Default PS3 audio output format question

Under the settings in the PS3 under BD/DVD Audio Output Format (HDMI) & (Optical Cable) there are two settings you can have, Linear PCM or Bitmapping. Now I use a fiber optic cable because my reciever(read in sig for which one it is) does not have HDMI sound output, only video so I have to use Optical cables anyways whats the difference between the two and which setting should I use? Right now it is at Linear PCM.
    Home Theater:
    T.V.- 60" Samsung 7500 Series LED TV
    Receiver- Yamaha RX-V867
    Front- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Center- Polk Audio CS2
    Surround- Polk Audio Monitor 70
    Back- Polk Audio Monitor 60
    Sub- Polk Audio PSW505
    12-Inch Powered Subwoofer
    Blu-Ray Player- Sony BDP S570
    Blu-Ray Player- 500 GB PlayStation 4
    Lost Count
    I'd suggest you use Bitstream for output because that way you'll be able to take advantage of DD or DTS. But you won't be able to hear PCM 5.1 or Dolby TrueHD.
    My system:
    Projector - 1080p Runco Video Xtreme VX-2000d
    Screen - 120 inch Carada
    Panasonic DMP-BD30 Blu-ray player
    Toshiba HD-XA2 HD-DVD player
    Onkyo TX-NR905 receiver
    Martin Logan Clarity Speakers
    When using Linear PCM, all audio decoding is performed by the PS3. Bitstream passes the data on to you receiver for decoding. Basically, bitstream should handle most situations, except for Dolby HD, as stated previously.
    And you don't need HDMI sound output to use the HDMI audio--your receiver peels off the audio and decodes that info and passes the video data onto you HD panel. HDMI Video out only

Default related question

I apologize if I seem to be hijacking the thread, but my question is somewhat similar and I am hoping that I can get a response more efficiently.

I have my ps3 connected via hdmi to my samsung plasma HP-S5033. My 7.1 onkyo reciever does not have hdmi connection. I have my tv audio out connected to the reciever via optical.

My question is that should I hook up my audio directly from ps3 to reciever via optical or should I keep it directly to the tv. And if it should be directly to the tv, then what should I set my audio output options on PS3 to be?

thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by alam555 View Post
    I apologize if I seem to be hijacking the thread, but my question is somewhat similar and I am hoping that I can get a response more efficiently.

I have my ps3 connected via hdmi to my samsung plasma HP-S5033. My 7.1 onkyo reciever does not have hdmi connection. I have my tv audio out connected to the reciever via optical.

My question is that should I hook up my audio directly from ps3 to reciever via optical or should I keep it directly to the tv. And if it should be directly to the tv, then what should I set my audio output options on PS3 to be?

thank you
    In the XMB set the Audio Output to optical.
    Quote Originally Posted by alam555 View Post
    should I hook up my audio directly from ps3 to reciever via optical
    Yup. And choose bitstream on the PS3 output setting.

Default I am also butting in with a similar question

I would like to have the HDMI audio work to the tv and the optical line work to the receiver (no HDMI in receiver). I can either make the otical line work to the receiver OR make the HDMI audio work to the tv, but I can not make both work. It seems when I turn on audio line on in the ps3 it turns the other one off, this is stipid. I would like the audio to work on both the tv and receiver depending on my need at the time. The only way I have found to make the audio work on both is to enable the HDMI audio to the tv and then run the optical out from the tv to the receiver. (BUT THE OPTICAL LINE OUT FROM THE TV IS NO DTS5.1, THE TV MANUAL SAYS THE OTICAL OUT FROM THE TV IS ONLY 2 CHANNEL.) I have other components that will allow you to plug in multiple audio outputs and they all work. Am I crazy or will the ps3 only let you activate the HDMI or optical audio, one or the other not both???? This is dumb! If anyone can help I would like to have audio on the tv and 5.1 surround on the receiver (great Dennon reciever, but pre-HDMI)
    Yeah, PS3 is one or the other.
    Samsung HL67A750
    Onkyo TXSR707
    HD-A35
    Samsung BD-P2550, Sony Playstation 3 (160GB)
    hddvd: 52+Heroes S1
    blu: 88+Heroes S2 & All Lost Seasons
    Quote Originally Posted by mike32t View Post
    I would like to have the HDMI audio work to the tv and the optical line work to the receiver (no HDMI in receiver). I can either make the otical line work to the receiver OR make the HDMI audio work to the tv, but I can not make both work.
    try this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTJJTS5InHU
    It is confusing since you get a warning that bitstream may not give you all the sound features. But I have not found any problem using bitstream. As previously stated PCM will only give you two channel sound.