Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LG OLED TVs

dbacksfan is offline HDD Contributor

Default LG OLED TVs

Anyone here have an LG OLED TV? Interested to hear impressions...

dianebrat is online now Member

2015 model LG 55EF9500
    Best damn set I've ever owned, and I had Kuro's and a Panasonic VT60

I hope the 2016 model is as good.

Also, do you have a curved or flat screen? What are pros and cons?

dianebrat is online now Member

2015 Flat, the 2016's are only better in every way.
    The 3D is spectacular, as far as picture quality the common complaint is slight banding on the panel with a 5% or 10% gray slide, mine is so minor I consider it a non-issue.

Until I did some adjustments the PQ was awful and there was a lot of judder, but the standard settings out there are on the money.

The con? gaming, the lag in the inputs as far as I can tell is a bit more on the 2015's but resolved on the 2016's but since I'm a lousy gamer it doesn't matter a lot, I'm still bad with or without lag.

IMNSHO there are zero pros to the curved screen and that's why I wanted until the flat 4K HDR 2015's came out.

Thanks for the input! I'm pretty well sold now on the flat screen. AM hoping the price might drop a little on the 2016s when the 2017s come out in March.

Boston007 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by dbacksfan View Post
    Thanks for the input! I'm pretty well sold now on the flat screen. AM hoping the price might drop a little on the 2016s when the 2017s come out in March.
    That's what Im holding off for and I am also eyeing the LG OLEDS, great minds think alike, David LOL

Don't get curved. It's a fad, and I just read manufacturers are probably going to stop making curved displays.

RobG is online now Member

I'm holding out for a Kuro curved plasma.
    Rob

Panasonic 58" V10
    Toshiba Regza 42"
    Vizio 37"
    Toshiba XA2, A-35 & A-3
    Xbox One and Panasonic DMP-BD60
    DVD - 471

Jon Liu is offline Member

A little late to the party, but I am an owner of the 65C6P OLED.

If you are looking at the different models, here is the breakdown for 2016 models:

B6P - Flat, no 3D, Realtek SoC (System on Chip) processor. 28ms lag in HDR gaming mode with the newest firmware update that came out this week.
    C6P - Curved, 3D included, same SoC as both the E and G series. 32-36ms lag for gaming. Same aesthetics/style as the B series (but curved, obviously)
    E6P - Flat, 3D included, SoC same as the C and G series. Picture on Glass, with a Soundbar
    G6P - Flat, 3D included, SoC same as the C and E series. Picture on Glass, with a Soundbar. All electronic components are built into the soundbar, so the panel itself is very thin.

Same panel is used for all four series, B, C, E, and G. So essentially the same image potential.

If you are wanting one a "budget" OLED, but are really wanting 3D, then the C6P is a no brainer. If you don't care for 3D, then go with the B6P.

Here's my personal opinion and experience:

I am not a fan of the soundbar on the E and G series. I like the picture on glass, but the soundbar really takes away from the overall look of the TVs.

I really wanted 3D, but didn't want to spring for the E or G series, so the C series was about my only option.

I normally really dislike curved screens for home usage, but the C series curve is subtle enough that it is not bothersome whatsoever.

3D is a sight to behold on OLEDs.
    1st - Passive 3D technology. I really disliked the Active Shutter glasses and tech for home 3D use.
    2nd - Due to the native contrast of the OLEDs and the absolutely amazing black levels, 3D just looks that much better on these sets.

Hands down, the best way to experience 3D. If only 3D was like this from the inception of 3D at home, I think it would have done a lot better.

Overall, coming from the 9th gen. Pioneer Elite Kuro and witnessing/experiencing so many other TVs, I have to agree that this is the best overall experience in a television that I've ever had.

4K HDR content looks stunning on it. Gaming in both SDR and HDR is really a sight to behold.

Standard Blu-rays also look amazing on this television.
    TV: LG OLED65C6P
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8801
    Amplifier: D-Sonic M2500-7
    Blu-ray/DVD Player Oppo BDP-103
    Game Console: Playstation 4 Pro, Wii U
    Speakers: GR-Research X-Voce, LS-9's, AV-1RS (x4)
    Remote: Logitech Harmony One

aido is offline Member

I've got the 2016 65E6 OLED and love it too - it's by far the best TV I've ever owned!

As you guys have seen 3D was completely dropped from the 2017 models which is a massive shame seeing as it was so good - there's a petition running at the moment to see if there's any chance it can be brought back in the future - I can't link to it though at the moment.

Overall I love the TV and the built in Plex client is great, along with the Video and Photo DLNA client I can then use to test any other media files I have lying around

Jon and aido,
    Thanks so much for your impressions of the LG OLED TVs! Really appreciate all the info! While I didn't feel an urgent need to upgrade to UltraHD, the fact that almost every manufacturer is dropping 3D spurred me on to take the plunge. I've been very happy with my LG LED 3D TV for about 5 years now, so sticking with LG is a pretty easy choice. I'll probably choose the flat screen E series despite the price increase simply because I want to maximize the viewing angle.

You guys who have big TVs now and buy new ones, what do you do with the old ones?

I want a new TV but I wouldn't know what to do with the old one

Jon Liu is offline Member

@Boston007 I ended up selling my old television on Craigslist. No problems and took only one day to sell. I know Craigslist is hit and miss, but you can always post it elsewhere, like forums like this, for local pick up. May not sell as quickly, but definitely worth a shot. Otherwise, you can just "recycle" it at your local Best Buy.

@dbacksfan Even though my 3D movie collection is relatively small only about 20-30 films, it was still an absolute must for me. I'm still kind of bummed that it's going away in the consumer market, but it is what it is. Out with the old (3D) in with the new (HDR/WCG). I think you'll be very happy with the E series once you get it. Despite my quibble with the look of the soundbar, it definitely still has a premium look over the B and C series. Plus, as you mentioned, you can take full advantage of maximizing viewing angles.
    TV: LG OLED65C6P
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8801
    Amplifier: D-Sonic M2500-7
    Blu-ray/DVD Player Oppo BDP-103
    Game Console: Playstation 4 Pro, Wii U
    Speakers: GR-Research X-Voce, LS-9's, AV-1RS (x4)
    Remote: Logitech Harmony One

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Liu View Post
    @Boston007 I ended up selling my old television on Craigslist. No problems and took only one day to sell. I know Craigslist is hit and miss, but you can always post it elsewhere, like forums like this, for local pick up. May not sell as quickly, but definitely worth a shot. Otherwise, you can just "recycle" it at your local Best Buy.

@dbacksfan Even though my 3D movie collection is relatively small only about 20-30 films, it was still an absolute must for me. I'm still kind of bummed that it's going away in the consumer market, but it is what it is. Out with the old (3D) in with the new (HDR/WCG). I think you'll be very happy with the E series once you get it. Despite my quibble with the look of the soundbar, it definitely still has a premium look over the B and C series. Plus, as you mentioned, you can take full advantage of maximizing viewing angles.

I hate to waste a nice 52" Sony XBR. It's a nice TV, so I guess craigslist but I am wary of CL.

I am in no rush which is great because prices will come down a little and the HDR stuff will settle out better.

BUT, I want a 65" OLED LG

Are the TV store salesmen trying to push the curved screens? I was in at Best Buy today with my wife to pick up something else, so decided to show her the LG OLED TVs. I talked to the salesman about the viewing angles and - just like the salesman at Costco - he said the viewing angle was BETTER with the curved screen. That's contrary to everything I have heard everywhere else. I mentioned that to him, and he stood by his statement. I also said I had heard the curved screens were being phased out, and he said just the opposite...that production of curved screens was increasing. I think I will stick with the flat screen, but I found this interesting...and disheartening.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast