Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    HDTV1080P is offline Member

Default Sony BDP-S5000ES Blu-ray Player (March 2009 Home Theater Magazine review)

Sony BDP-S5000ES Blu-ray Player
    (March 2009 Home Theater Magazine review, pages 64-66)

Kris Deering has reviewed the Sony BDP-S5000ES Blu-ray Player in the March 2009 Home Theater magazine on pages 64-66. The Panasonic DMP-BD55 and DMP-BD35 has a better picture quality with 1080I BLU-RAY discs since the video processor is better in the Panasonic players compared to the Sony BDP-S5000ES. Also the Panasonic players mentioned above have faster loading times compared to the Sony BDP-S5000ES. Another disappointment is the Sony BDP-S5000ES lacks 1 GB of built in memory and requires an external 1GB of memory to be added to the memory slot. At least Sony does throw in a free 1GB external Micro Vault flash drive for BD-LIVE bonus material. The Sony BDP-S5000ES list price is $2,000.

Some word for word quotes from the review that are mainly negative

"Since the BDP-S5000ES is BD-Live compliant, it includes a LAN connection for Internet connectivity. To meet the hard-ware spec's 1-gigabyte local storage requirement, Sony includes an external memory port and a 1-GB Sony Micro Vault flash drive with the player. The memory port only works with Micro Vault drives, so if you wish to bump up your BD-Live storage capacity, you'll need to stick with Sony." "This is far more expensive than generic USB thumb drives, and I'm hard-pressed to see how this approach benefits the user."

"At this point, I suspected that the BDP-S5000ES would incorporate a name-brand video-processing solution, and I was eager to test the player to confirm this. The BDP-S350 (HT, November 2008) was Sony's first Blu-ray player to include HD deinterlacing, although it was limited to 3:2-based material. Unfortunately, the BDP-S5000ES takes a step back in this department. With are standard 1080i HD deinterlacing tests, the BDP-S5000ES didn't pass our 3:2 - or 2:2 based deinterlacing tests. This is surprising at this price point, since there are a number of lower-end players that have no problems with these tests at all. There are only a few 1080i-encoded Blu-ray Disc out there, but it's still important for a player to offer the right video processing to maximize video performance with all discs. Considering the fact that Sony Music releases the majority of 1080i content on the Blu-ray market, it's even more baffling that this player doesn't offer premium-quality video processing."

"I was disappointed by the BDP-S5000ES video processing performance with our standard tests. High-end models from Denon and Pioneer Elite incorporate state-of the-art processing, and even low-priced designs from Panasonic and other manufactures offer excellent performance and pass our HD video-processing tests. Hopefully, this is something that Sony will address with future ES models. The video performance here is comparable to standard Sony Blu-ray players that are available for less."

"Disc loading times and navigation have also been a contentious issue with Blu-ray players. It almost like the more expensive the player is, the slower it gets. The BDP-S5000ES is a breath of fresh air for its price point, but it still has a lot of room for improvement. Load times were in line with the BDP-S350 and in the middle of the pack of recently tested players when it came to overall speed." "I just wish Sony had made the BDP-S5000ES's load times more similar to the PS3's, since there are now a couple of standalone Blu-ray players at this level - or even faster."

Some word for word positive quotes from the review

"The BDP-S5000ES is a tank when it comes to build quality. Sony didn't skimp a bit here. The chassis has a very upscale look and feel, with a machined front face and gold-plated reinforced connectors on the back. All the connectors have a solid feel and aren't the cheap stamped variety you'll find on most budget players."

"The Sony features a 7.1-channel analog output plus a separate two-channel analog output."

"The BDP-S5000ES did a fine job with BD-Live playback. I tested it with several Sony and Universal titles and didn't experience any glitches."

Conclusion

"I'm a bit on the fence when it comes to Sony's new flagship design. The build quality is impeccable and the player does a superb job with DVD and Blu-ray playback at 1080p/24. With full interactivity and advanced audio covered, this is a player that will serve the consumer's basic needs for a long time. And the step-up CD playback performance over analog is commendable. However, at this price point, I think consumers should expect more cutting-edge features like high-end HD video processing and wireless connectivity."

http://hometheatermag.com/discplayers/sony_bdp-s5000es_blu-ray_player/index.html
    Last edited by HDTV1080P; 03-05-2009 at 12:29 PM. Reason: UPDATED WITH WEBLINK

However, at this price point, I think consumers should expect more cutting-edge features like high-end HD video processing and wireless connectivity.
    I don't think anybody could disagree with that at a $2,000 MSRP.

Chris

taygan315 is offline Member

$2,000 for a sub par, at best, blu player???!!!?? PLEAAAASSSEE! Sony sounds like they had too much drink with their dinner pricing this one,lol.
    My mancave:

Display - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
    Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590, Sony PS3 320GB
    Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd), MacBook Pro 17" i5 750GB

Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)

"When your winning, fight like your losing"

Maxx_75 is offline Runner !

This is a player that has been out awhile. I think that it would be fair to wait for the next ES player before passing judgement. That tower thing they still sell is lacking features and is grossly overpriced too but no one is ripping on it.

