Go Back   High-Def Digest Forums > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion
Reload this Page What Audio Receiver would you recommend to get the best sound for Blu-ray?

Blu-ray What Audio Receiver would you recommend to get the best sound for Blu-ray?

I was thinking about getting the Onkyo TX-SR606B for my Playstation 3 to get the Blu-Ray audio. I feel like i am missing the total Blu-ray experience. Is this the one to recommend?
    That is a very nice one, I have one.

However, just so you know that since the PS3 does all the decoding, you don't need the 606's (or any 605 and up or newer) abilites to do the audio decoding of the advance audio.

I had a Onkyo 604 for my PS3 and it worked great! 604 just took the HDMI in from the PS3 and displayed MulitCh on the display since the PS3 was just sending out PCM from the decoded audio.

But, who knows, down the road you may have a standalone player and the 606 will be a bit more capable of handling changes and additions since it has 4 HDMI inputs.

You might also be able to find some good deals on the previous generation 605's and 705, 805. 705 and 805 add some nice features (THX cert to name 1).

Yamaha is also a well liked model here and I was up in the air when I upgraded. I can't remember the model number, 661 or 663 that everyone seems to really like.
    whats your budget? The cheapest "new" receiver would be the Sony STR-DG720
    Only caveat I have with Sony's is it seems to be picky with TV's. I had a sony str-dg810 but it just would not work with my older DVI only TV in our second home theater setup, where our PS3 is. Eventhough the TV was HDCP compliant, the sony had issues with it.

Also, if you like to listen to music, Entry level sony's just have a cold sound to me. Onkyo and Yamaha's have a warmer sound.
    My budget is around $600.00. I want to get something that will do Blu-ray some justice. How do you get lossless audio on the PS3?
    Pioneer 1018, got mine yesterday, dont have a Blu-Ray player yet so its still sitting in the box. Can be picked up from Big Blue with 10 or 12% off coupon also.
    Check this out. The 705 (and above) will matrix a 5.1 LPCM signal to 7.1.
    Living room: Sony KDS-60A3000 LCoS rear projection (1080p/24 120Hz) | Onkyo TX-SR705 A/V receiver | Energy "Take Classic" + "Act 1" 6.1 speaker system | Sony BDP-S580 BD player | Onkyo DVSP405 upscaling DVD player (1080p) | DirecTV HR21-700 | Logitech Harmony One

Bedroom: Sanyo DP32648 | Sony HT-CT100 sound bar | Sony BDP-480 BD player | DirecTV HR23-700 | Logitech Harmony 700
    Quote Originally Posted by Yog-Sothoth View Post
    Check this out. The 705 (and above) will matrix a 5.1 LPCM signal to 7.1.
    Shit if i had not just droped 800 onmy Yammy i would have picked this up
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxdaddy View Post
    My budget is around $600.00. I want to get something that will do Blu-ray some justice. How do you get lossless audio on the PS3?
    You set the ps3 to decode the lossless, that gets passed along on hdmi to the receiver as pcm, which is why you don't need a receiver that can do the decoding if you're going to stick with a ps3.
    Panasonic TC-P50G25
    Algolith Flea
    DVDO Edge
    Toshiba A35 & Onkyo 805
    Denon 1610 & Pioneer 51fd
    Denon 1909 & Pioneer 1120 AVR's
    Elemental Designs 7.1
    HTPC

"Best" version of BD's with multiple releases
    You just missed it man Circuit City clearanced Denon 988. Its the same thing as a 2808 I got one for a grand total of $620. Might be worth checking a CC to see if they have any left but I see they are off the website today.
    You can spend a lot less and get what I got....the Onkyo TX-SR576. It doesn't do on-board lossless audio decoding but it can handle multi-channel PCM....which is what the PS3 would output. I got mine for $286.00 on amazon. it doesn't do any fancy video upconversion but I've had no problems with it for the fews days I've had it.
    3.5 inch b/w tv with FIOS, Blu-ray and HDDVD....you think I'm kidding.[/SIZE]
    " if i had not just droped 800 onmy Yammy i would have picked this up"

Your Yamaha is a better machine than this Onkyo, so don't worry about this...

I also wouldn't recommend Sony, as they're known for not being the best when it comes to audio. Onkyo, Yamaha and Pioneer are better choices. Denon is really good, but usually kind of pricey. You can go to Best Buy and look at the Denon 788 or 888 and see what you think of them. They don't decode the new codecs, but with the PS3, that shouldn't be a problem.