Default How do you unlock Blu-Ray player regions?

Hi

Does anyone know how to unlock all the regions in a Blu-Ray player. I have my eye on Sony's high end 5000 series BD player, but i wont buy it until i know how to unlock all the regions for both standard definition and Blu-Ray.

Can anyone help?
    Quote Originally Posted by JSmith View Post
    Hi

Does anyone know how to unlock all the regions in a Blu-Ray player. I have my eye on Sony's high end 5000 series BD player, but i wont buy it until i know how to unlock all the regions for both standard definition and Blu-Ray.

Can anyone help?
    You don't...

Only a handful of players can be made region free, or region selectable, and the Sony isn't one of them.

For what you want, you will be limited to the Momitsu or a re-branded Momitsu clone. These are the only two I know of that don't require a hardware mod. The Oppo requires an easy to install hardware mod, and there are other players that can be hardware modded, but the mods are very complex and need to be done by a pro.
    LG BH200 (combo player) is no longer in production, but easily "switched" for BD with a simple remote code, and permanently made region free for SD's, as well as a recent Curtes Mathes (which at some point was $99 and the Momitsu the other poster mentioned, can do it. Please note that on some occasions the "extras" on a disc from a region other than your own, may be mastered in PAL (US format is NTSC), and may not play. Check the site below to see if your movie is affected. I've used this site in the past and had no problems with receiving movies that didn't play (before I had the LG players).

You can purchase a different Region Free player, but they're usually $600-900 or so. Only about 2/3 of BD's are actually "locked". So unless you either need to have the movie, regardless of what region it is released in, if not in your own region, or you buy titles that will never be released in your region,it's not necessary to have a region-free player.

I have 2 LG BH200's, and I love it, because I buy some niche titles from Germany and elsewhere. To see if a movie is "locked" or not, visit www.blurayregioncodes.com and click on the region that has the movie of interest. Hope this helps!
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    Digitalbabe's Woman Cave:
    :::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

560+ |600+
    Onkyo 805|A35|A2|XA2|LG BH200|PS3|Oppo Darbee| Hitachi Projector
    Panasonic 42 & 60" Plasma|Paradigm

HD DVD Social Group
    Here is a list of region free kits available that are available:

Multi-Zone Modifications