Page 1 of 2 1 2 Last>>

Default Blu-ray ability to display 3-D?

I was wondering if it were possible for our hi-def formats and/or TV's to display 3-D, but not with the old Blue-Red glasses.
    Well, HDTVs that are locked into progressive (like LCDs) can't do the standard def field sequential 3D format; that one depends upon NTSC interlacing to alternate very quickly between angles (with shutter glasses synchronized to block one eye, then the other), and progressive displays deinterlace it automatically and turn it into a big mess. Sucks for me; I've got several movies in that.

Blu-ray's 3D system is in the works though. It's based on the same idea of alternating between views, and it does work on 120Hz DLP HDTVs, since they can do 60Hz for each of the two angles...but it won't work on any HDTV that doesn't have a native 120Hz output. Check it out.
    BLU HD DEFENDER is offline formerly HD DVD DEFENDER & RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER
    dont expect to see anything like realD or disney digital 3D on home video anytime soon.
    its meant to be something to bring people to the theatres again. to make certain movies a must see event again.

one day it will come to home video but not anytime soon. and thats the way it should be.
    411 and rising as of November 22 2008 http://www.dvdspot.com/member=BLU+HD+DEFENDER
    as of Nov 22nd, all sales by me include signature confirmation upon delivery
    Samsung BD-P 1500(firmware upated to profile 2.0 )
    DLP 1080p Projector
    miss you dad 3-13-2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER View Post
    one day it will come to home video but not anytime soon. and thats the way it should be.
    Oh, I don't know about that. 3D was invented as a gimmick to get people into theaters, so I don't see why it couldn't be used as a gimmick to get people to buy Blu-ray. There's already a standard-def field sequential shutter glasses system you can get pretty much anywhere, and nobody seems to have an objection to releasing movies for it (there were plenty of Hollywood titles put out in Japan in the 1980s, and there were field sequential DVDs of 'Spy Kids 3D' and 'Shark Boy and Lava Girl' released in the U.S. not long ago). It's just incredibly unpopular here in the States, thanks to bad timing, a really high retail price, a flickery picture and just about nothing decent available to watch on it.

But now, a few years later, home theater is somewhat more of a thing, there have been several popular 3D movies released in recent memory, and 120Hz high-def 3D would look awesome enough to justify a somewhat high price. I don't see why they wouldn't try putting it on the market if they're already making a big deal about being able to do it.

(That fake 2D-to-3D thing is a terrible idea, though. I hope they dump that quickly.)
    BLU HD DEFENDER is offline formerly HD DVD DEFENDER & RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER
    trust me on this buddy, real D 3d and disney digital 3D are not going to be utalized for home entertainment anytime soon. do you realize that a theatre that has real d has to install a $33,000 silver screen. not to mention the real d projectors cost upwards of 250,000 dollars. there are not even 1000 real d screens out there yet.
    maybe in 15 or 20 years you might see true real d 3d in a home video. but dont count on it.
    the theatre exhibitors have to much money invested on the formats commerical theatre exclusivity to allow it be watered down for home video use.
    ps i was a projectionist at a major hollywood theatre for a number of years, and had hands on experience with the Real D format when it was first being tested back in 2005.

you sir have no clue what you are talking about have you even seen a movie converted from 2d to 3D guess what i have seen several and its not about fakeing it.

can i ask what movies (if any) you have even seen in real d (and by the way disney digital 3d is real d just branded disney digital for disney specific films)

man i miss working at that old historic theatre sometimes
    Quote Originally Posted by krylonman View Post
    Oh, I don't know about that. 3D was invented as a gimmick to get people into theaters, so I don't see why it couldn't be used as a gimmick to get people to buy Blu-ray. There's already a standard-def field sequential shutter glasses system you can get pretty much anywhere, and nobody seems to have an objection to releasing movies for it (there were plenty of Hollywood titles put out in Japan in the 1980s, and there were field sequential DVDs of 'Spy Kids 3D' and 'Shark Boy and Lava Girl' released in the U.S. not long ago). It's just incredibly unpopular here in the States, thanks to bad timing, a really high retail price, a flickery picture and just about nothing decent available to watch on it.

But now, a few years later, home theater is somewhat more of a thing, there have been several popular 3D movies released in recent memory, and 120Hz high-def 3D would look awesome enough to justify a somewhat high price. I don't see why they wouldn't try putting it on the market if they're already making a big deal about being able to do it.

(That fake 2D-to-3D thing is a terrible idea, though. I hope they dump that quickly.)
    411 and rising as of November 22 2008 http://www.dvdspot.com/member=BLU+HD+DEFENDER
    as of Nov 22nd, all sales by me include signature confirmation upon delivery
    Samsung BD-P 1500(firmware upated to profile 2.0 )
    DLP 1080p Projector
    miss you dad 3-13-2008
    I have to agree with those that are saying that it will be a long while before we see 3D cinema in our homes. 3D really is the only thing cinema has left to get people to go to the theaters.

With 2k video and master quality sound in the home theater realm now, the only thing they can offer is 4k, there are still a majority of cinemas that use film and 2k res, and the 3D gimmick.

The HD formats have really placed cinemas in an interesting position.
    Enjoying life in HD!
    Quote Originally Posted by RED&BLUE HD DEFENDER View Post
    trust me on this buddy, real D 3d and disney digital 3D are not going to be utalized for home entertainment anytime soon. do you realize that a theatre that has real d has to install a $33,000 silver screen. not to mention the real d projectors cost upwards of 250,000 dollars. there are not even 1000 real d screens out there yet.

maybe in 15 or 20 years you might see true real d 3d in a home video. but dont count on it.
    the theatre exhibitors have to much money invested on the formats commerical theatre exclusivity to allow it be watered down for home video use.
    Did you check out that link, or what? According to that article, Mitsubishi has already developed a 3D Blu-ray player that works only with 120Hz DLPs (in a system that, now that you mention it, is similar to the way Real D works). The article is an account of a press invite where they demonstrated it in action. They say it'll be out some time this year, not that I'd take that as gospel.

