Page 58 of 81 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by kannisto View Post
    I watched this last night with external subs (had to piece them together from 2 separate files but translation quality was fine). I agree with your evaluation, not that great but it was OK'ish. It was a bit stereotypical and the acting was kind of stiff. A bit too much like a clone of Hollywood natural disaster movies. The over-melodramatic slow-motion scenes towards the end were unintentionally funny. Anyway, I stayed awake through the whole movie so it wasn't all that bad I enjoyed recognizing various Tokyo locations and indeed PQ / AQ were fine.

Finally got a shipping notice for "Boy A" from Megstore, looking forward to receiving it
    Where is a good site for downloading English subs for releases that don't have them? Are you then re-authoring the discs with the subtitle files in order to watch the film?

kannisto is offline Imports enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by collectorgonewild View Post
    Where is a good site for downloading English subs for releases that don't have them? Are you then re-authoring the discs with the subtitle files in order to watch the film?
    http://www.opensubtitles.org/ is the best site for those to my knowledge. I also use http://www.subbiee.com/. Yes, I use tsmuxer to mux the subs together with the original video and audio streams. Typically the subs need some re-timing to be done before the timings are good though. I use Subtitle Workshop for tuning them and I compare the timestamps to subs in other language from the original BD.

I got Film 4's Gangster No. 1 from UK this week, the back cover says it's 1080i. It seems to be region free, worked OK on my LG BD370. It has somewhat grain scrubbed look, didn't look very natural, also some EE... I didn't watch it completely yet, but did get to about half-point as it captured my interest when I was just intending to check the PQ late at night

I picked up Shonen Merikensack today, it's a Japanese Punk Rock comedy. No English subs, a Japanese TrueHD 5.1 track + Japanese DD stereo track and a Japanese commentary DD stereo track.

Seems like an interesting movie. I think it's region free but AnyDVD HD couldn't determine region. VAP releases have been region free and this also doesn't have any region code marks anywhere.

Summary for drive G: (AnyDVD 6.5.7.4)
    HL-DT-ST BD-REGGW-H20N XL05 [serial no removed]
    Drive (Hardware) Region: 2

Media is a Blu-Ray disc.

Total size: 24184768 sectors (47235 MBytes)
    Video Blu-ray label: SHONEN_MERIKENSACK_BD
    Media is AACS protected!
    AACS MKB version 14
    Removed AACS copy protection!
    ERROR: Exception in GuessRegionCode!
    Can't determine region code!
    Removed UOPs!
    http://www.meriken-movie.jp/
    http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/21218/
    http://twitchfilm.net/site/view/pifa...n-merikensack/
    http://www.allmovie.com/work/shonen-merikensack-477403
    http://asianmediawiki.com/The_Shonen_Merikensack
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1313146/
    Last edited by kannisto; 08-15-2009 at 07:08 AM.

ahsoka is offline Member

I think it's region free but AnyDVD HD couldn't determine region. VAP releases have been region free and this also doesn't have any region code marks anywhere.
    Got Shonen Merikensack earlier this week and it's indeed Region Free.

Quote Originally Posted by ahsoka View Post
    Got Shonen Merikensack earlier this week and it's indeed Region Free.
    Did you watch it yet? I just started to take a peek and ended up watching the first hour. My 6 year old son seemed to like it too, he didn't want to finish watching... Seemed quite fun with a lot physical comedy. I'll try to watch it in whole tonight.

ahsoka is offline Member

No, I havn't watched it yet. I might wait a while to see if I can find external subs for it. Watched a bit at the beginning though and it does look like a fun movie and PQ seems very good.

No, I havn't watched it yet. I might wait a while to see if I can find external subs for it. Watched a bit at the beginning though and it does look like a fun movie and PQ seems very good.
    I watched it last night and liked it very much, excellent PQ and the AQ made a special impression with some audio effects and music. It was fairly easy to follow the story with my Japanese level though I missed some bits of dialogue here and there. Everything was quite well visualized so that it wasn't necessary to understand the dialogue completely all the time. Would be nice to rewatch at some point with external subs but I think it worked well without them as well.

ahsoka is offline Member

I watched it last night and liked it very much, excellent PQ and the AQ made a special impression with some audio effects and music. It was fairly easy to follow the story with my Japanese level though I missed some bits of dialogue here and there. Everything was quite well visualized so that it wasn't necessary to understand the dialogue completely all the time. Would be nice to rewatch at some point with external subs but I think it worked well without them as well.
    OK, I watched it today and enjoyed it quite a lot and good acting overall.

OK, I watched it today and enjoyed it quite a lot and good acting overall.
    Yeah, all the characters were played well. Aoi Miyazaki was very lively in it, quite different to how she played the lead role in Hatsukoi I noticed she's Children of the Dark as well, I've still to watch that one. Been hoping to find external subs as the combination of Thai language and Japanese may be quite challenging.

I watched Hotel Hibiscus last night, very atmospheric movie with nice Okinawan scenery. Looked very nice. I've never been to Okinawa so far, I've only experienced some Okinawa cuisine a few times in Tokyo. Looking forward to watching Nabbie's Love next.

ahsoka is offline Member

I noticed she's Children of the Dark as well, I've still to watch that one. Been hoping to find external subs as the combination of Thai language and Japanese may be quite challenging.
    I havn't watched that movie either yet. I'm going to watch Climber's High soon as I'm really curious about it and it doesn't seem like there's going to be any subs for it...

Received these yesterday.

From Megastore Sweden:
    I Taket Lyser Stjärnorna (Sandrew Metronome)
    Region free, includes English + some Nordic subs, Swedish DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio.

Maria Larssons Eviga Ögonblick (Sandrew Metronome)
    Region free, no English just Nordic subs, Swedish DTS-HD MA 5.1

My package from Sweden had been misrouted to Canada somehow and it came to the right location from there, took 2 weeks on the way. I was a bit worried about it as normally packages from Megastore arrive in 3-5 days. Happy to get those finally I was just planning to contact Megastore after yesterday about those if the package still hadn't arrived...

From UK (BlahDVD):
    - Elephant (Optimum) (Region B locked)
    - Redacted (Optimum) (Region B locked)

Homerx is offline Member

a few bennson movies coming to blu in france on the 9th of september. i may have to get them if they are region free. they say parramount which has been free in the past

judesalmon is offline Member

Received In The Loop yesterday and tested it on my Region A PS3 to see if it is region B locked as the cover suggests, and it is. Haven't looked at it on my region-free player yet, so can't comment on PQ etc.

ahsoka is offline Member

Default Hero & House of Flying Daggers [PL]

No English subtitles. Region Free. Both releases are full screen (open matte)!
    HoFD has some PAL content before the movie.

House of Flying Daggers [PL]/[ES]

Hero [PL]/[FR]
    Last edited by ahsoka; 08-25-2009 at 02:20 AM.

Page 58 of 81 FirstFirst ... 848565758596068 ... LastLast