Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last>>

Default West Side Story recall/exchange program info

Thanks to Digital Bits for the info; apparently for "corrected opening titles" (??) - wonder if it's similar to the Halloween 2 replacement?

To request a replacement copy of MGM's West Side Story Blu-ray, please call 877-369-7867 (M-F, 8 AM-5 PM PST) or email support@foxcustomercare.com. They'll arrange a way to make the swap.

As for fixed discs in stores, there is no call out on the packaging to distinguish versions, so you'll need to check the UPC barcodes. The corrected versions carry the following codes:

For the Blu-ray Single: UPC #88390424523082
    For the Blu-ray Box Set: UPC #88390424521681
    Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    apparently for "corrected opening titles" (??)
    The movie's opening titles sequence is supposed to end with a dissolve from the animated titles to the live action footage. The Blu-ray transfer instead fades to black after the titles and then fades back in. This caused a mini uproad among fans of the film, so MGM has apparently re-transferred that part of the movie from corrected film elements.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    The movie's opening titles sequence is supposed to end with a dissolve from the animated titles to the live action footage. The Blu-ray transfer instead fades to black after the titles and then fades back in. This caused a mini uproad among fans of the film, so MGM has apparently re-transferred that part of the movie from corrected film elements.
    I believe this was the reason David held back on a MUST OWN for this title in his review.

This is good news.
    Local Best Buy has the corrected copies in stock along with the originals for the regular edition. It is easy to spot as the final two numbers "82" are printed above the bar code instead of all numbers below as is usual. I purchased one Saturday.

I am not convinced that the correction was made properly color rendition in the dissolve seems dark and does not look as good (resolution aside) as a U-Tube posting of the overture sequence.
    You can find the latest specs for 'West Side Story: 50th Anniversary Edition' linked from our Blu-ray Release Schedule, where it's indexed under November 15.
    LOL, gotta love how this site copies and pastes a new story into an old, outdated one. :-) Just poking fun, guys, nothing nasty meant.
    Im a little confused. I have the 3 disc Blu ray set I bought from Best Buy. My disc has a red/orange fade to black, then it come back Blue with West Side Story across the bottom and then fades to the city of New York.
    The bar code last two digits is 80. Is that what your referring to Josh? .. or anyone. I haven't seen the movie in years, can anyone tell me is that the only change?
    Quote Originally Posted by SamBeckett View Post
    Im a little confused. I have the 3 disc Blu ray set I bought from Best Buy. My disc has a red/orange fade to black, then it come back Blue with West Side Story across the bottom and then fades to the city of New York.
    The bar code last two digits is 80. Is that what your referring to Josh? .. or anyone. I haven't seen the movie in years, can anyone tell me is that the only change?
    Yes, that's the part. Instead of fading out and back in, the two images should have a dissolve transition over one another.

There are other complaints about issues with the video transfer, but that's the only change to the movie that has now been corrected.
    Josh Z
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
    Thanks for video comparison.

My 50th Edition digibook has the issue on the blu ray and dvd.

Gonna email them now.

PROPS to the reviewer for noticing that! Thanks!
    There's a lot of complaining on other forums that the "fix" is a half-assed job, as you can see in the YouTube comparison that Xylon posted above.
    Josh Z
    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    There's a lot of complaining on other forums that the "fix" is a half-assed job, as you can see in the YouTube comparison that Xylon posted above.
    I'll tell you what's half assed is this whole exchange program. I didn't bother calling them but their email said use the link and I did. I had to enter a UPC code to see if my disc had the problem, even though I KNOW it did when I watched it. Second, the stupid UPC is on the SLEEVE which I NEVER keep on any of my blu rays. Surely other customers don't either. Luckily I figured out the # associated with the bad batch. Third, they require you to send the WHOLE package in. WTF is up with that? I have the digibook so I had to wrap it up and send it in. Makes no sense.

Let's contrast this with a REAL exchange program, the Red White Blue Criterion. I email Criterion, they reply simple email the DISC ONLY back to us oh and hey here is $10 coupon for your troubles. I receive back the proper disc within a week. THIS is how a disc replacement program should work, IMO.

Sending the whole package back is ridiculous. If they give me any shit because I don't have the SLEEVE with UPC I am going to be royally pissed.
    Boston, you should have done a bit more research. For the Target digibook and collector's set, you only have to send the disc back regardless of what the instructions say. This has been confirmed by MGM.

Personally, I just made it easy on myself and picked up the corrected version at Best Buy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cougartiger View Post
    Boston, you should have done a bit more research. For the Target digibook and collector's set, you only have to send the disc back regardless of what the instructions say. This has been confirmed by MGM.

Personally, I just made it easy on myself and picked up the corrected version at Best Buy.
    Confirmed by MGM where?
    I followed the link on THEIR website and it told me to return the whole thing, how am I supposed to know?
    I'm sorry, no matter what version you get, they only need the disc(s) returned. I just hope they return everything back properly.
    Thanks
    I followed their explicit instructions as well, sending the whole 4 disc 50th Anniversary West Side Story package back to them, using the UPS pre-paid label they e-mailed to me. They received & signed for the package on January 20 2012. It is now February 6 & I have not yet received anything back from them. Has anyone received anything back yet? (And, if so, and you also sent them the whole 4 disc package as instructed, did you receive back a complete package?) Does anyone know how long the "turnaround" is supposed to take?
    Quote Originally Posted by r-gordon-7 View Post
    I followed their explicit instructions as well, sending the whole 4 disc 50th Anniversary West Side Story package back to them, using the UPS pre-paid label they e-mailed to me. They received & signed for the package on January 20 2012. It is now February 6 & I have not yet received anything back from them. Has anyone received anything back yet? (And, if so, and you also sent them the whole 4 disc package as instructed, did you receive back a complete package?) Does anyone know how long the "turnaround" is supposed to take?
    I haven't received anything back yet so I'm hoping soon