Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast
    crazzeto is offline Member

Default OPPO BDP-83 Blu-Ray Disc Player

This is a thread rebooting the now defunct conversation in the original thread. I don't have a lot to say at this point other than lets keep it clean and and on topic, we're talking about the Oppo BDP-83 player. All comments are welcome about this player Party on wayne!
    Toshiba 55" 55HT1U LCD (1080p@24fps) w/Tivo HD, Harmony 880
    HDM Players: Toshiba HD-A30, Samsung BD-P2500 (wow! reon!)
    Onkyo TX-605SR, F Polk Monitor 50s bi-amped, C CS1, Yamaha sur & sub
    X-Box 360, Wii, DreamCast, DS
    HDM Count - Hopless
    Wii: 0774-4826-1902, Disney: Guest13971, WB: crazzeto Uni: Locutus4657 Sony: crazzeto

*view pictures of my home theater and movies (out dated)

jg14 is offline Member

I picked mine up in their office earlier this week. I am quite impressed with it so far. A few quirks as with the previous players I've owned from them, but so far it has handled everything I've thrown at it.
    =228My HT

HT:Marantz SR-8300, Emotiva XPA-3, GR Research A/V-2s x 5, Epik Emprire, Oppo BDP-83SE, URC RC50, Panamax 5100, APC H10, PS3 Slim 120G (500G), PS3 60G(250G, dead)

If someone has the oppo-rtunity could they please see if this player offers a source direct where you can output 480P for standard content and 1080P for blu ray without having to manually change the resolution??? I would appreciate it.
    My Home Theater
    Display - 18" Dynex with 2:1 Ultra Contrast
    Audio - Samsung Soundbar W/4" Subwoofer
    Consoles - Super Nintendo, Playstation 1
    Comfort - Rite Aid Folding Lawn Chairs
    **Saving up for Insignia Blu Ray Player **

That would be a useful feature for those customers who prefer the sharpness offered by Reon over the more soft picture offered by anchor bay.
    HDM Count - Hopless
    Wii: 0774-4826-1902, Disney: Guest13971, WB: crazzeto Uni: Locutus4657 Sony: crazzeto

jg14 is offline Member

The manual is online and available to all now on their site. So you're looking for 480i raw over HDMI like the 980 does or 480p? I don't recall seeing anything that would allow different settings for BD vs SD DVD in terms of resolution, but I didn't specifically look for it either.
    =228My HT

HT:Marantz SR-8300, Emotiva XPA-3, GR Research A/V-2s x 5, Epik Emprire, Oppo BDP-83SE, URC RC50, Panamax 5100, APC H10, PS3 Slim 120G (500G), PS3 60G(250G, dead)

source direct wouldn't be different setting for bluray/dvd... it would be the player outputting the native resolution of the encoded video via HDMI. Blurays would typically be 1080P (with few exceptions) DVDs would be 480i
    HDM Count - Hopless

jg14 is offline Member

OK, I understand. Will check tonight.
    =228My HT

That's right, source direct would output SD DVD's at 480i... damn! I guess, the only way to utilize the deinterlacing of the ABT 2010 and still use my Reon is manually change the resolution to 480P when watching SD content.
    My Home Theater

PETMIC is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by GardenVariety View Post
    If someone has the oppo-rtunity could they please see if this player offers a source direct where you can output 480P for standard content and 1080P for blu ray without having to manually change the resolution??? I would appreciate it.
    Unfortunately, what you are seeking cannot be done.

A manuall resolution change is required but the OPPO can make resolution
    changes on the fly via the remote.
    Display: Pioneer PRO-151 60" Elite
    Blu-ray player: OPPO BDP-93
    Processor: Onkyo PR-SC885
    Amplifier: Emotiva IPS-1 150Wx7
    Game Console: Xbox One, PS4
    Speakers: Mythos ST, Mythos Ten, Mythos One

- MSI Z170A X Power Titanium Edition Mother Board
    - I7-6700K
    - Corsair H100i V2 CPU Cooler
    - MSI GTX1080 Sea Hawk X
    - Samsung 1TB SSD
    - GSkill Ripjaw V-Series DDR4 16GB RAM
    - EVGA 850W P2 Power Supply
    - Windows 10 64B
    - Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ATX Case
    - Ben Q 32" BL3200PT 1440P Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by PETMIC View Post
    Unfortunately, what you are seeking cannot be done.

