Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last>>

Unhappy My PS3's Optical Drive Died. I'm Bummed.

I guess this isn't the first time this kinda thing has happened, as far as I can tell, but it seems pretty rare so I figured I'd tell my story so the rest of you can be happy that it happened to me and not you. You're that much safer.

For the record, a 40gb PS3 purchased last Black Friday (so still under warranty for almost two more months - phew!).

I'm getting old. I don't play games much, though I bought a few. I spend more time buying movies then watching them, it seems. I figure I've played about 2hrs worth of games and watched 20 hours worth of movies since I've had it. I was just starting to use it more often. So it was pretty lightly used! Especially compared to the wear & tear I expect the average kid puts on one of these things.

The OD died with no warning, in the middle of a movie. One second working fine; the next second - totally dead. It no longer recognizes BD's, games, DVDs, or CDs. But it has no trouble ejecting discs or using the browser or media server features.

It wasn't dropped, nothing hit or fell on it (it's kept nice and safe in a sturdy wood glass-doored entertainment center -- which is only opened only during use for ventilation purposes).

Guess I just got a defective one.

Anyone know how I might not get a refurb unit back? I'd feel a bit cheated to get one some gamer kid banged up and put a few thousand hours on.

Its bad enough I have to re-program the thing to my liking, re-upload all my media, and probably have to go through the hastle of testing all the bluetooth / wifi / ports on the "new" unit since I won't have long to gripe if this one's messed up.

And I won't be able to watch IronMan tomorrow - or for the next couple/few weeks it seems; when I ordered the damn thing months ago.

Ugh.
    Click here for the iCollectMedia list of my collection or click here for the comprehensive Blu-ray.com version (which includes DVR'd movies downloaded).

Click here to learn how to add "HighDefDigest" search to your browser's search engines bar!
    Oh man I feel for you...somebody else posted a similar situation yesterday-and there were several people in that thread posting the exact same problem...which is making me believe that it is not as rare as you think. I would be so pissed if my PS3 crapped out on me...Well good luck and hopefully you will be watching Iron Man sooner then you think!
    Dan
    "Your Angels speak with jilted Tongues."
    It's not as rare as you might think. There were several threads at Blu-ray.com about the 40 gigs in particular made in sept 07 build dates were having this problems. the threads were of course locked really fast for F.U.D. about the PS3

This very reason was why I bought mine at Costco being that game systems still fall under their unlimited return policy (I contacted Costco corporate to make sure on that)
    My Trade/Sale/Want Thread

for Blu-Ray and DVD Custom Covers
    Click Here
    my 60gb's drive won't load or eject discs anymore. Anyone know if I can just buy the drive itself. It was easy to open the case and take out the drive to inspect it. I assume it is the same to just install a new one. The only problem is, I think I have to get a 60gb compatable one, right? How do I know which one is the same? Will Sony fix and replace it for me. Its the original, so it is out of warranty. Anyone know cost? Any info is appreciated.
    Contact Sony and you'll get a quote at the very least for the repairs. And no, they won't sell you the drives separately.

Quote Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
    It's not as rare as you might think. There were several threads at Blu-ray.com about the 40 gigs in particular made in sept 07 build dates were having this problems. the threads were of course locked really fast for F.U.D. about the PS3
    Never underestimate the power of fanboyism, as sad as it sounds. It spreads fast, leaving the truthful ones in a sea of stupidity with the others.

Firmware malfunctions however do happen more often, but even that can get exaggerated online.
    I'm fairly new to the PS3 scene (I bought the Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle)

Is this problem something to do with widespread faulty optical drives or some bad chips?
    Do I have to worry about my 80GB PS3 I just paid $500 on?
    Random, like any piece of electronics with a normal defect rate. I wouldn't worry about it much, but I would recommend upgrading firmware online instead of the system's own connection to the network (downloading the firmware online then using a USB drive to transfer it).

I've had a 20GB core unit since launch, and I haven't had any problems with the drive. Couple of close calls with the firmware update though.
    Happens to any optical drive. In the now close to 25 years of using optical drives... I've had about 1 in 20 fail on me early (less than 3 years of use).

