dbacksfan is offline HDD Contributor

Default Audio Issues with Panasonic DMP-BD60

Looking for some help with an interesting audio problem with my Panasonic DMP-BD60 player. I get audio with main menus and disc supplements, but not with the feature film, although I do get audio on the alternate tracks, such as French, Spanish, commentaries, etc. What makes this issue more frustrating is that it's not consistent. Some discs will allow me to play audio with the feature film, but others will not. This player is hooked up directly to a TV via HDMI, so there is no receiver involvement and no decoding of lossless tracks. This player has worked just fine for several years and still produces a good picture. I have switched out the HDMI cable, but that hasn't solved the issue.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by dbacksfan View Post
    Looking for some help with an interesting audio problem with my Panasonic DMP-BD60 player. I get audio with main menus and disc supplements, but not with the feature film, although I do get audio on the alternate tracks, such as French, Spanish, commentaries, etc. What makes this issue more frustrating is that it's not consistent. Some discs will allow me to play audio with the feature film, but others will not. This player is hooked up directly to a TV via HDMI, so there is no receiver involvement and no decoding of lossless tracks. This player has worked just fine for several years and still produces a good picture. I have switched out the HDMI cable, but that hasn't solved the issue.
    It just stopped working without you changing anything?

What audio format is the player set to output? PCM?
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Palmer is offline Administrator

In the Audio portion of your Set Up menu, is "PCM down conversion" set to ON? And is it set to "stereo"?

Josh, yes it just stopped working one day without any changes.

Michael and Josh, the audio setup is as follows:

Dynamic Range Compression: OFF
    PCM Down Conversion: OFF
    Downmix: Stereo

Any ideas?

Palmer is offline Administrator

try Down Conversion ON and see if that helps.

I tried that and still nothing. Very frustrating! Just don't understand why this started happening.

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by dbacksfan View Post
    I tried that and still nothing. Very frustrating! Just don't understand why this started happening.
    Can you try connecting the analog stereo cables and see if that works?
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Rich86 is offline Member

I seem to recall there being issues with some players having problems with hdmi audio output if there is a secondary audio track with a "picture in picture" and the player tries to blend them for output. If your problem is with titles that have this type of special feature as part of the movie associated with english, that might explain why the problem occurs with english, but not other languages.
    Suggestion:
    Maybe try turning "BD-Video Secondary Audio" OFF & see if that makes a difference?
    this from pg. 33 of the manual.
    Sony BDP-S1000ES + Toshiba HD-A35
    Sony 1080p LED/LCD + Yamaha RX-V3900 + M&K Speakers & Subs

Thanks, Rich, for the tip! While the secondary audio feature was not the issue, it did lead me to the solution. When this player was previously hooked up to a surround sound system, I set the audio to Bitstream. When I transferred the player to another room and simply hooked it up to a TV, I never changed the setting. I never had any problems for literally years, but suddenly I had some audio issues with certain discs. I just changed the setting to PCM and that instantly solved the issue. I could have sworn I tried this previously to no avail, but maybe I didn't. Anyway, things work fine now!

Thanks to everyone who responded and tried to help! I really appreciate the input!!

Rich86 is offline Member

Must be some english language audio codecs on certain discs that your TV cannot decode and there was no fallback audio codec on the disc for the player to back off to. I assume you now have your player converting everything to PCM & your TV can handle that. Glad you were able to figure out the issue.
    Sony BDP-S1000ES + Toshiba HD-A35
    Sony 1080p LED/LCD + Yamaha RX-V3900 + M&K Speakers & Subs