Default The World At War - The Ultimate Restored Edition (UK) September 20th

The World At War remains one of the greatest documentary series ever made. It is simply one of those TV programmes that has rightly earned the status of 'classic'. In 2000, the BFI voted it 19th among the top 100 UK TV programmes ever made. These are 26 episodes of some of the finest WW2 documentary making that you could ever wish to see. Laurence Olivier narrated all 26 episodes. Hopefully this restored edition will include subsequently added hour plus of extra footage that was narrated by Eric Porter.
    Frankly this should be a monumental .

http://www.play.com/DVD/Blu-ray/4-/1...n/Product.html

http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/worldat...he_series.html
    TV LG EA980W OLED
    Pioneer BDP-LX91/09FD (multi-region), Pioneer BDP-LX91/09FD (Region B), and Oppo BDP-95 (multi-region)
    Onkyo DV-HD805, Toshiba XE1
    Receiver - Pioneer SC-LX90/SC-09TX Susano
    Sub - B&W ASW750
    Surround - 3 x B&W DM-601 S3
    Centre - JBL EC35
    Floorstanding - 2 x JBL ES100
    wow looking forward to see this
    I just saw this while idling looking through amazon's boxsets and my jaw dropped. This will be truly epic.

I really hope they do a decent job of this one, with the bonus material from the previous boxset and an uncompressed soundtrack.

How will this be in 1080i/50 or 1080p/24 I wonder...
    After some more searching I found this:

http://www.fremantlemedia.com/news/n...terprises.aspx

The painstaking restoration project saw each frame restored individually and audio has been upgraded to 5.1 DTS Master Audio. Both DVD and Blu-ray formats will be in 16:9 ratio for optimised viewing on modern wide-screen televisions.
    They are cropping it all from 4:3 to 16:9..? What a criminally stupid thing to do. I mean really... What the fuck?
    who knows.
    it could be that much footage will be shown at 4:3 and that could be interviews or something.
    hard to believe they would make the entire thing 16:9.
    I agree that it sounds somewhat disheartening, but let's wait for more info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
    who knows.
    it could be that much footage will be shown at 4:3 and that could be interviews or something.
    hard to believe they would make the entire thing 16:9.
    I agree that it sounds somewhat disheartening, but let's wait for more info.
    I agree that this will be a case of wait and see. In the meantime here is another article on the restoration which includes screen caps of old and newly restored footage:

http://www.moviemuser.co.uk/Features...ar-For-HD.aspx
    TV LG EA980W OLED
    Pioneer BDP-LX91/09FD (multi-region), Pioneer BDP-LX91/09FD (Region B), and Oppo BDP-95 (multi-region)
    Sub - B&W ASW750
    Centre - JBL EC35
    Quote Originally Posted by The Limey View Post
    I agree that this will be a case of wait and see. In the meantime here is another article on the restoration which includes screen caps of old and newly restored footage:

Took a look at those caps and decided to go ahead and pre order it. Should be a treat to watch.
    New widescreen presentation
    The decision to convert the aspect ratio from the original 4:3 to 16:9 was taken after months of tests and reviews. The primary reason for this that for most viewers now own a widescreen TV, so expect programmes to be in this format, and also because with any HD material for broadcast, the broadcasters expect widescreen material. As the aim of the project was to create restored masters (at great expense) for multiple use (ie Blu-ray, DVD and broadcast), there was no option other than going down the 16:9 route.

It was essential that this be done as sensitively as possible. The process of aspect ratio conversion from 4:3 to 16:9 was done by firstly going back to the original materials and then using ‘Pan & Scan’ to ensure that all of the essential picture detail is retained. The panning and scanning process can be notorious if done badly where the screen is basically lazily cropped, losing vital information. With this in mind in this instance each frame was panned and scanned according to strict guidelines following the tests done to ensure that the focus of the picture is always on the most important action so that we retained the quality of the original series.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/World-At-War...f=pd_rhf_p_t_2

An absolute disgrace.
    That just kills it completely for me.
    "The process of aspect ratio conversion from 4:3 to 16:9 was done by firstly going back to the original materials and then using ‘Pan & Scan’ to ensure that all of the essential picture detail is retained."

The mutilation of a classic TV series. 'Essential picture detail' indeed....
    TV LG EA980W OLED
    Sub - B&W ASW750
    Centre - JBL EC35
    It's a really worrying trend, they already did it to Thunderbirds, now this, and almost certainly Space 1999. It would be good if there was some way to make a formal stand and let the studios knows that people who actually buy blu rays of older shows won't buy their products if they are cropped. It's completely reverse logic to assume that people expect vintage shows to be in 16:9 now, no - people expect them to be in their original aspect ratio. That was one of the things Blu Ray was meant to champion!
    I honestly don't think this will be done on Space: 1999.
    we'll see.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spader View Post
    It's a really worrying trend, they already did it to Thunderbirds, now this, and almost certainly Space 1999. It would be good if there was some way to make a formal stand and let the studios knows that people who actually buy blu rays of older shows won't buy their products if they are cropped. It's completely reverse logic to assume that people expect vintage shows to be in 16:9 now, no - people expect them to be in their original aspect ratio. That was one of the things Blu Ray was meant to champion!
    I suppect the Canadian issue will be cropped as well. I am only familar with NA HD broadcasting which airs lots of stuff, even new shows in 4:3 and sometimes modern movies in 4:3 (ugh!).

Are 4:3 made productions in the UK often broadcasted cropped on HD?

I have this on DVD and it is indeed a terrific doc, considering I am a huge WW2 buff. However, maybe it's just me but it looks like those "restored" screen caps actually lose some detail.

Anyway, I don't see an advantage of getting this on blu-ray so I'll stick to the DVDs.
    That just kills it completely for me.
    "The process of aspect ratio conversion from 4:3 to 16:9 was done by firstly going back to the original materials and then using ‘Pan & Scan’ to ensure that all of the essential picture detail is retained."

The mutilation of a classic TV series. 'Essential picture detail' indeed....
    Same here. Cropping is ALWAYS an instant fail for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
    You don't keep friends who use low resolutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by miDnIghtEr View Post
    Sometimes I don't speak right. But still I know what I'm talking about...
    Intel i7 4770k (@4.5Ghz) + CrossFire Gigabyte R9 290x's w/ 4GB video RAM! + 16GB DDR3 RAM (STEAM/Origin: Nealon_Greene)
    Elitist >> mindless peon
    Yamaha 6260 - 7.1 Polks - 2 LLT subs powered by 1000W
    Optoma HD20 with 123" fixed screen for movies
    Quote Originally Posted by Favelle View Post
    Same here. Cropping is ALWAYS an instant fail for me.
    I luckily bought this on DVD from Amazon.com not long ago at a steal of a price and I've been very happy with it. Was considering this blu-ray until I read about the cropping to make it fit 16x9. No way on earth will I settle for any program thats panned and scanned which is one of the main reasons I went the blu-ray route.

You'd think the studios would know by now that cinema aficionados HATE films that are manipulated in this way. Also do not color b/w films.
    Keep classic films alive...buy them on Blu-ray!