Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    Laguz's Avatar
    Laguz is offline Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Jersey Shore
    Posts
    58

    Default Do Region-Free Players Work?

    A lot of blu-rays that I want to get come from foreign countries and are locked for a different region. Do the "region-free" blu-ray players actually work? Are they modded players? Are they guaranteed to work, or is it hit or miss? If they're actually legit, does anyone recommend a good one?

    And for some reason, it's hard to find a clear answer on the PS4. Is IT region-free as far as blu-rays go?

    Thanks for any info!
    I fly a gigantic monster
    I am captain evil stopper
    I get to wear big black helmet
    I pilot the HATREDCOPTER

  2. #2
    Krawk's Avatar
    Krawk is online now Super-Duper Mod
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Maine
    Posts
    10,318

    Default

    Actually the term for Blu Ray players is all-region but technically you have to select the region you wish to use (A B or C) before inserting the disc. You don't have to select the region every time, just when you want to change it. Which player are you looking at getting? There are several reputable dealers out there but also a few that want to take advantage you you as well. I had shopped for an all region player and the cost of the players out there with the mods vs me just buying an Oppo 103 and buying a self install mod (very easy to do) was within $75. The extra $75 was worth it for buying a Cadillac of BD players. I then opted for the extra $100 to get the "D" model for the Darbee enhancer.

    A "region-free" dvd is actually setting the player to region 0 as opposed to 1-6. MOST players handle that aspect very well. I have a couple of Philips dvd players kicking around that have never had any issues whatsoever being set to region 0. I had read somewhere that certain Disney movies refuse to play unless you actually set it to a specific region, the region that matches the disc obviously.
    Keep Physical Media Alive, Just say NO to digital "ownership"

  3. #3
    Josh Z's Avatar
    Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    11,449

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laguz View Post
    And for some reason, it's hard to find a clear answer on the PS4. Is IT region-free as far as blu-rays go?
    The PS4 is locked to the region you buy it in. Any major brand Blu-ray player will be. Making the player region free is a violation of the Blu-ray licensing agreement. There's no way a brand like Sony or Panasonic will ever do that, though some off-brand Chinese models may try to get away with it.

    I don't think anything can be done for a gaming console, but most standalone Blu-ray players can be modified for region-switching playback by installing a hardware mod. Some of these are very easy to install and can be done in minutes. Others are more complicated and require soldering. Check JVB Digital to see what's available for whichever player model you're interested in.

    http://www.jvbdigital.nl/jvb.asp

    JVB will also sell pre-modified players, but the price markup is usually ridiculous.

    As Krawk mentioned, these region mods can generally be set to a default "all region" mode for DVDs that will play discs from any region without pushing any buttons. However, Blu-ray playback requires you to manually choose your region whenever you want to switch. This usually entails pushing a specific combination of buttons on the player remote. (I programmed the codes as macros into my Harmony universal remote so I don't need to memorize them.)
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

  4. #4
    Boston007's Avatar
    Boston007 is online now Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    9,785

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Laguz View Post
    A lot of blu-rays that I want to get come from foreign countries and are locked for a different region. Do the "region-free" blu-ray players actually work? Are they modded players? Are they guaranteed to work, or is it hit or miss? If they're actually legit, does anyone recommend a good one?

    And for some reason, it's hard to find a clear answer on the PS4. Is IT region-free as far as blu-rays go?

    Thanks for any info!
    I have an Oppo 103 with the region unlock mod.
    I have had no issues playing Region B blu rays, I don't know if I own any Region C.

    These region free players can be pricy

  5. #5
    ShannonNutt's Avatar
    ShannonNutt is online now HDD Reviewer/Blogger
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    609

    Default

    I also have the Oppo 103 (D model, with Darbee) and have had no problems playing other region's discs - and I've imported from every region.

    Switching regions on the Oppo is pretty easy - hit a series of buttons on the remote, turn the player off and back on, and you're in the region of your choice.
    "I'm trying Ringo...I"m trying real hard to be the shepherd."

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    32

    Default

    I bought one from Bombay Electronics on eBay. I can switch the region with a flick of a key, and it does all DVD regions too. At one point I had issues with the DVD regions, they sent me a free download, I put it on a disc, and it fixed it find. I haven't had any problems so far otherwise .

    Quote Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
    The PS4 is locked to the region you buy it in. Any major brand Blu-ray player will be. Making the player region free is a violation of the Blu-ray licensing agreement. There's no way a brand like Sony or Panasonic will ever do that, though some off-brand Chinese models may try to get away with it.

    I don't think anything can be done for a gaming console, but most standalone Blu-ray players can be modified for region-switching playback by installing a hardware mod. Some of these are very easy to install and can be done in minutes. Others are more complicated and require soldering. Check JVB Digital to see what's available for whichever player model you're interested in.

    http://www.jvbdigital.nl/jvb.asp

    JVB will also sell pre-modified players, but the price markup is usually ridiculous.

    As Krawk mentioned, these region mods can generally be set to a default "all region" mode for DVDs that will play discs from any region without pushing any buttons. However, Blu-ray playback requires you to manually choose your region whenever you want to switch. This usually entails pushing a specific combination of buttons on the player remote. (I programmed the codes as macros into my Harmony universal remote so I don't need to memorize them.)
    I've always assumed that some savvy gamers have a variety of aftermarket/under the radar stuff that they can do make consoles region-free if they really want, albeit probably sometimes wonky. If they're as resourceful as film fans, they may have their ways .

  7. #7
    cash's Avatar
    cash is offline Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    795

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hanshotfirst1138 View Post
    I bought one from Bombay Electronics on eBay. I can switch the region with a flick of a key, and it does all DVD regions too. At one point I had issues with the DVD regions, they sent me a free download, I put it on a disc, and it fixed it find. I haven't had any problems so far otherwise .



    I've always assumed that some savvy gamers have a variety of aftermarket/under the radar stuff that they can do make consoles region-free if they really want, albeit probably sometimes wonky. If they're as resourceful as film fans, they may have their ways .
    BR based game on the PS4 are in fact region free. BR movie playback on the other hand is not.
    Gaming: XBL/PSN/Steam-DonDonRaiden

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,287

    Default

    I bought a pre-modded Sony 3D player a few years or so ago (you can see it mentioned in my sig). It's not uber fancy as players go, and the markup for it being pre-modded was a bit excessive, but I'm not at all the handy sort with such things, so I opted to get something someone else had done instead.

    I've had no problems playing A/B/C region BDs once I set the region, and I have a set of PAL DVDs and I never had problems playing those back either.
    Current Computer Rig; 6850k (OCed to 4.0GHz), MSI GTX 1080 Twin Frozr VI, Asus X99-A, 32GB 3200MHz Ram, 2x 500GB 850 EVOs SSDs (OS/Programs | High Priority Games), 1x6TB WD Black (Media), 1x4TB WD Black (Games). Bunch of externals.
    Peripherals; Asus 23" 1080p 120hz Monitor, HTC Vive, Logitech G933 Wireless 7.1 Headphones, Corsair Sabre RGB, Logitech G510 Keyboard
    Region Free Player: Sony BDP-S5100

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.5.1 PL1