Iradonian is offline Member

Blu-ray Certain Disney blu-rays just stop working

I'm having some weird issue with at least two (that I know of) blu-rays by Disney that have stopped working recently. In the sense that I get the Disney logo, get to choose the language, get to sit through all of the previews, see the loading animation and then it just stops...
    Black screen, nothing more, no main menu. You can leave it on for hours, but it won't get the menu.

The two discs I found to have this issue (I have quite the collection, there might be more I didn't get to yet) are: "The Muppets" and "Monsters Inc."
    One is an American disc all regions, the other one is a region B release. But they have the exact same issue.

The blu-ray player is a Sony BDP-S350 (not really recent) upgraded to firmware version 26, which is the last one available for this player. Both discs have always worked perfectly and are not scratched or otherwise damaged. As mentioned before, they start playing up untill right before the main menu. To my knowledge there isn't really any specific change with the player that might have caused it...

I have tried switching off the BD-live, upgraded the firmware and tried resetting the player, but nothing has worked so far. I googled the issue, but haven't found similar problems or solutions for it anywhere...
    If it's a firmware issue, I'm thinking of a downgrade as a possible solution, but I'm not sure if that's possible.

Any thoughts?

Many thanks in advance.

Attebery is offline Editor-in-Chief

Anyone else having this problem?

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Have we also tried making sure to be disconnected from the internet completely?
    And does this play require a USB flash drive be plugged in? Have you tried a different USB drive instead?

I have seen with Sony products that completely erasing out any BD Live related files from memory does the trick, be it internal memory or flash device, have seen it more related to the Playstations but some select players as well this resolves playback issues with certain studios' discs. This is regardless to BD Live being enabled or not so might want to see how to clear the files on your specific player.
    Have also seen that removing one-self from the internet fixes specific issues as well because the disc is trying to access something and there is a hang up because the accessed data is no longer there or is coming in so slowly that it takes a very long time, acting like a hangup.

I see a relatively long thread on Sony about the model 390 and similar issues. Apparently it is marked as solved. If my suggestions don't pan out, check out the thread.

https://community.sony.com/t5/Blu-Ra...yer/td-p/99903
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Hey Krawk,
    I did try to disconnect from the internet completely and also removed the usb drive.

I'll try to erase it and see if that makes a difference.
    Thanks for the link to the thread. I hadn't found that one, if your suggestions don't work I will check it out further.

RobG is online now Member

I think it's time to get out Dawn dish soap and give the discs a cleaning. Can't hurt to try. That always resolved any problems I've had with a disc.
    Rob

Panasonic 58" V10
    Toshiba Regza 42"
    Vizio 37"
    Toshiba XA2, A-35 & A-3
    Xbox One and Panasonic DMP-BD60
    DVD - 471

Vidfreek is offline Member

I recently had this issue with Crank 2 and my Sony bluray player, the space on the player itself was filled up with any of the Java stuff thats loaded over the past couple of years, put in a new USB stick and formatted it and then it played fine, took me quite some time to find that answer trying to search around for it. Older Blurays that load up stuff like that go through all of the motions until the main menu tries to load and without the proper storage on the device or in my case actually requiring the USB be inserted, nothing will happen, gotta love firmware updates and old mastered discs with that java crap, worst thing they ever decided to use for these things

Hey Guys,

Went through the other thread. Tried a bunch of things. (including erasing the osb drive)
    In the end I did a factory reset, and hard resetting the player and one of those things seems to have done the trick. Is it the factory reset or the fact that I did a hard reset at least three times this week... who knows. Settings are all set as before, but now the two discs mentioned both play.

Thanks for the help!

(my baby girl will be really happy she can watch Monsters Inc again)

Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod

Hoorah. Glad to see one of the answers helped. If I had to guess, the accumulated data in memory has caused an issue.

Disney does odd things with their discs so who knows exactly what the issue was.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"