paaron46 is offline Movie Dude

Default Marantz DTS:X upgrade

I just contacted customer support to ask about the DTS:X upgrade for my Marantz 1606 slimline receiver. All I got back was a vague maybe it'll be released "mid-2016."

Ugh! Frustrating. This DTS:X roll out has been a cluster-cuss.

Palmer is offline HDD Contributer

Particularly frustrating because when X finally does arrive via firmware upgrade, it works well... but is the exact same thing Atmos did from day one two years ago.* Also, does your 1606 only offer Dolby Surround for Dolby codecs and PCM, or will it upmix DTS stuff as well? The Denon X6200W has split up-mixing duties.

(*All mixes depend on individual filmmakers for effectiveness, and I stillneed to do more DSU vs Neural:X comparisons.)

malakai is offline Member

Basically same thing with Pioneer's SC-95/97/99 receivers. I thought long and hard about becoming an early investor in one of these DTS:X receivers but am so glad I didn't. By the time they get a DTS:X firmware update, hopefully they'll come down in price a few hundred dollars.

Josh Z is offline HDD Blogmaster General

Quote Originally Posted by Palmer View Post
    Also, does your 1606 only offer Dolby Surround for Dolby codecs and PCM, or will it upmix DTS stuff as well? The Denon X6200W has split up-mixing duties.
    My understanding is that, on all Denon and Marantz models, even if the receiver allowed DSU to be applied to DTS codecs before the firmware update, that ability gets removed when you install the DTS:X firmware. DSU will only work on Dolby codecs, and Neural:X will only work on DTS codecs. Either can still be applied to PCM, however.
    Josh Z
    Writer/Editor, High-Def Digest (Blog updated daily!)
    Curator, Laserdisc Forever
    My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.

Quote Originally Posted by malakai View Post
    Basically same thing with Pioneer's SC-95/97/99 receivers. I thought long and hard about becoming an early investor in one of these DTS:X receivers but am so glad I didn't. By the time they get a DTS:X firmware update, hopefully they'll come down in price a few hundred dollars.
    At least it does Atmos too, so all is not lost. It's just frustrating because I have a couple DTS:X titles that I'd love to hear in DTS:X, but just can't. I'm also jonesing to try out the DTS:X Headphones option.

THIS FINALLY POPPED UP ON MY RECEIVER LAST NIGHT!!!

I've been waiting forever for Marantz to send out the DTS:X update. It's installing right now. Can't wait to try it out. Really can't wait to hear what the headphones option is like.

Boston007 is online now Member

They can install that via firmware? wow nice