Page 1 of 30 1 2 3 11 ... Last>>
    The Momitsu BDP-899 sold by HKFlix is multi-region blu-ray and region free DVD by entering a code via the remote control.

Link to the player:
    http://www.hkflix.com/hardware/xq/as...qx/details.htm

Link to the player's User Manual PDF file:
    http://www.hkflix.com/firmware/momit...899_manual.pdf

Link to the DVDbeaver review:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/hardwa...su_bdp-899.htm

As you know from our conversation elsewhere, I have gone ahead and ordered one of these players. If the PQ and AQ are of the same high standard as Momitsu's DVD players, then this should be a cracking Blu-ray player. Obviously I will test the player after it arrives and post my opinions of it.

As to there being a link with LG, I do not think that you can discount the possibility. In looks there are very definite similarities. Add to that both companies are Korean, then the possibility that they have shared/ cross licensed technology is a strong one....

Mine arrived yesterday and is now up and running. To cut a long story short, it follows in the tradition of Momitsu's DVD players. Build quality could be better but the business end is superb. It has better DVD upconversion than my Panasonic DMP BD35 and edges in front of the Panny very slightly on BD playback.
    The Region Free codes are remote operated and are very easy to use:

973501 is Region free DVD and playback of Region A Blu-rays
    973502 is Region Free and playback of Region B Blu-rays
    973503 is Region Free and playback of Region C Blu-rays

I am still stunned at just how good this player is and it is great to see that Momitsu have carried their tradition of great playback onto this their first BD player. Definitely well worth a look, especially at this price.
    Last edited by Cochise; 03-26-2010 at 02:11 PM. Reason: get rid of banned OP's first post
    Limey,

I'm thinking of getting the Sony BDP S350 for my blu stand alone, how would you compare? Cause if this Momitsu is everything people are saying it's cracked up to be, I might wait for a price drop if I can sell my BH200.
    Samsung LN-T4069F 40" 120Hz HDTV
    Pioneer VSX-820K
    Fronts: Yamaha NS-A738 x 2
    Center: Yamaha NS-AC40X
    Rears: Klipsch KSP-S6 x2
    (<100) - Toshiba XA2 - (37) - Panasonic DMP BD65P-K
    I learned everything I needed to know frm G.I. Joe!
    I have owned the Sony BDPs S300 and S500 but I have no experience of the BDP S350.
    The build quality on the Sony will be better than that of the Momitsu on both the player and remote, I would think. However, reviewers tend to slightly nudge the DMP BD35 ahead of the BDP S350. On the strength of what I have seen of the Momitsu vs the DMP BD35, it will probably beat the Sony on upconversion, and will probably have a very slight edge on picture (this is pure opinion though - I have not tested the BDP S350).

Basically it is a Momitsu - great playback and an easy to use multi region facility but coupled with so so build quality. That said I think that the build quality of the BDP-899 is an improvement on that of the Momitsu's DVD players.
    I think I'll go with a DMP. Although I like what I've read about Momitsu, it seems it's still not solid enough to justify $350 when I can get a DMP for about $200. I don't really need analog 7.1 as I will be bitstreaming to a HD receiver when I can get one. Thanks guys I appreciate all the help.
    Samsung LN-T4069F 40" 120Hz HDTV
    Pioneer VSX-820K
    Fronts: Yamaha NS-A738 x 2
    Center: Yamaha NS-AC40X
    Rears: Klipsch KSP-S6 x2
    (<100) - Toshiba XA2 - (37) - Panasonic DMP BD65P-K
    I learned everything I needed to know frm G.I. Joe!
    No problems with DTS-MA or any other decoding?

Does it play AVC-HD discs? Or burned BD's?
    wow!
    an actual legitimate region free bd player
    (i.e. no mod kit needed)
    AWESOME, AWESOME news!
    but yeah let's hear more about bitstreaming, etc. etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalFreakNYC View Post
    They were very highly regarded for region-free DVD players. I had one a long time ago...
    I don't recall Momitsu's DVD players being all that good at DVD upconversion. They use pretty crappy flag-reading deinterlacing chips.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalFreakNYC View Post
    No problems with DTS-MA or any other decoding?

Does it play AVC-HD discs? Or burned BD's?

Bitstreaming of both Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master is superb via my Onkyo 605, courtesy of the Momitsu BDP-899.

I have not tried either of the above mentioned disc types but they are not on the player's 'Can't Play, Won't Play' list....
    Wow. Very cool.

Is there a bitrate meter?

Btw...how does the remote hack work, exactly? And how did you find out how to do it?
    you just go to the right menu option, enter the specific numbers into the remote for the specific region, and hit enter.
    that's all there is to it.
    and if you want to play another region, you just do the same thing with the other specific number.
    simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
    you just go to the right menu option, enter the specific numbers into the remote for the specific region, and hit enter.
    that's all there is to it.
    and if you want to play another region, you just do the same thing with the other specific number.
    simple as that.
    Even better is that there is no menu involved. Just switch the player on, make sure that there is no disc inside, and simply input the code on the remote for the specific Blu-ray Region that you want. Then press Enter. It really is that simple.

As to where did I get the info for the codes? hkflix.com enclose a leaflet with the player that gives a very full explanation of the codes and how to use them. The same leaflet gives you a very helpful guide in how to change the player's menus from Japanese to English.
    Does it internally decode DTS-HD (pass through PCM), or only bitstream it?
    It will output mixed digital audio in two channel PCM, 5.1 PCM, and 7.1 PCM via HDMI, in addition to bitstreaming the HD audio codecs.
    is it a 2.0 player?
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
    is it a 2.0 player?
    It most certainly is - the player enjoys Bonus View/BD Live