A manuall resolution change is required but the OPPO can make resolution
    changes on the fly via the remote.
    Well that's good, I am sure I can plug the command into my Harmony One pretty easily.
    My Home Theater

DrMaustus is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by crazzeto View Post
    That would be a useful feature for those customers who prefer the sharpness offered by Reon over the more soft picture offered by anchor bay.
    Man, I don't think I've seen a post from you were you don't talk about your beloved Reon. I need to find a 1500 somewhere to see what all the fuss is about.

Anyway, would love to get one of these players, but the only place I can buy it now has it for pre-order at $638!

http://www.onlybestrated.com/oppo-bd...yer-p-227.html

So, to anyone out there who has tried one, is it worth it? I have a PS3 and BH200 for my Blu-ray playing duties. I don't have a big library of DVDs and I don't have any SACD discs or DVD Audio discs. The MKV support sounds cool, but I wonder if it's as good as my Popcorn Hour NMT. Has anyone tried out the MKV side of things?
    Epson Home Cinema 1080 UB, Panasonic TH-P50Z700 1080P plasma, Dali Ikon 6 fronts, Dali Ikon Vokal 2 center, 4 Dali Ikon on-walls, Velodyne DLS-4000R sub, Onkyo TX-SR705, LG BH200 (x2), 40 GB PS3

typ44q is offline Member

well I just got my player and could not resist unboxing it and setting it up in my office (I have a 42" pioneer plasma in my office that I connected it to) Luckily I also picked up V for vendetta at lunch today so I had something to watch

First off the packaging on this thing is really, really nice. It reminds me of how apple packs their stuff. great attention to detail!

very good looking player, I really like the brushed anodized finish. boot up time is very fast.
    I really did not do much other than skip around on the disk some (which is very fast and smooth compared to my bd35)

I am getting ready to go home in a few minutes and set up the player and run through the included spears and munsil disk and will report back after that

Quote Originally Posted by DrMaustus View Post
    Man, I don't think I've seen a post from you were you don't talk about your beloved Reon. I need to find a 1500 somewhere to see what all the fuss is about.

Anyway, would love to get one of these players, but the only place I can buy it now has it for pre-order at $638!

So, to anyone out there who has tried one, is it worth it? I have a PS3 and BH200 for my Blu-ray playing duties. I don't have a big library of DVDs and I don't have any SACD discs or DVD Audio discs. The MKV support sounds cool, but I wonder if it's as good as my Popcorn Hour NMT. Has anyone tried out the MKV side of things?
    $638 is what the thing will cost in Canada because of the 20 percent exchange rate.

Quote Originally Posted by DrMaustus View Post

I do like reon, as far as the debate between anchor bay and Relta I can't really comment other than I know there are people who very strongly prefer Relta over Anchor bay, and vice versa of course. For those customers that want a player with all the capabilities of this Oppo but don't want to use the upscaling, that would have been a good feature. But it's not supported so oh well... Anyway I honestly can't imagine why you would buy this player and not take advantage of the upscaling, Oppo has an excellent reputation in the field... If I had the disposable income and didn't already have a 2500 I think this Oppo would be at the top of my list.

And then you'd have me posting in every forum about how awesome the anchorbay upscaling is
    HDM Count - Hopless

DrMaustus is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCanuck View Post
    $638 is what the thing will cost in Canada because of the 20 percent exchange rate.
    Yeah, the price is reasonable considering the $500 MSRP in the US.

I'm interested in hearing people's thoughts on whether it's worth it or not for someone like me (not many DVDs, no SACDs, etc.).
    Epson Home Cinema 1080 UB, Panasonic TH-P50Z700 1080P plasma, Dali Ikon 6 fronts, Dali Ikon Vokal 2 center, 4 Dali Ikon on-walls, Velodyne DLS-4000R sub, Onkyo TX-SR705, LG BH200 (x2), 40 GB PS3

Page 1 of 57 1231151 ... LastLast