Yoda is offline Member

Default Ghosting on 4k 3D

Anyone has this problem with 4K tvs yet???? I've had 4 4K passive tvs and they all had ghosting problems. I've returned all of them, it sucks because the 4K picture is outstanding and I've started to build my 4K library .

I'll try getting a newer 4K tv next year and just fix my regular 3D tv that I have, the HDMIs all went bad on my LG LM6400 that's the reason I made the jump to 4K earlier than I wanted and was disappointed
    55" LG LM6400 3D Smart TV
    3D player PS3/PS4/Xbox One
    Gamertag/PSN ID : Minute Man 721/Minute_Man_721
    Xbox 360 currently playing............
    Xbox One currently playing Quantum Break
    PS3 currently playing.........
    PS4 currently playing AC4 Black Flag

"Those that make up their mind before listening to the argument is a f#*king fool" - Chris Rock

Restore the Republic 1789 - 1913

Krawk is offline Super-Duper Mod

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I'll try getting a newer 4K tv next year and just fix my regular 3D tv that I have, the HDMIs all went bad on my LG LM6400 that's the reason I made the jump to 4K earlier than I wanted and was disappointed
    I can't help you on the ghosting issue, anyone that can though will want more info from you. Which ones have you tried?

Regarding your bad HDMI ports though, is there a known issue with that model tv or something? If not, are you scuffing your feet across carpet and static shocking the crap out of your equipment or something?!??
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

Yoda is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
    I can't help you on the ghosting issue, anyone that can though will want more info from you. Which ones have you tried?

Regarding your bad HDMI ports though, is there a known issue with that model tv or something? If not, are you scuffing your feet across carpet and static shocking the crap out of your equipment or something?!??
    Tried two Sony Bravia 900c (light bleed was horrible also) and 2 LG UF8600, all 4 of them had ghosting problems Adjusted the settings, 3D depth and veiwpoint and the ghosting would go away on a scene were it's noticable but pop right back up on another scene

LG new about the HDMI issues on the LM series but mine was fine until 2 years ago they started going one by one

I'll try a 4K 3D tv again next year

"Those that make up their mind before listening to the argument is a f#*king fool" - Chris Rock

BHlombardy is offline Member

Tried two Sony Bravia 900c (light bleed was horrible also) and 2 LG UF8600, all 4 of them had ghosting problems Adjusted the settings, 3D depth and veiwpoint and the ghosting would go away on a scene were it's noticable but pop right back up on another scene

LG new about the HDMI issues on the LM series but mine was fine until 2 years ago they started going one by one

I'll try a 4K 3D tv again next year
    Have you thought that perhaps you have bad/cheap HDMI cables?

I had a set of Amazon Basics cables that were sheer crap... the signal would cut in and out, and drop. It took me some time to figure out it was the cables. The connector would heat up so badly I could barely touch them to unplug them. I'm surprised, actually, that I didnt do damage to any of my gear.

That being said... if you had issues with your previous TV and now you're having further issues with not 1, but 4 sets... maybe the problem isn't with your TVs (??)

Especially considering you pointed out it was the HDMI port on your previous TV.

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

3D ghosting is an inherent flaw in LCD technology. I don't think it will necessarily be any better or worse on a 4k set than a 1080p set.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

HDTV1080P is offline Banned

For the best quality 3-D get a DLP projector that offers 144Hz triple flash technology. No ghosting, no flicker issues, and no eye fatigue. Optoma makes several low cost under $1,000 1080P projectors with 144Hz triple flash technology. 4K is not needed for 3-D since the Blu-ray specs only supports 3-D at 1920 x 1080.

Of course not everyone has a dedicated dark home theater room to mount a ceiling front projector.

Yoda is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by BHlombardy View Post
    Have you thought that perhaps you have bad/cheap HDMI cables?
    I had 4K cables and it ghosts when I'm streaming 3D off Netflix but my older tv has no ghosting issues when I streamed off Netflix. I'll try and grab another 4K tv in Oct or sometime next year.

caliminius is offline Member

I had 4K cables and it ghosts when I'm streaming 3D off Netflix but my older tv has no ghosting issues when I streamed off Netflix. I'll try and grab another 4K tv in Oct or sometime next year.
    What 3D content is available on Netflix? I didn't think they ever did streaming 3D.

Yoda is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by caliminius View Post
    What 3D content is available on Netflix? I didn't think they ever did streaming 3D.
    They have a small selection

caliminius is offline Member

They have a small selection
    I googled their 3D selection. I don't think I've heard of at least 90-95% of the movies/shows listed. It's no wonder I wasn't aware they had any.

Superman1 is offline Member

ps3 HD vs UHD 3D

I just got a 65" UHD passive 3D TV, and ghosting may be very slightly more apparent than my 47" HD 3D TV before, but still only if you look for it.
    The lines are even finer on a 55," UHD but the up and down vertical viewing leeway on my biggy seems about the same as the HD TV.
    But as you know, the advantage of 4K is no lines when close.

The pic is still spectacular and on a movie I can hardly notice it.
    So I doubt new 4Ks can be better, except if bigger. Unless OLED improves it somehow.
    Sony I think did not full HD per eye on their 55," UHD, only 65" and up.
    Last edited by Superman1; 05-03-2017 at 11:38 PM.

dianebrat is online now Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superman1 View Post
    So I doubt new 4Ks can be better, except if bigger. Unless OLED improves it somehow.
    The 3D on my LG 55EF9500 is spectacular with no ghosting or flaws in any way, best I've ever seen, so you can add that data point.
    It's about to become moot since manufacturers are dropping 3D support like a hot potato in many of the 2017 models

Superman1 is offline Member

Question

That's another plus for OLED.
    I double checked my two TVs with the same disc and the difference is almost negligible for ghosting in 3D, apart from size making things more apparent (but oddly there is one spot with more). I think you can notice more at the cinema, but again usually only if you look for that.
    Yes James Cameron needs to release AVATAR II quick, to boost 3D again.

If your OLED has motion compensation/frame interpolation, does it have artifacts/halos around fast-moving objects?
    Last edited by Superman1; 05-04-2017 at 01:22 AM.