Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 74
  1. #31
    johnADA is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Although its more prevalent bitstreaming DTS to one of these receivers I do believe its not fully the fault of the chips in the receiver.

    I and others have had this same "POP" from disc's containing these tracks type using optical and setting up the BD players for not using these newer formats.

    The Players when they go into the main movie seem to use Stereo tracks instead of DD or DTS, unless you've setup to use uncompressed audio. So when you make the switch so it won't output Stereo as some default deal to a DTS od DD track you also get this "POP".

    So really IMO the problem lies in the player and or disc.

  2. #32
    doctornd is offline Founding Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas, Ya'll
    Posts
    265

    Default

    I don't follow...

    Have you read the posts on the AVS link??
    Sony 60" SXRD XBR2
    Integra DPS 6.5...DTC 9.4...Anthem PVA-5...Onkyo TX-SR805...Sony RDR-HX715
    Panasonic DMP-BD30K...Toshiba HD-A35...Sony PS3...Xbox360 Elite
    Audioquest Type 8 (x5) Center + BiAMP Front
    Paradigm Monitor Series 5.0 + PW-2100 0.1

  3. #33
    charolin's Avatar
    charolin is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    90

    Default

    Did you made a reset? If not, do it and try again, just I suggest that use ROXIO or another different that itunes or Windows Media player to burn you audio CD.

    After that you will be fine.
    CHAROLIN

    OPPO BDP-93
    PS3 250GB
    XBOX 360 Elite
    BOSE V25
    SAMSUNG 55" 9000 SERIES 3D
    APPLE TV
    PANAMAX M5400-PM
    BD TITLES +500

    "THE ONE & ONLY YO"

  4. #34
    johnADA is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doctornd View Post
    I don't follow...

    Have you read the posts on the AVS link??

    Yes, I've read the posts concerning Yamaha and Onkyo recievers and their supposedly faulty chips.
    I have also read numerous complains from people who don't have these receivers and aren't looking for True HD and DTS-MA, also hearing what I have. As my post stated, I also don't bother with these formats and send signals over optical instead of using my players 5.1 out etc.

    Every movie and every player I've used over the last several years, once setup, plays Digital Dolby, unless in the main menu you've switched to DTS.

    This BD player is also setup for optical and Dolby Digital , yet movies that have uncompressed in their menu's begin Dolby D during trailers etc, then once the movie begins if you don't change it in the setup main menu, it goes to stereo. If you chose DD instead of uncompressed, I've had disc's create the same "POP" changing over.

    Its been mostly discarded since people are focusing on the receiver issues. The whole picture isn't being seen, so its not being dealt with. I and others have calls into their machines manufacturers, to which is in limbo right now. It's being questioned. I fell it lies somewhere else, like in the disc's and its instructions.

  5. #35
    doctornd is offline Founding Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas, Ya'll
    Posts
    265

    Default

    Just curious...are you using a PS3?
    Sony 60" SXRD XBR2
    Integra DPS 6.5...DTC 9.4...Anthem PVA-5...Onkyo TX-SR805...Sony RDR-HX715
    Panasonic DMP-BD30K...Toshiba HD-A35...Sony PS3...Xbox360 Elite
    Audioquest Type 8 (x5) Center + BiAMP Front
    Paradigm Monitor Series 5.0 + PW-2100 0.1

  6. #36
    mrspeakers's Avatar
    mrspeakers is offline analog/digital audio expert
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnADA View Post
    Yes, I've read the posts concerning Yamaha and Onkyo recievers and their supposedly faulty chips.
    I have also read numerous complains from people who don't have these receivers and aren't looking for True HD and DTS-MA, also hearing what I have. As my post stated, I also don't bother with these formats and send signals over optical instead of using my players 5.1 out etc.

    Every movie and every player I've used over the last several years, once setup, plays Digital Dolby, unless in the main menu you've switched to DTS.

    This BD player is also setup for optical and Dolby Digital , yet movies that have uncompressed in their menu's begin Dolby D during trailers etc, then once the movie begins if you don't change it in the setup main menu, it goes to stereo. If you chose DD instead of uncompressed, I've had disc's create the same "POP" changing over.

    Its been mostly discarded since people are focusing on the receiver issues. The whole picture isn't being seen, so its not being dealt with. I and others have calls into their machines manufacturers, to which is in limbo right now. It's being questioned. I fell it lies somewhere else, like in the disc's and its instructions.
    First, if you can't be bothered to get top-quality audio, you aren't going to be bothered by this bug. You already lost me there, as I can't imagine why you'd want HD video and then satisfy yourself with DVD-grade audio. It's not bad, but it's not wonderful...

    The "Pop" you are talking about is simply the DA converter locking up to the format and creating a transient which is neither alarmingly loud or long in duration. The Pop we are talking about is like having a bomb go off in your living room. That's why it's called "the DTS bomb."

    Fox movies, for example Edward Scissorhands, or movies like Pans Labyrinth, default to DTS HD MA. If you bitstream with these for audio quality reasons (why on earth would you downsample to DD or DTs core via optical if you can bitstream), then you can be in for a rude shock when these suckers go kaboom.

    Whether it was a chip defect or a software algorithm issue doesn't really matter so long as there is a functioning workaround.
    Epson Pro 1080UB projector
    106" Elite Expo white wall-mount screen
    Integra 9.8 Surround Processor
    Theta Dreadnaught Amp (5 channel)
    AudioSource One stereo amp (rear surrounds)
    Panasonic BD30
    Toshiba XA2
    My own LRC speakers and sub + 4 PSB 50 surrounds
    AppleTV and Mac Mini with 1.5TB RAID for music/visualizer/photos

  7. #37
    doctornd is offline Founding Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas, Ya'll
    Posts
    265

    Default

    What he said...

    +

    I think what you are explaining John is the popping you get from the transitioning between the: movie menu/FBI Copyright Warning/Trailers/Video...etc. If you are using the PS3, this is a common occurance. This pop is nothing compared to the DTS bomb we are discussing here. Ever since I switched to the Panasonic BD30 I have not experienced these pops I think you are refering to, so I assume you are using a PS3 as I too have experienced this.
    Sony 60" SXRD XBR2
    Integra DPS 6.5...DTC 9.4...Anthem PVA-5...Onkyo TX-SR805...Sony RDR-HX715
    Panasonic DMP-BD30K...Toshiba HD-A35...Sony PS3...Xbox360 Elite
    Audioquest Type 8 (x5) Center + BiAMP Front
    Paradigm Monitor Series 5.0 + PW-2100 0.1

  8. #38
    93xfan's Avatar
    93xfan is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,303

    Default

    i'll have to check this out when i finally get a new receiver.
    Sony 50" 1080p SXRD A2000
    .5GB Wii 120GB 360 60GB PS3
    Onkyo SR605 Receiver

  9. #39
    johnADA is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post
    First, if you can't be bothered to get top-quality audio, you aren't going to be bothered by this bug. You already lost me there, as I can't imagine why you'd want HD video and then satisfy yourself with DVD-grade audio. It's not bad, but it's not wonderful...

    The "Pop" you are talking about is simply the DA converter locking up to the format and creating a transient which is neither alarmingly loud or long in duration. The Pop we are talking about is like having a bomb go off in your living room. That's why it's called "the DTS bomb."
    I've heard the DTS bomb and this is not that far off, sounding like a pistol going off.

    As far as True HD and DTS-MA audio, its much more a overhype than HDM is.
    HDM is inconstant and sometimes it does shine, rare, but happens and other times its a SD DVD with a Blu ray label. The audio, subtle if any noticeable difference, but we must be hard of hearing, setup wrong or have the wrong equipment, right!!!


    No PS3, Sony 300's, the Panny and my Sharp have all reported problems. Its not a transition change. Menu, setup, pick audio, POP at over 100 db's no matter what the volume level is set at!!!!!
    Last edited by JU1CYFRU1T; 05-07-2008 at 12:25 PM. Reason: fixed broken quote

  10. #40
    mrspeakers's Avatar
    mrspeakers is offline analog/digital audio expert
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    650

    Default

    [QUOTE=johnADA;939546]
    Quote Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post

    I've heard the DTS bomb and this is not that far off, sounding like a pistol going off.

    As far as True HD and DTS-MA audio, its much more a overhype than HDM is.
    HDM is inconstant and sometimes it does shine, rare, but happens and other times its a SD DVD with a Blu ray label. The audio, subtle if any noticeable difference, but we must be hard of hearing, setup wrong or have the wrong equipment, right!!!


    No PS3, Sony 300's, the Panny and my Sharp have all reported problems. Its not a transition change. Menu, setup, pick audio, POP at over 100 db's no matter what the volume level is set at!!!!!
    Well, with my gear and to my ears, the audio difference is fairly obvious, especially on newer movies. I won't get into why you do or don't hear and/or prefer this except to say that if you *could* use it it doesn't make much sense to not use it. But hey, it's a free country.

    I have not seen that kind of POP reported elsewhere. Are there other threads you're referencing here or on AVS? I'm not saying this to challenge you, I just haven't heard of it. Is it possible this is specific to your receiver? Have you tried a different receiver?

    If you are getting that kind of POP, it seems to me something else is wrong. No system should generate a 100db pop when changing source material. That is potential lawsuit-level-loud.

    It is conceivable that you have something like a shorted capacitor on the output of the D/A converter, and you're getting a DC transient when switching sources, but that is total speculation, and Aurora will probably do a mathematical proof to disprove it...
    Epson Pro 1080UB projector
    106" Elite Expo white wall-mount screen
    Integra 9.8 Surround Processor
    Theta Dreadnaught Amp (5 channel)
    AudioSource One stereo amp (rear surrounds)
    Panasonic BD30
    Toshiba XA2
    My own LRC speakers and sub + 4 PSB 50 surrounds
    AppleTV and Mac Mini with 1.5TB RAID for music/visualizer/photos

  11. #41
    doctornd is offline Founding Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Texas, Ya'll
    Posts
    265

    Default

    mrspeakers,
    I'm with you on this one. Sounds to me like something more sinister is at play here.

    100db pop through optical? At any volume?


    John, what receiver are you using? Whatever is going on, I hope you have luck finding a solution.
    Sony 60" SXRD XBR2
    Integra DPS 6.5...DTC 9.4...Anthem PVA-5...Onkyo TX-SR805...Sony RDR-HX715
    Panasonic DMP-BD30K...Toshiba HD-A35...Sony PS3...Xbox360 Elite
    Audioquest Type 8 (x5) Center + BiAMP Front
    Paradigm Monitor Series 5.0 + PW-2100 0.1

  12. #42
    johnADA is offline Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    530

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by doctornd View Post
    mrspeakers,
    I'm with you on this one. Sounds to me like something more sinister is at play here.

    100db pop through optical? At any volume?


    John, what receiver are you using? Whatever is going on, I hope you have luck finding a solution.

    Its not the receiver, its definitely a BDA problem.
    My receiver is a Integra 6.4, but on AVS, Blu Ray forums and High Def forums people are finding the same thing, many different receivers and SA players along with the PS3 on disc's containing these tracks.

  13. #43
    mrspeakers's Avatar
    mrspeakers is offline analog/digital audio expert
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    San Diego
    Posts
    650

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by johnADA View Post
    Its not the receiver, its definitely a BDA problem.
    My receiver is a Integra 6.4, but on AVS, Blu Ray forums and High Def forums people are finding the same thing, many different receivers and SA players along with the PS3 on disc's containing these tracks.
    Please point me to the AVS thread, I'm curious. I found some chatter about problems with PS3 switching audio, but not a generalized issue.
    Epson Pro 1080UB projector
    106" Elite Expo white wall-mount screen
    Integra 9.8 Surround Processor
    Theta Dreadnaught Amp (5 channel)
    AudioSource One stereo amp (rear surrounds)
    Panasonic BD30
    Toshiba XA2
    My own LRC speakers and sub + 4 PSB 50 surrounds
    AppleTV and Mac Mini with 1.5TB RAID for music/visualizer/photos

  14. #44
    Bobbyg714's Avatar
    Bobbyg714 is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    92

    Default

    Ok, just catching up on this thread. I just got an Onkyo 705 two weekes ago. Do all of them have the popping sound issue? I have not watched a BD with DTS-MA yet, I am now afraid to do so.
    Hitachi 50" Plasma 1080i
    HD DVD Toshiba HD A3
    Blu-Ray - Panasonic BD30
    Red DVDs - 32
    Blue DVDs -32
    Receiver
    Onkyo TX-SR705

    Looking for Edward Scissorhands

  15. #45
    charolin's Avatar
    charolin is offline Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Mexico
    Posts
    90

    Default

    You have to check the DSP firmware version first, if not the same you have to make the update process if you want to skin the BOOM in your speakers when you are bistream DTS-HD MA from you player to the receiver.
    CHAROLIN

    OPPO BDP-93
    PS3 250GB
    XBOX 360 Elite
    BOSE V25
    SAMSUNG 55" 9000 SERIES 3D
    APPLE TV
    PANAMAX M5400-PM
    BD TITLES +500

    "THE ONE & ONLY YO"

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.1 PL1