Investment on the part of exhibitors does make sense as a roadblock, though; if they thought it would make exhibitors too angry to give people easy access to 3D movies at home, sure, that would be a good reason not to do it. But I'd be willing to bet that any home 3D setup would be pretty expensive, and exhibitors wouldn't have much to worry about (especially when it's mostly kid's movies in 3D at the moment—sure, some people might spend hundreds on a system with glasses their six-year-old would find a way to break in three days flat, but not many of them).

you sir have no clue what you are talking about have you even seen a movie converted from 2d to 3D guess what i have seen several and its not about fakeing it.
    You lost me. How could converting a movie not filmed in 3D to 3D not be faking it? Because that's what I meant up there (the article I linked to also has them talking about a feature that converts any movie, no matter what it is, to 3D—blecch).

ps i was a projectionist at a major hollywood theatre for a number of years, and had hands on experience with the Real D format when it was first being tested back in 2005.

can i ask what movies (if any) you have even seen in real d (and by the way disney digital 3d is real d just branded disney digital for disney specific films)
    I've never seen any in Real D; as far as 3D in a theater goes, I've seen a few films in polarized 3D and that's it.
    My samsung is 3d ready, I had talked to a samsung rep a few months ago who claimed that they were in the working on getting some glasses to drop by 08' years end and that it was more for the gaming side as game developers planned to release games in 3d, however he said with these glasses you would experience it in 3d whilst if your playing with a friedn he would see the game regular...

Said they would be round 200 bucks a pair... He seemed to know what he was talking about, but ofcourse he was obviously just repeating what had been told to him.

I wanted to see Beuwolf 3d but missed it
    http://www.digitalcommentary.com
    61' Samsung DLP SLIM 1080P HDTV
    100+ Couple &
    PSN ID: HERETOWRECK
    Currently playing COD4, alot!
    ah cmon $20,000 Blu-ray players are really enticing to get for 3-D!
    Display: Samsung 52" LNT5271F LCD 1080/24p 120Hz
    Receiver: Onkyo TX-SR606 5.1
    HD players: Samsung BDP-1600 Profile 2.0, PS3 - 160GB
    Lite-On 4x BD-ROM (for PC) , PowerDVD 7.3/8.0 Ultra, Corel WinDVD 9
    : 111
    : 7

Default 2-D to 3-D conversion

I read an article on the 2D to 3D conversion process used to make Nightmare Before Christmas 3D. While it is actually "faking it" it is done in a way that is produces excellent results. The movie was actually digitized, then a digital reproduction of the second view, seen throught the right eye was created. The second view is rendered from a slightly different angle depending on the needs of the scene being created. this method produces the two angles needed to create a 3D image. I have seen the Nightmare various times, and I must say the 3D effect is incredible. If you close one of your eyes when watching the movie, I forget which one, you will see the movie as it was originally made.
    I have seen a couple of 3D Disney flicks at Imax as well as Beowulf. Have to say that I was not really that impressed. It had its moments..but after awhile...I got bored with it. Just seems like a parlor trick more than a ''technological achievement''. But hey...who am I, right? If others like 3D... more power to them.
    My mancave:

Display - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
    Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590, Sony PS3 320GB
    Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd), MacBook Pro 17" i5 750GB

Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)

"When your winning, fight like your losing"
    The few 3-d's I've watched on the BD30 are fine. Although I agree after a few minutes its boring and feels more like a trick. Cool at first. But after just a few minutes it adds very little to the enjoyment factor of the movie itself.
    the "3d" bds are mostly the old "theater look" where action seems to go back into the picture. you don't really see many effects that really jump out of the picture. That's what I think is the biggest difference in home and theater.
    that said there is a big press release just today about a bunch of 3d movies coming to bd from some company. there will definitely be more 3d bd coming.
    will it be anything as good as being in the theater? not likely.
    I'm waiting for the old 50's movies to come to bd in 3d.
    that will be the bomb imo.
    "Dial M For Murder" anyone?

Default BD in 3D coming soon...

polar express is coming out in 3D on October 28th.
    Quote Originally Posted by krylonman View Post
    Did you check out that link, or what? According to that article, Mitsubishi has already developed a 3D Blu-ray player that works only with 120Hz DLPs (in a system that, now that you mention it, is similar to the way Real D works). The article is an account of a press invite where they demonstrated it in action. They say it'll be out some time this year, not that I'd take that as gospel.

Investment on the part of exhibitors does make sense as a roadblock, though; if they thought it would make exhibitors too angry to give people easy access to 3D movies at home, sure, that would be a good reason not to do it. But I'd be willing to bet that any home 3D setup would be pretty expensive, and exhibitors wouldn't have much to worry about (especially when it's mostly kid's movies in 3D at the moment—sure, some people might spend hundreds on a system with glasses their six-year-old would find a way to break in three days flat, but not many of them).

You lost me. How could converting a movie not filmed in 3D to 3D not be faking it? Because that's what I meant up there (the article I linked to also has them talking about a feature that converts any movie, no matter what it is, to 3D—blecch).

I've never seen any in Real D; as far as 3D in a theater goes, I've seen a few films in polarized 3D and that's it.
    Too bad that it will only work on DLP, since the consumer is being steered away from DLP towards LCD and Plasma.