Default Need advice on a Blu-ray player for old crt t.v.

I would like to ask a question to one of the more tech savvy folks here. I have an older samsung crt that I use for the kids movies, and would like advice on a Blu-ray player so I can quit buying dvds. My t.v. will do 720p and 1080i. I was wondering if there would be any down converting issues on the Blu-ray disc. I just want all the kid movies to play on whatever player that I buy. I am looking too spend under 200 dollars.
    My Home Theater: Pioneer VSX-1020-k ,7.1 Aperion Audio speaker system, Panasonic TC-P58VT25, Panasonic BDT100, PS3, XBOX360 Elite
    Gamertag KALEL 29
    Now playing: DMC: Devil May Cry
    PS3 ID Kalel29
    Now playing: Ni No Kuni
    most recently watched: Judge Dredd
    Quote Originally Posted by kalel1974 View Post
    I would like to ask a question to one of the more tech savvy folks here. I have an older samsung crt that I use for the kids movies, and would like advice on a Blu-ray player so I can quit buying dvds. My t.v. will do 720p and 1080i. I was wondering if there would be any down converting issues on the Blu-ray disc. I just want all the kid movies to play on whatever player that I buy. I am looking too spend under 200 dollars.
    No down converting issues. My old TV was a CRT rear-projection that did 720p/1080i, and had both component and DVI (HDCP compliant). I fed it 1080i via DVI and the PQ was nice - the PQ isn't going to be as good as 1080p/24, but there's really no down converting to 1080i, just de-interlacing the 1080p source. I tried 720p a few times to compare, and 1080i was clearly better PQ.

And to each their own, but I wouldn't pay $200 for a blu-ray to connect to a 1080i CRT TV these days. If you or the wife are up to facing the Black Friday crowds, Walmart is going to have a $78 Magnavox player this Friday morning.
    Thanks very much for the quik reply. I thought about a cheaper player but I was worried about all the problems I hear about certain movies not playing in all blu-ray players due to profile issues.(2.0 etc... etc...) Since resolution is not a problem you think that the magnavox is a good choice and won't have any profile problems.
    Last edited by kalel1974; 11-25-2009 at 10:57 AM.
    My Home Theater: Pioneer VSX-1020-k ,7.1 Aperion Audio speaker system, Panasonic TC-P58VT25, Panasonic BDT100, PS3, XBOX360 Elite
    Gamertag KALEL 29
    Now playing: DMC: Devil May Cry
    PS3 ID Kalel29
    Now playing: Ni No Kuni
    most recently watched: Judge Dredd
    What about a second PS3 for only $100.00 more?

Otherwise I would stick with a brand name player to ensure you will get timely updates. Or if you really are considering a budget model, check around some of the forums to see how others like them and how good or bad the firmware updates have been.
    Blu-ray Player w/ Harmony Adapter
    Toshiba HD-A32.5
    + Win7 Home Premium HTPC
    Panasonic Plasma TC-P54G10
    Panasonic SA-BX500 Receiver
    SVS 5.1 inc. SVS PB12-NSD Sub
    For the price, I'd probably go with the Panasonic BD-60. Fairly cheap right now and is a good all around player.

Of course, I agree that another PS3 wouldn't be a bad thing
    =228My HT

HT:Marantz SR-8300, Emotiva XPA-3, GR Research A/V-2s x 5, Epik Emprire, Oppo BDP-83SE, URC RC50, Panamax 5100, APC H10, PS3 Slim 120G (500G), PS3 60G(250G, dead)
    That LG BD270 player Amazon has as a God Box deal today for $99.99 would also be a great deal. It's only Profile 1.1, but I don't think you'd want BD Live / internet in the kid's room.