With that being said I dont see the performence just worth the 300-2000 jump.

vinnie97 is offline Member

Sony can stick it.

crazzeto is offline Member

Wow, dissapointing for the price! Sounds like my BD-P2500 owns it.
    Toshiba 55" 55HT1U LCD (1080p@24fps) w/Tivo HD, Harmony 880
    HDM Players: Toshiba HD-A30, Samsung BD-P2500 (wow! reon!)
    Onkyo TX-605SR, F Polk Monitor 50s bi-amped, C CS1, Yamaha sur & sub
    X-Box 360, Wii, DreamCast, DS
    HDM Count - Hopless
    Wii: 0774-4826-1902, Disney: Guest13971, WB: crazzeto Uni: Locutus4657 Sony: crazzeto

*view pictures of my home theater and movies (out dated)

halcro 1 is offline Member

Ive Demoed this player for a week and compared to a Panny 35 and a PS3 the ES 5000 beat hands down ..... This shows how much of a crap HT mag is .. What kind of display was being used I know for a face some reviewers use a 32 LCD this is a fact and a ES 5000 can be had for 1400 ...and in all the comparisons in the Avs forums say that the ES is better than the Denon ..... More rubbish from a second class publication....
    Pre-Pro Halcro SSP-100 (200) with MPCM over HDMI
    Amp Halcro MC-5
    Speakers Main Acoustic Zen adagio, Center Audes Grand Sentral, Rear Audes Blues
    Players Oppo BDP-83. EAD Theatervision P
    Cables IC Audience AU 24 All Balanced, Speaker Acoustic Zen Satori
    Sub Monitor FB210
    Power Conditioner Running Spring Audio Haley W/Cardas Golden Reference Power Cable
    Meridian G08 CD player
    Sony KDS-60A3000 Display
    Harmony 1000 Remote

PETMIC is offline Member

It doesn't sound like a very favorable review.

I read some feedback from owners at AVS who seemed
    to speak highly of it.

I think Kris summed it up pretty nicely in his conclusion.

Conclusion
    "I'm a bit on the fence when it comes to Sony's new flagship design. The build quality is impeccable and the player does a superb job with DVD and Blu-ray playback at 1080p/24. With full interactivity and advanced audio covered, this is a player that will serve the consumer's basic needs for a long time. And the step-up CD playback performance over analog is commendable. However, at this price point, I think consumers should expect more cutting-edge features like high-end HD video processing and wireless connectivity."

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by halcro 1 View Post
    Ive Demoed this player for a week and compared to a Panny 35 and a PS3 the ES 5000 beat hands down ..... This shows how much of a crap HT mag is .. What kind of display was being used I know for a face some reviewers use a 32 LCD this is a fact and a ES 5000 can be had for 1400 ...and in all the comparisons in the Avs forums say that the ES is better than the Denon .....
    Better in what way? Your argument isn't particulary compelling.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    Better in what way? Your argument isn't particulary compelling.
    Yeah, particularly given the price tag... Why doesn't it at least have reon, for this much coin i would say that's a bare minimum. For as much money as they're spending, even though they give you a memory card why isn't like 4GB flash built into the unit?
    HDM Count - Hopless
    Wii: 0774-4826-1902, Disney: Guest13971, WB: crazzeto Uni: Locutus4657 Sony: crazzeto

halcro 1 is offline Member

The audio is better more 3D and the PQ is more filmlike in Blu-rays .. and for a 2 channel CD playback its very good ... is it worth 2k mmmm maybe if you have a big display 60-PJ If 50 and under no its not worth it .. The only reason I havent pulled the trigger is the new Pioneer is supposed to be fantastic esp. on DVD movies and even better audio ... But the audio on the ES5000 BDP and CD is Excellent..
    Pre-Pro Halcro SSP-100 (200) with MPCM over HDMI
    Amp Halcro MC-5
    Speakers Main Acoustic Zen adagio, Center Audes Grand Sentral, Rear Audes Blues
    Players Oppo BDP-83. EAD Theatervision P
    Cables IC Audience AU 24 All Balanced, Speaker Acoustic Zen Satori
    Sub Monitor FB210
    Power Conditioner Running Spring Audio Haley W/Cardas Golden Reference Power Cable
    Meridian G08 CD player
    Sony KDS-60A3000 Display
    Harmony 1000 Remote

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Kris Deering has been reviewing disc players for many years. His DVD player reviews at Secrets of Home Theater were the standard bearer by which all DVD player reviews were measured. He knows what to look for in a good unit, and I trust his objective measurements over a vague "PQ is more filmlike" comment from an anonymous forum poster any day of the week.

As for CD playback, that's an irrelevant concern if you use a digital connection to your receiver. The receiver does all the decoding and amplifying in that case, not the disc player.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

yeah I've always been troubled by comments that one player bitstreams better quality audio than another player. It simply doesn't make sense what so ever (same with CDA), I usually don't argue too much since people are usually pretty well convinced of their beliefs and I'm certainly not going to change them. Anyway, for anyone that truely does beleive this, is there some technical justification/reason behind it?
    HDM Count - Hopless

Rich86 is offline Member

the more I read about players and watch titles on my player - the better I like my S350 purchase for $160 total out the door . . .
    Sony BDP-S1000ES + Toshiba HD-A35
    Sony 1080p LED/LCD + Yamaha RX-V3900 + M&K Speakers & Subs

Quote Originally Posted by halcro 1 View Post
    Ive Demoed this player for a week and compared to a Panny 35 and a PS3 the ES 5000 beat hands down ..... This shows how much of a crap HT mag is .. What kind of display was being used I know for a face some reviewers use a 32 LCD this is a fact and a ES 5000 can be had for 1400 ...and in all the comparisons in the Avs forums say that the ES is better than the Denon ..... More rubbish from a second class publication....
    I believe Kris is impartial and has the equipment to do a good objective review of player performance. I have been reading their DVD player reviews for years and trust the site as among the best for that purpose.

Chris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast