Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Arkadin is offline Member

Default Loud Popping Sound When Bitstreaming DTS-MA SOLVED!

This issue has been bothering many people but it is NOT a bd player issue. It is instead a receiver issue. Certain Yamaha and Onkyo receivers (as well as a few others) are at fault due to a chip issue. Read these threads carefully for full information.

www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1008620

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=43286

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1016297

EDIT: found another thread at another forum on the "bitstream bomb"

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?p=720274
    Last edited by Arkadin; 06-20-2008 at 04:26 PM.

doctornd is offline Founding Member

Arrow

Arkadin, thanks for this post. I was a bit disheartened to see that this post feel through the cracks because I am sure there are tons of people experiencing the "bomb" when bitstreaming DTSHDMA titles through their Onkyo receivers.

Apparently there is a fix. Somewhere in the thread there is a link to the fixes for upgrading Onkyo/Integra AV receiver firmwares:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1016297
    Last edited by doctornd; 04-27-2008 at 01:08 PM.
    Sony 60" SXRD XBR2
    Integra DPS 6.5...DTC 9.4...Anthem PVA-5...Onkyo TX-SR805...Sony RDR-HX715
    Panasonic DMP-BD30K...Toshiba HD-A35...Sony PS3...Xbox360 Elite
    Audioquest Type 8 (x5) Center + BiAMP Front
    Paradigm Monitor Series 5.0 + PW-2100 0.1

D Rock is offline Member

I got a loud popping sound from any movie whether it's DTS or Dolby. Will the firmware update correct all popping issues or just the DTS-HD MA issue?

I bought the 605 last May and it's been sitting in the box since Onkyo at the time didn't acknowledge the issue. I bought a second one and it works just fine but if a firmware update would fix the original receiver I could still use it in another room.

javajake is offline Member

I have an 805 with a .03 firmware update... Looks like perhaps this self upgrade path may not work for me...

I looked up "Authorized Dealers/Service Centers" on Onkyo's site, and the only one near me is Circuit City...

Has anyone tried this through a B&M store?

Aziz is offline Member

My upgrade went pretty smooth on my 805 once I understood I needed to save the software as an image to the CD. (the instructions failed to mention this). Also I never received the "Complete" message at the end but it looks like no one else is either.

I've never heard the DTS-MA Bomb but plan on buying The Orphanage this weekend and understand that's one of the titles that has the problem.

I'd doubt CC would perform the upgrade at their store, they'd probably ship it back to Onkyo for the upgrade, you'd probably be without your receiver for several weeks. That'd kind of suck.

I think I'd find out if they were going to ship it to the factory, if they were I'd go ahead and try the upgrade myself. If it locks up, it's going back anyway, if it doesn't then you saved yourself a lot of time and money. (but if it goes bad I didn't say this)

Quote Originally Posted by Aziz View Post
    My upgrade went pretty smooth on my 805 once I understood I needed to save the software as an image to the CD. (the instructions failed to mention this). Also I never received the "Complete" message at the end but it looks like no one else is either.

I've never heard the DTS-MA Bomb but plan on buying The Orphanage this weekend and understand that's one of the titles that has the problem.

I'd doubt CC would perform the upgrade at their store, they'd probably ship it back to Onkyo for the upgrade, you'd probably be without your receiver for several weeks. That'd kind of suck.

I think I'd find out if they were going to ship it to the factory, if they were I'd go ahead and try the upgrade myself. If it locks up, it's going back anyway, if it doesn't then you saved yourself a lot of time and money. (but if it goes bad I didn't say this)
    I'm running PS3 right now, so the Popping isn't an issue for me... If it didn't mean possibly putting my reciever out of commission for several weeks, I'd try it... But, as it is, I'll wait til I have a more compelling reason to update.

mrspeakers is offline analog/digital audio expert

I wanted to use a service center to be safe, but they too told me three weeks. Given that this is a one hour software fix, if that, I was pissed.

It's two steps to update the Onkyo/Integra products:

1) Create a CD and bitstream to the Opt1 input for the DSP card update (fix for the DTS kabooms)

2) Buy a USB/Serial adaptor and use stone-age 38kbps to update the main firmware

I'm told the new firmware includes more Reon features, but I haven't found them yet...

Audio switching is a bit better, though.
    Epson Pro 1080UB projector
    106" Elite Expo white wall-mount screen
    Integra 9.8 Surround Processor
    Theta Dreadnaught Amp (5 channel)
    AudioSource One stereo amp (rear surrounds)
    Panasonic BD30
    Toshiba XA2
    My own LRC speakers and sub + 4 PSB 50 surrounds
    AppleTV and Mac Mini with 1.5TB RAID for music/visualizer/photos

Cochise is offline Special Member

Here's a list of reported titles causing this issue:
    **note** There are certainly other titles that have not been discovered yet.
    -1408 (BD import)
    -Golden Compass (review copy)
    -The Fly (BD) time-13:00
    -Chronos (BD) time-38:52
    -Fantastic Four (BD) time-4:22
    -Hannibal Rising (HD DVD)
    -Close Encounters of the Third Kind (BD)
    -Eagles Fairwell Concert (HD DVD) time-23:40
    -Master and Commander (BD import) time-17:24
    -Flight of the Phoenix (BD) time-51:00
    -Flyboys (BD)

Be aware that just because you played any of these titles, does not mean that you don't have a problem as it appears not all titles affect every receiver.
    I don't quite get that last line " just because you played any of these titles, does not mean that you don't have a problem".

I've played 1408 (HD DVD import) & Hannibal Rising (HD DVD Import) bitstreamed via my XA2/A35 and Fantastic Four, Close Encounters of the Third Kind & Flyboys BDs via my Panasonic BD30 and never encountered any issues. Does that mean I should still try to get my Onkyo 605 updated? That 2 step self update seems risky to me, and while I have a 3rd party warranty on my 605 good 'till June, it's not covered by Onkyo. (I bought mine from a NYC eBay Power Seller and it's apparently a Canadian model as the serial # is invalid according to Onkyo USA.)

Quote Originally Posted by javajake View Post
    I'm running PS3 right now, so the Popping isn't an issue for me... If it didn't mean possibly putting my reciever out of commission for several weeks, I'd try it... But, as it is, I'll wait til I have a more compelling reason to update.
    The popping sound only affects those who are bitstreaming the DTSHDMA to their Onkyo. If you had the problem you would know. In the middle of a movie when you least expect it, it sounds like a gunshot or worse (your speaker blowing).

I have not been keeping track of titles which have this issue, but if The Orphanage was one of them, then the update worked for me. I just watched the movie without any problems. The update is simple and takes less than two minutes. I updated my 805 just yesterday.
    Sony 60" SXRD XBR2

Quote Originally Posted by D Rock View Post
    I got a loud popping sound from any movie whether it's DTS or Dolby. Will the firmware update correct all popping issues or just the DTS-HD MA issue?

I bought the 605 last May and it's been sitting in the box since Onkyo at the time didn't acknowledge the issue. I bought a second one and it works just fine but if a firmware update would fix the original receiver I could still use it in another room.
    Yes the update should correct the problem for all DTS High Res codecs. If it's popping with Dolby Digital tracks, then I don't know what to tell you. Sounds like there is something else going on.
    Sony 60" SXRD XBR2

Quote Originally Posted by Arkadin View Post
    This issue has been bothering many people but it is NOT a bd player issue. It is instead a receiver issue. Certain Yamaha and Onkyo receivers (as well as a few others) are at fault due to a chip issue. Read these threads carefully for full information.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=43286
    Dont they test these products before releasing them? I have the Onk 605 and hope i wont have any troubles once I buy a stand alone. Right now im rockin the PS3

Quote Originally Posted by Supermodified View Post
    Dont they test these products before releasing them? I have the Onk 605 and hope i wont have any troubles once I buy a stand alone. Right now im rockin the PS3
    There is a firmware release for the 605 on the Onkyo website which you may or may not need. I am not exactly sure what it fixes since I dont have a 605.
    Sony 60" SXRD XBR2

Bee
    Bee is offline Founding Member

This finally happened to me watching AvP: Requiem..about 10 mins into it, during a quiet part. It scared the hell out of me it was so loud.

I plan on updating the DSPs, but didn't really understand how to go about updating the firmware. In fact, I walked away from the thread understanding that the Onkyo 805 didn't offer a firmware update, only a DSP update.

I think it's ridiculous how complicated it is to update this receiver in this day and age.....where's the USB port??
    Toshiba HD-XA2 (98 Titles Owned, 1 pre-ordered)
    Panasonic DMP-BD30 (44 Titles Owned, 4 pre-ordered)
    Philips 50" plasma w/Pixel Plus 3 HD & Ambilight
    Onkyo TX-SR805 7.1 Receiver
    JBL Northridge Series Speakers & Sub (PB10)
    Sony DVP-NC685V (SACD)
    Panamax 5300-EX
    Xbox 360
    DirecTV HR-20
    Harmony 880 Remote

Quote Originally Posted by Bee View Post
    This finally happened to me watching AvP: Requiem..about 10 mins into it, during a quiet part. It scared the hell out of me it was so loud.

I plan on updating the DSPs, but didn't really understand how to go about updating the firmware. In fact, I walked away from the thread understanding that the Onkyo 805 didn't offer a firmware update, only a DSP update.

I think it's ridiculous how complicated it is to update this receiver in this day and age.....where's the USB port??
    +1

Is there a FIRMWARE update for the 805?

Blu_For_U is offline Member

I was planning on buying a 605 in the next 60 days or so. Would a newly purchased unit have the lastest updates or would I still need to make the updates myself? Any educated guess?
    “Are they going to hurt us?”
    “No Donny, these men are cowards”

Sony 50 SXRD LcOS 1080P
    Onkyo 805 7.1
    Polk Audio Fronts/Surround/Rear/Center
    Klipsch Synergy SUB-12
    60GB PS3,Wii, Xbox 360
    Blu-ray's= 250+ and counting ( I Miss You BOGO)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast