Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Aziz is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by javajake View Post
    +1

Is there a FIRMWARE update for the 805?

Although I may have missed it I believe only the DSP's are updated on the 805, not the main firmware.

The DSP's are easy to update, the main firmware not so much.

norvabear is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bee View Post
    This finally happened to me watching AvP: Requiem..about 10 mins into it, during a quiet part. It scared the hell out of me it was so loud.
    I had this happen to me last night during The Golden Compass. Scared the hell out of me, too! Sounded like someone had thrown a bowling ball against the house. I have an 805, but I'm not sure how the upgrade is implemented, either. Not sure I want to try it by myself.

duckydan is offline Member

I upgraded my 605 yesterday through SPDIF cable using the download I linked to in the other thread. Took all of a minute to do and now no more popping. I never had the problem until AvP but not willing to risk my system should the problem return (as it would when I watch the golden compass tonight)

Dish Network ViP 922

Samsung 55" UC7000 3D LED TV, Pioneer VSK-1020k Receiver, Samsung 6800 3D Blu-Ray Player, Polk Monitor 70 Front Speakers, Polk CS1 Center Channel, Polk R50 Rear Speakers, Polk Monitor 30 Surround Speakers, Klipsch Sub-12

Cochise is offline Special Member

Quote Originally Posted by duckydan View Post
    I upgraded my 605 yesterday through SPDIF cable using the download I linked to in the other thread. Took all of a minute to do and now no more popping. I never had the problem until AvP but not willing to risk my system should the problem return (as it would when I watch the golden compass tonight)
    Well, it didn't work for me - I thought I'd bricked my Onkyo 605. I DL'd the firmware & PDF instructions, burned the DSP firmware to an audio CD, and followed the sequence with SPDIF out from my BD30 to Opt1 on the 605. The instructions say it's supposed to say SPDIF update" for around 15 seconds, then "Writing" for 30 seconds, then "Complete". Mine hung up on " SPDIF Update", let it do that for a few minutes, tried playing it again. Nada. I have the BD30 set to bitstream for everything. Finally I powered down. When I checked the DSP version again it just said DSP version ???????. No audio output from any input source.

I was really to file a warranty claim, when in looking at the AVSFourm thread, I thought to try a reset to factory defaults. That did it, it's now displaying the original DSP FW version, and audio works again. Phew! But, screw the update, no popping noise encountered yet; I'm leaving mine alone. Except now I have to go through the Audessy EQ setup & all the tweakings again.

JMCIII is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blu_For_U View Post
    I was planning on buying a 605 in the next 60 days or so. Would a newly purchased unit have the lastest updates or would I still need to make the updates myself? Any educated guess?

I bought my 605 a month ago. I went to Onkyos website and checked for updates. They asked for the serial number. When i typed mine in I was told that it didn't need the update, so i would guess that yours won't either. but you can always check on the website.

Htown-D is offline Member

The Onkyp rep I just talked to said you would need to take the receiver to an authorized technician to have the firmware updated to fix the dts pop. It's not on the website. Should be covered under warranty. I'm gonna try and get mine done tomorrow.

The only disc I've had the issue with so far is AVP-R.
    Panasonic BD30/BD35 & Onkyo 606

Last 3 Blus:
    stopped trying to keep up

doctornd is offline Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by norvabear View Post
    I have an 805, but I'm not sure how the upgrade is implemented, either. Not sure I want to try it by myself.
    It's quite simple actually. All you need to do is burn the correct file to a CD for your receiver (see the AVS site). It is actually a WAV file that is played back through a cd/dvd player into the OPT1 input on your 805. You push a series of buttons on the reciever to enter SPDIF update mode and playback the cd which takes about 1.5 minutes. After that, you are done. Quick and painless.

I watched The Orphanage after the update which some reported as having the DTSHDMA bomb. I watched the entire movie without incident.

I can understand those that find a great "risk" in doing their own update, but my speakers are worth more than my reciever. If I bricked my reciever, it would cost me less to fix than to replace a speaker. I watch a lot of movies and I don't have time to wait around for an update. I remember seeing someone report a 3 week turnaround.
    Sony 60" SXRD XBR2
    Integra DPS 6.5...DTC 9.4...Anthem PVA-5...Onkyo TX-SR805...Sony RDR-HX715
    Panasonic DMP-BD30K...Toshiba HD-A35...Sony PS3...Xbox360 Elite
    Audioquest Type 8 (x5) Center + BiAMP Front
    Paradigm Monitor Series 5.0 + PW-2100 0.1

mrspeakers is offline analog/digital audio expert

All, the disclaimer is of course that if you do the update you are on your own. I sat on the fence about doing it, but decided to both to eliminate the bomb and to get the "secret" Reon processing functions in the 1.07/1.08 release.

Why is it complex? Onkyo doesn't want end users to do this. They'll send you a waiver and give you firmware and directions, if you want. Or you can go to a service center and wait three weeks (really).

The directions on AVS are complex, but if you take your time, you'll discover they aren't really that hard to follow, and with a little patience and the purchase of a USB->serial adaptor, lo and behold I had the upgrade done in a total of 45 minutes.

Use iTunes to burn the DSP CD, and make sure you get either the 1.07 or 1.08 download depending on which receiver/processor you have. As a final note, the skuttle on AVS is that the Onkyo is resilient to failed updates; people who had an update that didn't work the first time reset the receiver and viola, it came back to life. Not like the HD players that brick if the firmware isn't perfectly updated.

P.S. Bee, I'm pretty sure the 8.05 is covered by the DSP update. Call Onkyo about the main, it may not require an update. The 1.07 for the Integra was apparently only to add some Reon control features and to speed up what had been awfully slow audio-switching (it's now almost immediate).
    Epson Pro 1080UB projector
    106" Elite Expo white wall-mount screen
    Integra 9.8 Surround Processor
    Theta Dreadnaught Amp (5 channel)
    AudioSource One stereo amp (rear surrounds)
    Panasonic BD30
    Toshiba XA2
    My own LRC speakers and sub + 4 PSB 50 surrounds
    AppleTV and Mac Mini with 1.5TB RAID for music/visualizer/photos

thebat68 is offline Founding Member

I have the 705 and i too did the DSP update and all went well.
    A/V Equipment
    Toshiba A-35 HD-DVD Dvd Player, Toshiba A2, Samsung 61" LED DLP 1080P Television, XBOX360, Onkyo TX-SR608 Receiver PS3 For Movies Only
    XBOX 360 For Games
    Panasonic DMP-BDT300 3D Player
    SDVD 1822
    362BR, 29 BR3D
    95 HD DVD

tmuller is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Htown-D View Post
    The Onkyp rep I just talked to said you would need to take the receiver to an authorized technician to have the firmware updated to fix the dts pop. It's not on the website. Should be covered under warranty. I'm gonna try and get mine done tomorrow.

The only disc I've had the issue with so far is AVP-R.
    I have a 805 and downloaded the updated DSP firmware for the DTS pop without taking it to an Onkyo dealer.

Dig deeper. There is an update for the 605, but it's different than the 705,805,875,905 and 885 update (different wave file used for the update).
    Onkyo TX-SR805
    Polk Audio CS175 (center) RT15 (Front) R10 (rear)
    Kenwood AVR1080 (sub amp)
    2x12" Rockford Fosgate Subs
    Toshiba HD-A35 & HD-XA2
    LG BH200 ( BH02080620A )

96 (last: The Jack Ryan Collection)
    9 (last: Iron Man)

charolin is offline Member

Thumbs up I did it from myself, everything OK.

Hi fellows, I did it the DSP update this morning and WOW was faster that I can imagine and easy.

Currently I am setting up my ONKYO 805 again and all my devices to make a finally test with the Eagles tour concert, I expect to have a happy final soon.

Regards,
    CHAROLIN

OPPO BDP-93
    PS3 250GB
    XBOX 360 Elite
    BOSE V25
    SAMSUNG 55" 9000 SERIES 3D
    APPLE TV
    PANAMAX M5400-PM
    BD TITLES +500

"THE ONE & ONLY YO"

davcole is offline Member

Ok, maybe someone here can help me?

I have the Onkyo 705 model. Yesterday I went and burned the .wav file onto a disc and the connected to OPT1 and when I hit SPDIF mode I put in the disc, it at first said "writing" then it didn't do anything but stay in "spdif" mode. Afterward I checked the firmware it at first said "???" for my DSP but after turning off and back on it showed the original DSP.

When I retried it and tried to get to the SPDIF mode, all it says now is FIRMWARE UPDATE MODE?

Is there a way I can reset to get back into the SPDIF mode?

Thanks in advance!!

charolin is offline Member

Thumbs up Onkyo 805 Dsp Updated

Although this firmware update for the ONKYO 805 solve a Dolby True HD issues that I can notice in a movies like Close Encounters of the third kind BD, and always sounds amazing and better than before.

Regards,
    CHAROLIN

OPPO BDP-93
    PS3 250GB
    XBOX 360 Elite
    BOSE V25
    SAMSUNG 55" 9000 SERIES 3D
    APPLE TV
    PANAMAX M5400-PM
    BD TITLES +500

"THE ONE & ONLY YO"

javajake is offline Member

I understand that you can do the DSP update for the 805, but what about the main firmware update? Is there a way to do that? I've read some posts on folks who have updated other models main firmware, and the "Audio/Video" switching was greatly improved speed wise. My 805 seems pretty slow when switching between different inputs, so this firmware update intrigues me. However, the 805 seems to be missing from the instructions for doing the MAIN firmware update. Anyone Know?

doctornd is offline Founding Member

Quote Originally Posted by davcole View Post
    Ok, maybe someone here can help me?

I have the Onkyo 705 model. Yesterday I went and burned the .wav file onto a disc and the connected to OPT1 and when I hit SPDIF mode I put in the disc, it at first said "writing" then it didn't do anything but stay in "spdif" mode. Afterward I checked the firmware it at first said "???" for my DSP but after turning off and back on it showed the original DSP.

When I retried it and tried to get to the SPDIF mode, all it says now is FIRMWARE UPDATE MODE?

Is there a way I can reset to get back into the SPDIF mode?

Thanks in advance!!
    I highly recommend that you post in the AVS thread regarding this update. It seems there would be more people there experienced in performing this update, especially on the 705. Sorry. I hope someone can help you.
    Sony 60" SXRD XBR2
    Integra DPS 6.5...DTC 9.4...Anthem PVA-5...Onkyo TX-SR805...Sony RDR-HX715
    Panasonic DMP-BD30K...Toshiba HD-A35...Sony PS3...Xbox360 Elite
    Audioquest Type 8 (x5) Center + BiAMP Front
    Paradigm Monitor Series 5.0 + PW-2100 0.1

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast