Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Attebery is offline Member

Default '12 Angry Men' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of '12 Angry Men' has just been posted. David Krauss says this is one of the all-time great legal dramas. This Criterion Blu-ray does the film proud with excellent black-and-white video, solid audio, and tons of extras. This is highly recommended.

Full review here:
    http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5763/12_angry.html
    Check out my author website and
    get a free copy of BRICK RANSOM!
    www.mikeattebery.com

Boston007 is online now Member

Hey thanks for adding the thread

This movie is one of my favorites! Who would ever think a movie set in 1 ROOM, no special effects, could be excellent from the start to the end!

Now I just need to pick this up on a sale! LOL

hojusimpson is offline Member

An absolutely brilliant film. A few years back, the collector's edition DVD was on sale for $3.99. I cleared out Future Shop's stock and gave them away as gifts to people who did not own (or worse, had not seen) the movie.

It wasn't mentioned but Sean Phillips' cover is perfect. He's one of my favourite artists and when I saw on his blog that he was tasked with the design, I knew it was going to be a good one. Boston007 said it well about how this simple movie works -- it works because every actor killed in their role, a fact reflected by the range of emotions captured on the cover.

As you can tell, I'm very excited for this movie to replace the DVD version on my shelf. Thanks for the review!

Quote Originally Posted by hojusimpson View Post
    An absolutely brilliant film. A few years back, the collector's edition DVD was on sale for $3.99. I cleared out Future Shop's stock and gave them away as gifts to people who did not own (or worse, had not seen) the movie.

It wasn't mentioned but Sean Phillips' cover is perfect. He's one of my favourite artists and when I saw on his blog that he was tasked with the design, I knew it was going to be a good one. Boston007 said it well about how this simple movie works -- it works because every actor killed in their role, a fact reflected by the range of emotions captured on the cover.
    As you can tell, I'm very excited for this movie to replace the DVD version on my shelf. Thanks for the review!
    Yes that is an excellent point and in afterthought, that cover works. Can't wait to get this. VERY nice of you gifting the movie years ago

HiRez is offline Member

Definitely picking this up during the next B&N Criterion sale. A classic in my opinion. Anyone ever see the remake they did of this a few years back? It may have gone straight to dvd. I only saw the trailer and if I remember correctly, Tony Danza was casted as the sports fanatic. That pretty much merits a viewing right there.

Quote Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
    Definitely picking this up during the next B&N Criterion sale. A classic in my opinion. Anyone ever see the remake they did of this a few years back? It may have gone straight to dvd. I only saw the trailer and if I remember correctly, Tony Danza was casted as the sports fanatic. That pretty much merits a viewing right there.
    Never knew they did a remake!

I may have to buy this outright and not wait for any sale, MAYBE. I just got a $5 off DeepDiscount coupon. I like this movie that much.

ronnie_barzel is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by HiRez View Post
    I vaguely remember the remake, but I hadn't realized just how great a cast it had: Courtney Vance in the Martin Balsam role as foreman, George C. Scott as the racist and Jack Lemmon as Henry Fonda. (Among the other jurors: James Gandolfini, William Petersen, Ossie Davis and Hume Cronyn.)

HiRez is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie_barzel View Post
    I vaguely remember the remake, but I hadn't realized just how great a cast it had: Courtney Vance in the Martin Balsam role as foreman, George C. Scott as the racist and Jack Lemmon as Henry Fonda. (Among the other jurors: James Gandolfini, William Petersen, Ossie Davis and Hume Cronyn.)
    Wow really? Yeah a quick glance at RT shows it's 100% fresh. This might be worth tracking down for a viewing. Can't see it topping the original of course, but it definitely sounds promising. Would've been awesome if this remake was included as a bonus feature or something like they did with The Day The Earth Stood Still.

l87ry is offline Member

One of my favourite films. Has anyone heard of a UK release date?

The remake was a made for tv movie for the Showtime network. It was directed by William Friedkin.

I've always enjoyed the remake. Not as good as the original yet still topical even today. The acting was fantastic and George C Scott has the strandout performance in my opinion. I have to say though, I totally forgot Tony Soprano was in it.

I need this BD badly too as this is one of my all-time favorite movies. I went a little over budget this month on the blu rays so I'll have to grab this sometime next month.
    I don't care what the white mon say, Santa Clause was a black mon.

Freddy "Boom-Boom" Washington

terpfan1980 is offline Member

Like others here, if I wasn't already well over my budget for entertainment, I think I'd be all over buying this one and even now I'm still torn about getting it ASAP. I love this movie and it sounds like the studio did it well, so it's going to be difficult to hold back on. I may tell my Mrs. to snag this one as one of my Christmas presents

Woohoo! Mrs. agreed to pay for this one for Christmas for me. I <3 my Mrs. and love this film as well. Really looking forward to watching all of the extras more so than the film, though I can watch the film repeatedly and never be bored by it.

Reading back upwards in this thread a bit, I wanted to also add similar thoughts to wanting to get a copy of the "remake" of this film. I happened to catch the Showtime version when it was aired and thought it was really, really well done and enjoyed seeing who took the various roles that I knew so well from the earlier version of the film. I really wish that version had been included as a bonus with this disc, but I knew that was expecting a bit too much. Still, I'd love to see that version again

Quote Originally Posted by Flex Mentallo View Post
    The remake was a made for tv movie for the Showtime network. It was directed by William Friedkin.

I've always enjoyed the remake. Not as good as the original yet still topical even today. The acting was fantastic and George C Scott has the strandout performance in my opinion. I have to say though, I totally forgot Tony Soprano was in it.

I need this BD badly too as this is one of my all-time favorite movies. I went a little over budget this month on the blu rays so I'll have to grab this sometime next month.

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Technically, this movie is itself a remake of a 1954 episode of the TV anthology series 'Studio One' (aka 'Westinghouse Studio One'):

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122737/
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

wasnt their another remake with "The Weasel" 'Pauly Shore'?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast