Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Boston007 is online now Member

Hey guys, I watched this tonight. Great pictures and sound. I can't believe they couldn't remove that thread that appears in the left side later in the film but I don't mind. Really nice job. What an enjoyable film.

Bubdylan is offline Member

"to determine whether a man should be released from jail or forever incarcerated,"

Sorry to nitpick, but it was either a release or the electric chair.

This is my all time favorite film. The pacing is perfect with quiet pauses punctuating energetic, smart dialogue. It's a very rhythmic, nuanced world I enjoy visiting often. There is a lot to be found in watching the actors' mannerisms when they are not featured in the main dialogue, what they are doing in the background.

My favorite aspect of the movie is the presence of goodwill between the men, ironic given the title. There is fierce conflict, even hatred, but the realistic and slow shift towards agreement, while never becoming too sentimental or sacrificing a very manly tone, is a rarity in film.

It looks so good on Blu ray, the grain level has to be the most perfect and pleasing of any B&W brd I own.

And the rain featured in this movie is one of the all time great "rain as a major character" moments. It cools the jury room, soothes the tension of stark silence between the dialogue, and introduces some sort of inexorable (sp?) tone of resolve, if that doesn't sound too contrived.

One of the few films I can watch as many times (a hundred or more already) as I want without getting sick of it.

RobG is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bubdylan View Post
    This is my all time favorite film. The pacing is perfect with quiet pauses punctuating energetic, smart dialogue. It's a very rhythmic, nuanced world I enjoy visiting often. There is a lot to be found in watching the actors' mannerisms when they are not featured in the main dialogue, what they are doing in the background.

My favorite aspect of the movie is the presence of goodwill between the men, ironic given the title. There is fierce conflict, even hatred, but the realistic and slow shift towards agreement, while never becoming too sentimental or sacrificing a very manly tone, is a rarity in film.

It looks so good on Blu ray, the grain level has to be the most perfect and pleasing of any B&W brd I own.

And the rain featured in this movie is one of the all time great "rain as a major character" moments. It cools the jury room, soothes the tension of stark silence between the dialogue, and introduces some sort of inexorable (sp?) tone of resolve, if that doesn't sound too contrived.

One of the few films I can watch as many times (a hundred or more already) as I want without getting sick of it.
    Finding a film like that is a wonderful thing. I enjoy this film, but it's not my all time favorite. My all time favorite is Shane. There's just something about that film that works for me. I'm glad you found a film that works for you.
    Rob

Panasonic 58" V10
    Toshiba XA2
    OPPO UPD-203
    DVD - 489

Julian is offline Member

Just saw this movie for the first time the day before yesterday. Wow. Just wow. EXTREMELY AWESOME!!! I happened to buy the UK release, which (sadly) drops a lot of Criterion extras, but does add an audio commentary.

Quote Originally Posted by RobG View Post
    Finding a film like that is a wonderful thing. I enjoy this film, but it's not my all time favorite. My all time favorite is Shane. There's just something about that film that works for me. I'm glad you found a film that works for you.
    Shane works for me, too. It's in my top ten. And it's just as hard to articulate what makes Shane so perfect as it is with 12 Angry Men.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12