Default PS3: No Picture Using HDMI–DVI Cable

This cable worked (and still works) fine with a Sony upscaling DVD player (forgot the model) and a Sony BDP-S300 (I just exchanged it for the PS3). The PS3 is currently connected via component cables. Obviously, I don't get the best PQ that way, and I can't upscale regular DVDs (unless they are backups). An update to the latest software version didn't help. I had the same issue with a Toshiba HD-A3 (I had that before I got the BDP-S300). The DVI port on my RCA D34W20 is HDCP compliant.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yog-Sothoth View Post
    This cable worked (and still works) fine with a Sony upscaling DVD player (forgot the model) and a Sony BDP-S300 (I just exchanged it for the PS3). The PS3 is currently connected via component cables. Obviously, I don't get the best PQ that way, and I can't upscale regular DVDs (unless they are backups). An update to the latest software version didn't help. I had the same issue with a Toshiba HD-A3 (I had that before I got the BDP-S300). The DVI port on my RCA D34W20 is HDCP compliant.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
    I did the same thing with my tv last night. At first no picture. So I unplugged the ps3 and plugged it bak in. At first it did the same thing, then after a few seconds the ps3 started working just fine. I will stay standard dvds look amazing upscaled. Not quite hd, but darn near close. I put in star wars episode 3 and it lloked almost as good as HBO hd. Anyways I have a question. Whenever I turn up the volume on my ps3 a humming noise comes from the speakers on my tv. It isn't noticeable much when I watch movies, but you can hear it in quieter parts of the movie. Is this normal for ps3? Do I have something not set right or is the sound card screwed up and I need to send it in for a new one? Any help would be appreciated
    i had some issues initiall, my tv accepts a dvi sinal, so i bought the hdmi to dvi connector.

anyhow, initially i got no sound, so i had to set it up like this.

enable all the hdmi settings as normal, but also go into the component and turn on component audio output.

my terminology might not be exact, and this may not be exatly what you are looking for, but it could help.

it upscales nicely, and i have audio.
    the hum is normal for me too....

i think its a grounding issue...

ps3 not properly grounded??

im in an old house with some outlets ungrounded...could that be the cuprit??
    Have you already set the PS3 to use HDMI out for video? It will go through the checks for compatibility with your set - to do this initially, you need to have component hooked up (so you can use the menus), but switch to the HDMI video input on the display. I used a Bluejeans HDMI to DVI at first and it worked great.
    =228My HT

HT:Marantz SR-8300, Emotiva XPA-3, GR Research A/V-2s x 5, Epik Emprire, Oppo BDP-83SE, URC RC50, Panamax 5100, APC H10, PS3 Slim 120G (500G), PS3 60G(250G, dead)

Default Also having similar issues

I also have a RCA D34W20. Just got a new Comcast DVR. My old Comcast HD receiver had a DVI output and worked just fine through the DVI input on the TV. The new Comcast box has HDMI and I have used several different HDMI to DVI converters. (I work for a company that makes these things so I get them for free.) I have had no luck getting a picture. When I use the service menu on the cable box it says it cannot make an HDCP connection. My DVI input is supposed to be HDCP compliant. It seems like the new box and the TV are not able to make the HDCP "handshake."

Any thoughts?
    Try setting the PS3 for 1080i output. Reading the owner's manual for your TV (I think), it mentions that DVI jack is "1080i at 1.78 Gigabits per second." It might not accept a 720p signal through the DVI jack. The problem might be in selecting "Auto" for the HDMI resolution.

HDMI is a 2-way communication link, while DVI is only one way. What this means is that the PS3 and your other devices are expecting the monitor to come back and tell them what the highest resolutions they can display are (this is how "Auto" works), but using DVI on one end doesn't allow this to happen, and your TV isn't telling the device anything about itself. The device doesn't know what to do, so it's probably set to just pick 720p, figuring its the safest resolution. If the DVI jack won't accept a 720p signal, it won't put out any picture.

EDIT: From the Amazon product page, it doesn't seem that this TV accepts a 720p signal over component either, as Amazon lists the component terminals as "1080i/480p." If so, that's your problem. I'd guess that the PS3's component jacks default to 1080i, so that could be why you're getting HD video out of them.

Try the 1080i thing I suggested and see what it does.
    Last edited by Aurora; 04-04-2008 at 10:51 PM.
    Gone forever, at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by mrspeakers View Post
    You're a goddess.