-comix
    Display: Epson HC 6100 Proj/106" Da-Lite High Power screen or Panasonic 50" Plasma
    Receiver & Speakers : Yamaha AVR HTR-5940 / Boston Acoustic LCR DSi495 & Rears DSi455 (In-Ceiling)
    Sources: Toshiba HD-A3 (86 titles), Panasonic BD655AK (240 titles), Sage TV HD HTPC (8TB), Comcast w/crappy HD, SD-DVD ~950
    Quote Originally Posted by comixguru View Post
    Happens to any optical drive. In the now close to 25 years of using optical drives... I've had about 1 in 20 fail on me early (less than 3 years of use).
    IMHO, think dust is responsible for a lot of optical drive problems in general. I don't know about the PS3, but a lot of PC cases are designed for negative pressure - that is, you have an exhaust fan in the back, another exhaust fan for the power supply, and air being sucked in through grilles in the front. Problem is, air (and therefore dust) also get sucked in through every other crack and crevice, including any gaps around the optical drive tray. Some drives are well sealed and/or designed to channel the air away from the pickup heads, but I've had other drives where I could run my finger around the open tray and see it leave a trail in the dust.

The PS3 uses a slot-load drive, of course, and I believe it has a sort of foam gasket that flexes open when a disc passes through (as most slot loaders do), but it could be that some of these are faulty or wear out after a while, letting air in. It depends on whether the drive is exposed to negative pressure. All pure speculation of course, so take this with a grain of salt.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSX2 View Post
    Contact Sony and you'll get a quote at the very least for the repairs. And no, they won't sell you the drives separately.
    Not Sony but you can get Sony's Blu-Ray laser and replace it yourself.

This is a common problem. Most common thing is, it stops playing BD. CDs and DVDs however, are still readable.

You can get the drive here: http://www.evolucion2000.com/playsta...al-blu-ray.htm

Here are some youtube videos on how to replace it:
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBElsmpEQ58
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNR81SweGwI

It looks really easy, and if you are scared to open your PS3, just get the drive and take it to any place where they fix broken videogame consoles. In the same day you'll be playing again.
    for - 247 movies / 8 concerts / some TV shows...
    for - 9 movies
    Also gaming on PS4 & Wii U!
    Sony 46" EdgeLED HDTV ~ Looking forward to a 3D projector upgrade
    Onkyo TX-SR606 w/ Elemental Designs front speakers & sub + Polk rears
    Glad you are covered under your warranty OP. My PS3 has played about 200 BD and DVD movies along with a number of games and I have had no issues at all (purchased a 60GB model in early July 2007).

For those of you out of warranty I believe Sony has a set $150 fee to fix broken PS3's. If my PS3 died I would probably go this route.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arturo Lugo View Post
    Not Sony but you can get Sony's Blu-Ray laser and replace it yourself.

This is a common problem. Most common thing is, it stops playing BD. CDs and DVDs however, are still readable.

You can get the drive here: http://www.evolucion2000.com/playsta...al-blu-ray.htm

Here are some youtube videos on how to replace it:
    Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBElsmpEQ58
    Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNR81SweGwI

It looks really easy, and if you are scared to open your PS3, just get the drive and take it to any place where they fix broken videogame consoles. In the same day you'll be playing again.
    Ooh, I did not know that. Thanks.
    I wish they'd let me fix it myself (under warranty). I'd prefer to replace the OD drive as said and keep the rest of my unit intact. It might be irrational, but I don't want "someone else's" PS3. I want mine, or a new one.
    Click here for the iCollectMedia list of my collection or click here for the comprehensive Blu-ray.com version (which includes DVR'd movies downloaded).

Click here to learn how to add "HighDefDigest" search to your browser's search engines bar!
    OOPS - Bad form of me not updating this thread sooner.

I must say, after all is said and done, "Bravo, Sony!"

To my great surprise, the PS3 that was very promptly returned to me on the 9th of October (when I had only received the empty shipping box from them on the 2nd) was MY OWN PS3. I certainly didn't expect them to actually read my note begging for the repair of my own PS3 -- but evidently they did.

I'm very happy, and grateful, not to have received someone else's refurbished unit. I honestly didn't think they would do that - especially after I got the notice from UPS that a unit was on its way only a day or so after they received mine.

Kinda makes me wish I'd skipped the step of formatting the hard drive, though. Doh!

Thanks, Sony!

To second your post, I also sent in my original 60gb to Sony and they came back with the goods. I got the same unit back with a new cover on it too!!