blu-ray set comes highly recommended.

Full review here:
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4606...empire_s1.html
    I'm glad its finally coming out but it's incredibly mind boggling why they waited until now to release it. I mean, Season 2 just ended a couple of weeks ago. Releasing it BEFORE season 2 started would have made more sense. Hopefully they release season 2 on Blu before 3 starts in September.
    Winner of the 2014 "coworkers are looking at me for apparently laughing at nothing" award.
    Quote Originally Posted by thejnc View Post
    Seriously, change your sig. My coworkers are looking at me for apparently laughing at nothing.
    I would love to watch this show, but it is as the reviewer said, with production costs, how long will the show run? The problem with HBO shows is that they are cancelled and have no real endings. This happened to Deadwood, Rome, and Carnival. It is why I have yet to watch this show or Game of Thrones.
    "...somewhere out there, michael bay now has the basis for his next film...and it's all your fault." - project-blu
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    I would love to watch this show, but it is as the reviewer said, with production costs, how long will the show run? The problem with HBO shows is that they are cancelled and have no real endings. This happened to Deadwood, Rome, and Carnival. It is why I have yet to watch this show or Game of Thrones.
    You do have a point. I have watched Boardwalk Empire and loved it but I hope they don't cancel it. The same with Game of Thrones. They just canceled Hung, which I really liked and wasn't a huge budget show.
    Winner of the 2014 "coworkers are looking at me for apparently laughing at nothing" award.
    Seriously, change your sig. My coworkers are looking at me for apparently laughing at nothing.
    Game of Thrones as novels though. So, you can always continue the story. The problem with the others was that they were original programs.

Deadwood is the saddest of the bunch. Fantastic show that got the boot. BOO!
    "How long is this movie?"

"Who directed it?"

"David Lean"

"Three hours...at least."
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    Game of Thrones as novels though. So, you can always continue the story. The problem with the others was that they were original programs.

Deadwood is the saddest of the bunch. Fantastic show that got the boot. BOO!
    Yeah, I've been reading since the 90's lol. Love the series and how close ( for the most part) they are following the books.

I never saw Deadwood but have always heard good things.
    This is no different than any other TV network. If shows don't get ratings, they don't get renewed.

Rome does have an ending, however. Although the story could have continued further, the producers were given enough advance notice to tie up the storylines.

There are plenty of examples of HBO series that ran for years, and were allowed to end on their own terms with definitive series finales. Off the top of my head: The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, Big Love, Entourage, Oz, The Wire, Sex & the City. Also, Flight of the Conchords ended when the creators decided that they didn't have enough ideas for a third season and didn't want to continue. It was never canceled, and could theoretically return if the band wanted.

HBO's track record for supporting quality shows is better than just about any other network. Unfortunately, sometimes things just don't work out.
    Last edited by Josh Z; 01-05-2012 at 12:27 PM.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    This is no different than any other TV network. If shows don't get ratings, they don't get renewed.
    This is what worries me. Ratings were good, but have since dropped off from the first season. Hope it doesn't get the point like 'Rome' where they can't justify the enormous expenses.
    Sopranos had an ending?
    "...somewhere out there, michael bay now has the basis for his next film...and it's all your fault." - project-blu
    Sopranos had an ending?
    Yes, it did. There's more to that ending than onion rings and Journey. And it's a shame that so many people were to dense to really realize it.
    "When I'm drunk I like to Google 'Daniel Waters underrated' and see what comes up." - Daniel Waters
    Sopranos had an ending?
    It had the ending that David Chase wanted, though perhaps not the ending that many of the viewers wanted. Had the show run for another 10 years, it would still have ended the same way.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
    On sale now at Best Buy and Amazon for $34.99. BB is an exclusive edition - any ideas what the exclusive features are?
    The bestbuy exclusive has the first episode of season two on a separate disc shoddily crammed into shrink wrapping along with the "normal" box set. I say it in this manner because I got the regular edition from bestbuy because the exclusives were all damaged from the cramming.
    Just finished up season 1. Wasn't a big fan of Michael Pitt, but to be fair, only seen a couple of his movies, after Boardwalk Empire, that guy is great. I know a lot of folk have been singing praises for Michael Shannon, but didn't think his character was all that great.
    I know a lot of folk have been singing praises for Michael Shannon, but didn't think his character was all that great.
    Blasphemy. You're opinion is now invalid.
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by miDnIghtEr View Post
    Sometimes I don't speak right. But still I know what I'm talking about...
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies